In a Land of Myth [Orchestrated]

tonaliszt

Really nice tune and arrangement.

It's very tough to write a good tune with such a wide range (a tenth in the opening) and you did a great job.

The phrase extension of the V the first time around really surprised me - I would have felt ending on Eb major there would have worked better considering the sweet nature of the tune.

In general, I think (and this is always an issue orchestrating in MIDI) is not to make the phrases so distinct orchestrational. It will be a lot nicer if you fade things a bit more instead of introducing something new every few bars. For example some building material at 1:56.

And wow that vocal sample is really nice! I think instead of the crescendo at 2:30, getting to that high note sweetly and softly would be really cool.

OP
Duncan Formosa

Duncan Formosa

Really nice tune and arrangement.

It's very tough to write a good tune with such a wide range (a tenth in the opening) and you did a great job.

The phrase extension of the V the first time around really surprised me - I would have felt ending on Eb major there would have worked better considering the sweet nature of the tune.

In general, I think (and this is always an issue orchestrating in MIDI) is not to make the phrases so distinct orchestrational. It will be a lot nicer if you fade things a bit more instead of introducing something new every few bars. For example some building material at 1:56.

And wow that vocal sample is really nice! I think instead of the crescendo at 2:30, getting to that high note sweetly and softly would be really cool.
Thank you, I'm glad you like it!

Are you meaning 0:30 for the Eb Major? Not sure about this, to me that makes it sound like the piece is over before it's started, whereas the V has more of a "oh, there's more to come." That's the feel I get at least anyway, everyone's got their own taste.

Hmm, I agree, perhaps I should introduce the new orchestrational elements a tad sooner so that it's not just going "okay, we've changed the orchestration now." Could maybe play around with that.

Took a while to try and get the solo voice to go the way I wanted but it was worth the effort in the end. That high Bb though...there's no way to get that to sound sweetly and softly. It's quite aggressive even with the modwheel all the way down. I think it works though, since the piece has been pretty soft and quiet up until that point, makes a good climax (for me anyway) before rounding off the piece by ending where we started.

I like hearing all the different opinions though and getting all the different ideas cause you could experiment with the same piece and come up with something new.

tonaliszt

Are you meaning 0:30 for the Eb Major? Not sure about this, to me that makes it sound like the piece is over before it's started, whereas the V has more of a "oh, there's more to come." That's the feel I get at least anyway, everyone's got their own taste.
Yeah, exactly that spot. I hear it as being in C minor, so the Eb isn't super conclusive to me. There certainly are themes that need to end on the V, but I find those are the more actiony ones like the Star Wars main title. Most slower themes like this (see any Mozart 2cd mov., Yoda's theme, etc.) usually end the theme on the tonic. This gets to differences between Sentance and Period phrase structure (one ends on V, other ends on I), which are generally used in different situations.

If you're set on the V, I would take a look at the orchestration of Leia's theme which also ends on a V, which helps set it up to be more conclusive despite the harmonic openness.

Sorry for the annoying Star Wars references, and the piece definitely works as is right now, but this might be useful stuff to explore in the future.

Hope others give some opinions too!

OP
Duncan Formosa

Duncan Formosa

Yeah, exactly that spot. I hear it as being in C minor, so the Eb isn't super conclusive to me. There certainly are themes that need to end on the V, but I find those are the more actiony ones like the Star Wars main title. Most slower themes like this (see any Mozart 2cd mov., Yoda's theme, etc.) usually end the theme on the tonic. This gets to differences between Sentance and Period phrase structure (one ends on V, other ends on I), which are generally used in different situations.

If you're set on the V, I would take a look at the orchestration of Leia's theme which also ends on a V, which helps set it up to be more conclusive despite the harmonic openness.

Sorry for the annoying Star Wars references, and the piece definitely works as is right now, but this might be useful stuff to explore in the future.

Hope others give some opinions too!
I wouldn't say the references were annoying (I mean who doesn't like the Star Wars scores.)

It's definitely something to experiment with and helps expand my musical vocabulary. That's why I enjoy getting feedback, trying to find new things I hadn't had thought of to try. Even if I don't use them in this piece, I might create a whole new piece from it or when I'm stuck on ideas I could go "oh wait, I could try that."

Would rather you gave me your actual thoughts than just "it's nice" or "it's s***" :emoji_joy: