Improving Percussion programming

fretti

Hi all,

just getting into (at least for me) more complex percussion programming.
I'm far from being good at that, though I'm trying to get better at percussion programming without relying on libraries like Damage or Action Strikes; but to program all by myself.

Would like to here some critique here: whats good, whats bad? Where can I improve, what would you do different? Should there be bigger changes? etc. etc.

BTW: I'm fine if you take/rip it completely apart if you find it horrible, as long as there is a suggestion on how I can improve in that part you found to be bad;)

Last edited:

John Busby

Musician/Composer
good track bro!
what perc are you using here, Action Strikes?

good tips that i've gained along the way:
- Orchestrate first, program last (i adopted this after seeing a post from HZ some years ago on the forum), granted this is personal preference but man does it help to have awesome orchestration that you can fine tune and that's complimentary and not intrusive and you actually HEAR without having wall to wall drums in your face.
- keep the full spectrum in your writing, i.e. lows, mids, highs. Action Strikes covers this really well and if you lack the inspiration to write your own, there ain't nothing wrong with hitting 1 note of AS and having exactly what you need. i've done it.
- learn from other composers and also pre-programmed midi, namely East West's Storm Drum 2 (there are midi files you can drag and drop in your project)

track pointers
- don't be afraid of the high end, use some saturation to help breathe some air into the mix
- the orchestration is okay, but a full orchestra would really help beef everything up
- consider using tam tams for cymbal swells and other mid to hi level perc stuff to fill the spectrum out
(what perc libraries do you have other than Damage and Action strikes?)

great track tho, keep it coming!

OP
fretti

fretti

good track bro!
what perc are you using here, Action Strikes?

track pointers
- don't be afraid of the high end, use some saturation to help breathe some air into the mix
- the orchestration is okay, but a full orchestra would really help beef everything up
- consider using tam tams for cymbal swells and other mid to hi level perc stuff to fill the spectrum out
(what perc libraries do you have other than Damage and Action strikes?)

great track tho, keep it coming!
Thank you very much! Really appreciate your feedback:)

The basic rhythm is done with Metropolis Ark 1 and HZPP, wich are then layered with APE and the new Epic Toms from 8Dio; Cymbals in the background are also HZPP.

And just recently bought SAGA, so the libraries I have, but so far not the capabilities in programming to actually get something great out of them; wich is why I started trying to do more percussion based tracks, to really get to know what I have:)
Also just bought the Rhythm and Perc. masterclass from Mike Verta to really get more into detail on that stuff.