What's new

IMOXPLUS Respiro. Fascinating EWI / physical modeling wind instrument

Paulnnn

This was just released on YouTube. Respiro apparently now also does wavetables. Have a look:

hello, new member here.... I have been using respiro for the last few months, and can happily say that it is a wonderful tool for any midi wind controller players out there. I procrastinated for a while before buying this, as I wasn't sure I needed more sounds, but once I bought it, the ease of expressiveness I discovered is fantastic. Because it isn't sample driven, all expression comes from playing technique, so it feels like playing an instrument. For realistic acoustic sounds, the swam instruments are great, but with respiro you can shape the presets in so many ways, that the possibilities seem endless. Of course, this leads down the rabbit hole of how much time do you put into sound design over writing...!!!!!
I have not used it with a breath controller and keyboard, as at heart I am a wind player who has been waiting for the midi stuff to get to this level of control, so cannot comment on how it reacts in this mode, but modelling technology has arrived.
The other thing I would like to say, is that Rudy upgrades the software quite regularly, and there are no issues with the installs, keeps all settings etc, on macs. (I think he is a very dedicated engineer...)
Also to close, he is working on a mouthpiece for wind controllers, hopefully coming soon.
Cannot recommend respiro highly enough. (p.s. am using yamaha wx5)

OP
doctoremmet

doctoremmet

The release of Reason Studio’s Friktion has rekindled my fascination / love for physical modelling as a means of sound synthesis. Reacquainted myself with the AAS instruments (Chromaphone, String Studio and Strum) which are also very capable of creating terrific slightly natural sounding “almost real acoustic yet totally synthetic” patches - which is my favourite result from these types of synths ;)

Respiro and Friktion are two instruments I will definitely get at some point. I do use the TEC2 from time to time and have also just gotten my hands on a Roli Blocks MPE studio kit. I have never played a real wind instrument but have been tempted by the EWI4000 (its synth engine is particularly nice), however the learning curve involved is too big for me right now. That mouth piece Rudy is prototyping looks extremely promising. He has some very musical fans in his “beta test” circle of friends / user base, it seems. Some of the stuff they are able to get out of Respiro sounds very inspiring. It appears the synth engine excels mostly at producing “world music” type of wind sounds?

Hadrondrift

It appears the synth engine excels mostly at producing “world music” type of wind sounds?
Yes, would agree. The strength of Respiro is not the detailed reproduction of existing instruments, nor is that intended, I think. The strength is the creation of unusual, exotic, unheard sounds that are inspiring and can be played excellently with a breath controller. Overall, many of these sounds I would categorize as ethno-like.

For the lifelike simulation of existing wind instruments, better results can imho be achieved with the SWAM instruments from Audio Modeling, for example.

I myself use the AKAI EWI USB every now and then and have to say, it takes a bit of practice to get good results here - and I say this as someone who has played classical clarinet for years... Especially the octave changes performed with the left thumb, the overblowing so to speak, are tricky. If you don't want to practice fingerings on the EWI instrument quite a lot and although it could be worth it in the end, there is the potential for frustration. You might be better off with the TEC2, where you can simply continue to use the keyboard.

Last edited:

Michel Simons

I myself use the AKAI EWI USB every now and then and have to say, it takes a bit of practice to get good results here - and I say this as someone who has played classical clarinet for years... Especially the octave changes performed with the left thumb, the overblowing so to speak, are tricky. If you don't want to practice fingerings on the EWI instrument quite a lot and although it could be worth it in the end, there is the potential for frustration. You might be better off with the TEC2, where you can simply continue to use the keyboard.

I bought that one as well ages ago, because you could also use trumpet fingering (former trumpet player here), but hell, it was a lot tougher than expected/hoped. (Might also say a lot about me.)

gamma-ut

There was an intro price just after release that was only about €60-70. I think I bought it in January 2020 just before it went up to €160 from around €90-odd. I did see a voucher code got sent out by email spring last year for about 25%. This has just reminded me that I didn't sign up for the newsletter - as far as I can tell, you need an account to get on it.

OP
doctoremmet

doctoremmet

Happy to report I just purchased this physical modeling based Wind Synthesizer. I had an interesting little chat with Rudy, the developer of Respiro about how to make the most of saxophone samples. Here’s his take:

C2F7C346-B79B-4888-8D41-45CA24EC9E9B.jpeg

I had asked him if he planned any summer sales. Full disclosure: I have happily paid full price for Respiro, so I can eventually freely speak my mind about what my experiences are with it (so no “win win”) ;)

gamma-ut

It's a great piece of software: it has come closest to the playing experience of the old Yamaha VL instruments in the plugin world, I've found – though it has a different approach for programming sounds. Though as Rudy has done a lot of work on VL patch editors, that's perhaps not a surprise.

OP
doctoremmet

doctoremmet

I resisted my urge to buy an EWI and instead purchased a clarinet last year. So I’ll stick to my TEControl 2 for now. I remember from my research that the 4000 is the “coolest” one because it has a native synth engine that is not a rompler and actually sounds good.

Respiro has been on my radar ever since it was first released. It really speaks to me, but the musician doing those demos has a LOT to do with that as well.

OP
doctoremmet

doctoremmet

About the 4000: exactly what I also heard.
Yup, demos always make it look sooooo easy to get that great sound. Then you try yourself and surprise! Not the same thing... ;)
You mean demos like that Glass Octopus one I heard the other day? It made me look for another day job.

OP
doctoremmet

doctoremmet

Is there a demo version available somewhere?
Maybe if you contact Rudy Verpaele he can hook you up with a demo. There’s no demo readily available I don’t think.

A lot of the tech and modeling going on in Respiro’s engine is developed by Luigi Felici of NUsofting, whose PM synth Modelonia is pretty cool as well.

A63E8C07-E885-4C40-BD37-AF98909E4816.jpeg

But I digress…

OP
doctoremmet

doctoremmet

Closest thing to a demo I could find, and IOS only it appears, is an iPhone Respiro Player (offering 6 patches). Kind of cool!

It does require a Bluetooth midi controller I suppose.

Manual:

Last edited:

Tralen

I resisted my urge to buy an EWI and instead purchased a clarinet last year. So I’ll stick to my TEControl 2 for now. I remember from my research that the 4000 is the “coolest” one because it has a native synth engine that is not a rompler and actually sounds good.

Respiro has been on my radar ever since it was first released. It really speaks to me, but the musician doing those demos has a LOT to do with that as well.

I think the quality of the internal rompler has improved a lot from the 5000 to the Solo (which I play now). The sound of the 4000 was indeed really great.

The Solo has another major advantage over the previous versions in that it has a loudspeaker, so you don't need to be plugged to anything, plus a 12h battery charge which doubles that from the 5000.

It has been a wonderful friend during the pandemic. Many times, in desolation, I just sat under a tree and played.

Rudy Verpaele

Dear friends, I’m the developer of Respiro. Hereby some extra info.

It is my personal view that the majority of todays existing sound-engines are not expressive and organic enough. Most synths seem to play for me instead of me playing a “real instrument”, I can not connect with the sound and missing the interaction.

So, I decided to build a Physical Modeling synth (Respiro) that behaves more like a real wind-instrument while offering its own unique sonic palette. It reproduces the behaviour of a reed, the resonance of the instrument body, opening and closing keyholes, vortex noise etc… Additionally I added wavetable modules that merge their signal into the PM synth. This opens new possibilities.
Respiro has a very dynamic response. Hereby two examples of what it possible..

Respiro is a digital wind instrument that needs your breath pressure input. It detects your tonguing (fast breath attack), slow or fast fingering (note transition) etc.

There are hundreds of hidden parameters. Designing and tuning (each note) of a Physical Model instrument is time consuming and requires a large learning curve. This is why I implemented on top of the complex synth an easy user interface that removes all complexity.

Respiro is a mono synth that fits very well as solo instrument or as breathing drone track. It is also a great tool when layering sounds. example, you use a traditional sampled instrument and layer on top of this a complementary Respiro instrument.

Sorry, I do not offer demo versions but I do offer refund if not happy.
NFR versions are available for those who propose a win-win setup to me.

let me know if you want tips and tricks...
Rudy

Top Bottom