What's new

IMOXPLUS Respiro. Fascinating EWI / physical modeling wind instrument

OP
doctoremmet

doctoremmet

Thanks for chiming in Rudy and cool of you to join us here on VI-C. I highly appreciate having you around. There are quite a few PM afficionados on here - and a lot of “artificial” wind players as well. Looking forward to interact with you! ❤️

It is always nice to have “direct access” to developers who are nice enough to spend some of their time on here!

stubbsonic

I'm a huge fan of Respiro, Imoxplus, and RUDY!

Full disclosure, I wrote the English version of both the desktop and the iOS manuals. During that process, the more I learned, the more my mind was blown by Rudy's incredible skill, wisdom, creative vision and attention to details. Respiro is a software masterpiece.

In the configuration stage, you can choose from several modes of operation based on your preferred controller. You can fine-tune the response with great flexibility and detail-- a process which one user described like being able to choose an expensive reed.

Respiro includes a large number of instruments and variations of them. It is like being in a wild instrument store and trying out all these marvelous different instruments.

As is mentioned in the description, Respiro is not about creating spot-on simulations of real instruments-- though it can get pretty close in some cases. It is about creative new sounds, new scales/tuning, visceral response, powerful modulation, and joy.

Respiro is everything I wanted in a wind synth and more.

D Halgren

Full disclosure, I wrote the English version of both the desktop and the iOS manuals. During that process, the more I learned, the more my mind was blown by Rudy's incredible skill, wisdom, creative vision and attention to details. Respiro is a software masterpiece.

In the configuration stage, you can choose from several modes of operation based on your preferred controller. You can fine-tune the response with great flexibility and detail-- a process which one user described like being able to choose an expensive reed.

Respiro includes a large number of instruments and variations of them. It is like being in a wild instrument store and trying out all these marvelous different instruments.

As is mentioned in the description, Respiro is not about creating spot-on simulations of real instruments-- though it can get pretty close in some cases. It is about creative new sounds, new scales/tuning, visceral response, powerful modulation, and joy.

Now if I can just get a hold of a Photon! Can't wait for that!

OP
doctoremmet

doctoremmet

It is indeed an extremely well developed instrument that delivers!

Tralen

It is indeed an extremely well developed instrument that delivers!
Doc, what do you think of Respiro's flutes? Do you think it can handle some believable ethnic or orchestral flute performances?

I'm thinking on getting Respiro, instead of buying a bunch of different flute libraries.

OP
doctoremmet

doctoremmet

I bet it could, although Respiro doesn’t pretend to NOT be a synth if you know what I mean. So it largely depends on the type of “realism” you’re after and I guess the arrangement you needed those ethnic flutes for? The more “ethnic” you’d want your flute to sound (maybe “alien” is a better adjective in this context?) the more succesful this strategy could be. Maybe listen to the demos and pieces by Eli Benacot again?

I always feel that these flutes and faux-wind-instruments-yet-at-the-same-time-extremely-synthy tones would really work well in late 1980s fusion jazzrock type arrangements. But of course Hans Zimmer’s live woodwindplayer uses it too…

Orchestral work… I wouldn’t count on that… if you want to go modelled in that realm I think Audio Modeling may be a better attack vector ;)

Last edited:

Tralen

I bet it could, although Respiro doesn’t pretend to NOT be a synth if you know what I mean. So it largely depends on the type of “realism” you’re after and I guess the arrangement you needed those ethnic flutes for? The more “ethnic” you’d want your flute to sound (maybe “alien” is a better adjective in this context?) the more succesful this strategy could be. Maybe listen to the demos and pieces by Eli Benacot again?

I always feel that these flutes and faux-wind-instruments-yet-at-the-same-time-extremely-synthy tones would really work well in late 1980s fusion jazzrock type arrangements. But of course Hans Zimmer’s live woodwindplayer uses it too…

Orchestral work… I wouldn’t count on that… if you want to go modelled in that realm I think Audio Modeling may be a better attack vector ;)
You got it right, I was really looking at that faux-ethnic and also that 80s style. Still, I think I will be better served with Audio Modelling for now, and the money is short.

Is there anything Sax-like in there? (sorry, I had to ask)

OP
doctoremmet

doctoremmet

Is there anything Sax-like in there? (sorry, I had to ask)
Haha that question makes a lot of sense. Answer: yes there are sax-like sounds in there. Synthy yet saxy. But good! Respiro is a unique instrument.

Tralen

Haha that question makes a lot of sense. Answer: yes there are sax-like sounds in there. Synthy yet saxy. But good! Respiro is a unique instrument.
I'm certain I will be very happy with Respiro, specially playing on the EWI, but I don't know if there will be anything left of me after I get SWAM flutes and saxes ($500!!!).

Tusker

I wonder if there are double reed models (duduk, cor anglais) that could do the slightly exotic yet lyrical phrases that you might hear on a soundtrack or PG song?

Top Bottom