What's new

Images showing up in preview but not post

Peter Schwartz

Subject says it all. If you DO see a picture below, try refreshing the page and it will likely break the image.

test.png

That issue is not with this forum, but rather, with your web server where you are hosting the image file. It appears to be blocking referrals from outside the website. You probably have a security setting of some kind in place.

The error message returned by your web server is:

Error 403 - Forbidden
You don't have permission to access the requested resource. Please contact the web site owner for further assistance.

Thanks for your reply mdu. Thing is, when I access that URL directly in a browser it shows up just fine. I'll bet if you right-click on the broken image above and choose "view in new tab" that it'll show up. I wonder if my ISP is blocking access just from this particular forum, because I don't have this problem on any other forum that allows posting of remotely-hosted images.

Thanks again mdu, and if I do have something like that working for me I'm not aware of it. OK, I really appreciate your replies. Time to do some investigating!

Cheers,
Peter

Hi CF, thanks for your reply. I just clicked the image icon... Screen shot 2015-08-27 at 12.03.53 AM 1.png

...and entered the URL in this field...
Screen shot 2015-08-27 at 12.03.58 AM.png

I've since revised my post using the Upload a File option and that worked fine. But originally I didn't see that option so I used the one in the HTML editor.

Cheers,

Peter

I just now edited my first post in this thread and clicked Preview (this from a different computer) and see the same behavior as on my main studio computer. What I see with when previewing the post is shown here...

Screen shot 2015-08-27 at 12.13.50 AM.png
Also... when composing my original post (in the Commercial section), after linking to the image and it showing up fine in Preview, I added a link to the picture itself. The result wasn't pretty LOL! What you see below is a screenshot after I added a link to the picture in this post: Screen shot 2015-08-27 at 12.13.51 AM.png

Peter,

If you go to the page I gave you the URL for before: https://altlab.com/htaccess_tutorial.html

Near the bottom there is a link "How do I test image hotlinking?", which has a live test to see if your web server is configured to block hotlinking.

I entered the URL for your dog photo into their live test. Their page is unable to load your dog picture as well because your web server is blocking it. That is certainly the issue and is not related to anything on this forum.

Hi CF, thanks for your reply. I just clicked the image icon... Screen shot 2015-08-27 at 12.03.53 AM 1.png
...and entered the URL in this field...
Screen shot 2015-08-27 at 12.03.58 AM.png
I've since revised my post using the Upload a File option and that worked fine. But originally I didn't see that option so I used the one in the HTML editor.
Cheers,
Peter

I see, OK, so in order to avoid future issues simply upload the image. As Michael points to, some hosting do disable hotlinking to avoid having unnecessary stress on their servers. Imagine you're not their client anymore - what then? All the links to images you have spread online would be broken, and the image would never show but for an empty/broken placeholder.

Hope this helps, Peter... :)

Hi CF and Michael, thanks for your replies. Turns out there was a blocker on my site. Did I turn it on? Noooooooo. In any event, is it not strange that an hotlink-prohibited image will appear in a post preview but not the post itself?

Regards, Peter

Hotlink blocking on your website would not block access to the image from the local computer, when it is accessed directly by typing in its URL, or linking to it from another page on the website. This is why you can access the image file if you type the URL into your browser manually, but not when you attempt to hotlink it via another webpage on the internet.

Most likely, the post preview is actually showing you the post in temporary storage on your local computer instead of via the website (even though it makes it LOOK like you are editing it on the website, this is not necessarily the case). The more advanced editors very likely require storing the data locally, which would cause your image to appear correctly in the preview/edit phase but not appear properly once submitted to the live site. The reason is, in the preview/edit phase, your image is being embedded into HTML data stored on your local computer and so this image access is not considered hotlinking. Once submitted to the website however, and you are actually looking at the post, it is considered hotlinked, and is blocked by the hotlink blocking on your site.

Last edited:
Top Bottom