What's new

In praise of scoreclub

I have taken seven of those courses. Wonderful stuff that has helped me review and build on what I learned in school so many years ago.

I asked Alain about his new course, which I guess Ed is showing, and I begged him to consider it for a non-subscriber rate. I'm willing to pay a premium for it.

I have taken seven of those courses. Wonderful stuff that has helped me review and build on what I learned in school so many years ago.

I asked Alain about his new course, which I guess Ed is showing, and I begged him to consider it for a non-subscriber rate. I'm willing to pay a premium for it.

I'm curious. Why not subscribe ?

best

e

I'm curious. Why not subscribe ?

best

e
lol I was JUST looking at the new website and hadn't realized what the cost was. But what I communicated to Alain was it takes me a while to get through a class. I'm a slow learner and try to be comprehensive. It took me almost a calendar year to get through OTL2 because I'm doing it in 'dribs/drabs' and breaks from other projects and gigs. I'm also 'honest' and really do the 'end of section' suggested exercises. I mean I have notebooks of course notes and sketch exercises from all my previous purchases. So I guess its a time cost thing of paying for another subscription for something that if I had it in say a textbook form that I can pull out when I need it; it might fit my lifestyle. I'm working daily through OTL3 because my gig went on hiatus during the quarantine.
But I'm not complaining about the cost at ALL. On VI I push Scoreclub all the time. Whenever I see the 'how do I get started composing posts?' My answer is 'SCORECLUB'
I personally would love Alain's approach to other aspects of our craft. Mixing and Mastering, midi Programming, DAW building lol. Speaking as someone who used to be in music education but changed his major; 'Alain is knowledgeable, enthusiastic, AND practical.'

Has Alain finished his 'Advanced Tonal Harmony' course yet? And is it as good as his other courses?

I am wondering is Scoreclub is suited for people with very low theory knowledge. I learn music decades ago and now I just play for fun but I forgot most of the things.
Tempted to join the club several times but I am afraid that is a waste of money if you don't have the minimum level.

In a way I just look at it like a patreon, where I am supporting his good work.
Yeah I mean. I use stuff all the time. I look at it like I look at my other subscriptions. There are times I've had AVID Sibileus and stop it but then keep Pro Tools per say. Regarding Scoreclub, I've done most of the courses prior to the subscription but Alain said, at the time, he wasn't going to release new things outside of it. Also, I have done some of the contests but I've yet to do some of the monthly score studies. There's more value there than I feel people realize. Also, his critiques are constructive.. I've revised sketches I've turned in. Yeah I think of it like a college master class

I am wondering is Scoreclub is suited for people with very low theory knowledge. I learn music decades ago and now I just play for fun but I forgot most of the things.
Tempted to join the club several times but I am afraid that is a waste of money if you don't have the minimum level.
Well what I shared before was I had freshman theory like 32 years ago. That's why I went to Scoreclub because I was like, 'before I drop $$ on Berklee or USC extensions stuff, let me check some things out.' I mean it was more of a confidence thing for me as I do use things from school but I'm not thinking about it. IMO the Essentials Composer Class is like a good highschool theory or freshman college level. I had counterpoint my 3rd year of school and Alain used species I can't even remember. Try the essentials class and if that seems easy jump a few lessons or try another course.

What I like about Alain's stuff compared to other things out there is he is very pedagogical. I don't remember my school, beyond ensembles and specific composition assignments, being as musical as what Alain does. He applies the theory stuff quickly and musically all the time.

My only constructive critque would be more modern film scores to analyze. There's copyright issues and , not that Alain says this, but the attitude that modern film music changes too much on the stage and it's better to look at older scores anyway.

Well what I shared before was I had freshman theory like 32 years ago. That's why I went to Scoreclub because I was like, 'before I drop $$ on Berklee or USC extensions stuff, let me check some things out.' I mean it was more of a confidence thing for me as I do use things from school but I'm not thinking about it. IMO the Essentials Composer Class is like a good highschool theory or freshman college level. I had counterpoint my 3rd year of school and Alain used species I can't even remember. Try the essentials class and if that seems easy jump a few lessons or try another course.

What I like about Alain's stuff compared to other things out there is he is very pedagogical. I don't remember my school, beyond ensembles and specific composition assignments, being as musical as what Alain does. He applies the theory stuff quickly and musically all the time.

My only constructive critque would be more modern film scores to analyze. There's copyright issues and , not that Alain says this, but the attitude that modern film music changes too much on the stage and it's better to look at older scores anyway.
You are right. I can try just one month and see.
I studied very basic theory when I was a teenager and I was learning piano, one life ago... lol. Barely I remember how to read a music sheet at the speed of a turtle. :)

You are right. I can try just one month and see.
I studied very basic theory when I was a teenager and I was learning piano, one life ago... lol. Barely I remember how to read a music sheet at the speed of a turtle. :)
I knew no music theory when I began studying at Score Club. His 'Foundation' course (also called 'Essential Composer Course') is an entry-level theory class, and it was so understandable and so thorough---much better than any YouTube video. The guy just knows how to teach, in a very step-by-step fashion, with great visual/audio examples along the way. The courses get more advanced as they progress. It's a very solid, and well-thought-out curriculum.

And yeah, I'm not crazy about the subscription model either. I understand why Alain did it, but it's not ideal from a student perspective. To get the most out of the classes, you need to go slow, and actually do the exercises, which he emphasizes. Just passively watching videos doesn't get you anywhere.

Is there a poor man’s scoreclub that is of comparable quality? :) I’m very much in a dilemma about this because while I know it’s a great course (based on popular opinion), it’s still very expensive. I like to work at my own pace, and I just feel that the monthly fee adds too much pressure to get my money’s worth.

Last edited:
imo anything 2nd to score club would be a very very distant second. Though I will admit I don't feel positive about his subscription model - rather than learning on my own time I will have to work on a new course for a month and then unsub until another class comes out.

imo anything 2nd to score club would be a very very distant second. Though I will admit I don't feel positive about his subscription model - rather than learning on my own time I will have to work on a new course for a month and then unsub until another class comes out.
have you done the new tonal harmony? If you unsubscribe for a time, can you resubscribe at the same price?

Top Bottom