1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Industry Videos: Why don't they understand the importance of VO audio?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by imagegod, Aug 4, 2018.

1. SoNowWhat?

SoNowWhat? realised I can type here

Jul 26, 2016
    “...it is a story of deeziyah.”

Tom Waites says hi. :cool:

Saxer and Land of Missing Parts like this.
  2. gsilbers

gsilbers Part of Pulsesetter-Sounds.com

im not finding anything wrong with the initial video. i later checked the spitfire one and both sounded about the same. the VO commercial channel strip processing and close mic. and music was relative ok to VO levels.
    It needs to be present as it needs to be clear for the audience. Selling something requires it.

3. NYC Composer

NYC Composer Senior Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Copy bothers me more than voices. I hate being told how “fantastic” or “great” each preset sounds. Talking about being proud of the work is fine, descriptive stuff like “warm” or “full”, fine, but raving on about the wonderfullness, not so much for me.

4. omiroad

omiroad Senior Member

Oct 17, 2016
  5. robgb

robgb I Have Strong Opinions

Apr 6, 2016
    The video sounds fine. And this is a pointless thread.

gsilbers likes this.
  6. Saxer

Saxer Senior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Frankfurt/Germany
    I like it when the 'makers' of a library or plugin show their work. No matter how they talk... they are some of us. Professional moderators are just talking about a product and try to sell something. At least that's the way I feel it.

omiroad likes this.
  7. miket

miket Senior Member

May 17, 2016
    There is one developer whose videos I flat out can't watch because of the voiceovers. Otherwise, it seems like it's more often an issue with YouTube reviewers and the like.

Saxer likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    imagegod

imagegod Senior Member

Apr 18, 2016
    To my surprise, this has turned into another 'Laural/Yanni' split...some people absolutely do not hear it or do not care. To me, when I hear Olivier, Welles, Langella, my brain just lights up. I guess I'm just a director at heart! When I watch a movie, if the dialogue is buried (either under noise, or poorly eq'ed), it kills me every time.

Take this clip for example...you almost never hear this much clarity in almost any movie...even when the dialogue is 'looped':

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    Polkasound likes this.
  9. My biggest complaint about this type of voice over is rushing over words and ducking the volume of them
    which makes it hard to follow.

In other words ... very poor articulation.

I only listened in for about 2 sentences until I bailed.
    I'll never listen to this type of voice over.
    Very irritating. And I agree that it's a lack of awareness.

Polkasound likes this.
  10. gregh

gregh Senior Member

Feb 1, 2015
    vocal fry is not harmful to the voice - you may or may not like it and I guess if you don't like it then bad luck to you coz it is one of the possible variations in spoken voice and you are going to hear it. In some languages you are going to hear it all the time.
    Over the last few years a fair bit has been written about it, here's one take https://theconversation.com/keep-an-eye-on-vocal-fry-its-all-about-power-status-and-gender-45883

my least favourite part of industry videos is opening titles - give me about 2 secs max but after that I really don't want to see some animation or listen to whooshy sounds. I just want the info.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Polkasound likes this.
  11. Polkasound

Polkasound Senior Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'll never forget something I noticed once day while driving through a neighborhood about ten years ago. It was a sign posted on someone's lawn by a handyman offering painting and remodeling services. The sign, however, was an out-of-square, warped piece of wood with hand-painted, poorly-spaced, sloppy lettering. The irony of that sight stuck with me all these years, because this person's business was working with wood and paint.

Likewise, I think it's important that anyone who works in audio makes sure their videos are well-balanced and have intelligible dialog. The voiceover work in the OP's posted video didn't really bother me though. It could have been better, but not everyone has voiceover skills. Hiring a voiceover artist for a radio commercial is necessary, but for a VI walkthrough video, I don't think it really matters unless the person doing the walkthrough is Captain Jack Sparrow or Boomhauer. Excellent VO work in a VI walkthrough video is kind of like proper grammar in a text -- impressive, but not necessary.

I agree, but I tend to give people a lot of latitude when they are voicing their own videos because people are generally not aware of the issues others perceive in their voices. People who speak even the most garbled, unintelligible mush hear themselves speaking just fine, even when they are listening to audio of their own voice played back. Hearing sloppiness in one's own speech takes a bit of experience, and correcting it takes skill.

Not to derail the thread, but I liked the early days of YouTube when people just uploaded raw video. Now everyone is a content creator with their own channel and flashy introduction. I've gotten into the habit of automatically jumping ahead 10-30 seconds into every video I watch.

gregh likes this.