What's new

Incorporating guitar pedals into DAW set-up?

chimuelo

Star Of Stage & Screen
Nice set up.
Radial makes great gear.
I’ve got the Key Largo Mixer, 8 Channel Space Heater and Plexi for Marshall Tube Sound.

I’m still tweaking my Strymon Pedals, only started using them live 3 weeks ago.
I’m really getting a signature sound using them.
A really impressive algorithm is the Spring Reverb Clean with a short decay for Horn Sections.
CHein Horn, Warp IV, NI Session and BBB all using same articulations layered and zoned with the Spring is awesome.
I get that old Phil Collins Tom Sound on the Horns.
I play covers these days and to tolerate being a live juke box I need a packed dance floor and good sounding gear.
They get their moneys worth for my meager 100 bucks a night.

OP
will_m

will_m

This might be a silly question but could I use a 2 channel DI box to be both the link from the interface to the pedals and also from the pedals back to the interface?

So connect an output from my interface to one channel on the the DI, then into the pedals. Then from the output of the pedals to the other channel on the DI then onto the input on my interface.

I'd obviously need to have one channel of the DI box in reverse.

Something like this one:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/palmer_pan_04.htm

Mojo Bone

Media Whore
The short answer is no. Your app requires a step up transformer [to DAW] and a step down transformer, [from DAW] and that is two passive step up transformers in a box. Although it's passive, that doesn't mean it'll work backwards, even if you build the weird cables it would require. OTOH, it's well worth the investment if you have stompboxes with stereo outputs, such as panned or ping-pong delays and just about every chorus, flanger or modulator. Many interfaces feature one or more high-impedance instrument level inputs, but the IKMultimedia one mentioned upthread is the only one I'm aware of that has a Hi-Z instrument-level output.

There are some stompboxes that will accept line-level signals; off the top of my head, Korg SDD3000, Eventide H9 Maximizer and the venerable Boss CE-1 Chorus Ensemble which was originally designed to work with stage keyboards. The Korg even has selectable output levels, as well as input.There are also some all-in-one digital pedalboards with re-amping built in, like Line6's Helix.

Last edited:
OP
will_m

will_m

The short answer is no. Your app requires a step up transformer [to DAW] and a step down transformer, [from DAW] and that is two passive step up transformers in a box. Although it's passive, that doesn't mean it'll work backwards, even if you build the weird cables it would require. OTOH, it's well worth the investment if you have stompboxes with stereo outputs, such as panned or ping-pong delays and just about every chorus, flanger or modulator. Many interfaces feature one or more high-impedance instrument level inputs, but the IKMultimedia one mentioned upthread is the only one I'm aware of that has a Hi-Z instrument-level output.

There are some stompboxes that will accept line-level signals; off the top of my head, Korg SDD3000, Eventide H9 Maximizer and the venerable Boss CE-1 Chorus Ensemble which was originally designed to work with stage keyboards. The Korg even has selectable output levels, as well as input.There are also some all-in-one digital pedalboards with re-amping built in, like Line6's Helix.
Ah right thanks, I think I got confused after reading this article where they refer to a reverse DI, which I thought was using a regular DI but in reverse, as opposed to a separate product that is actually a reverse DI that steps down the signal.

https://www.justaphase.blog/home/2019/1/31/pedals

If if have a pedal that does accept line level, (for example I think a lot of the Strymons do) does that mean it is stepping down withing the pedal itself so the output from that pedal can then go into other pedals that don't take line level?

Would the best set-up be a re-amp box to step down the signal from my DAW, then a DI box from the pedals back into the DAW?

The Radial EXTC-SA looks great but I'd rather save the money for the pedals themselves if I can.

I still want to use the pedals with my guitar so I guess I'll have to switch between them somehow.

Mojo Bone

Media Whore
"Would the best set-up be a re-amp box to step down the signal from my DAW, then a DI box from the pedals back into the DAW?"

In a word, yes. Just bite that bullet, cuz the situation is gonna arise. Some pedals have a buffer stage, meaning their output is lo-Z, to allow longer cable runs with less noise, which is generally a good thing for guitar signals, cuz pickups are great antennae for stray electromagnetic interference, but a buffer is pretty much the last thing you'd want to have in your chain ahead of a fuzz pedal, particularly the vintage sort that consists of a couple diodes or transistors; those are extremely sensitive to input impedance and won't sound right behind a buffer. If you're applying fuzz to a synth track coming from a DAW, this is where you'll definitely need the stepdown Xformer.

Pedals that are designed for use in an amp's effects loop (delays, reverbs, modulators) you can experiment with the order, it'll make a difference, but maybe not enough to matter as much as whether your chorus is in front of or behind your distortion pedal. These time-based effects may be able to accept signal from your DAW without impedance conversion, depending on your interface.

Prosumer interfaces can operate at -10dB, rather than the professional console standard of +4dB; rack effects often are switchable between the two, and when placed in an amp's effects loop are comfortable at -10dB. You can generally mix and match with pedals that play well in an amp's FX loop.

A handy pedal that will work backwards is an ABY switch; you might want that for switching your sources or for selecting FX chains and if any of your pedals is a looper, you might want to add an outboard mixer for even more input/output flexibility.

Last edited:
OP
will_m

will_m

Thanks @Mojo Bone , that's great. I think I'll go with the re-amp and DI set-up for now and maybe upgrade to the Radial box in the future if its something I use a lot.

My interface is the RME UFX+ and I'm pretty sure you can select between +4 -10 and a 'hi gain' setting for the outputs, so I'll bear that in mind with other rack effects.

Top Bottom