I'm Switching from Mac to PC, I can't do it without you! Please Help!

Jshippjr

Hello my fellow composers.

The time has come and I have decided to give my studio computer a full upgrade. Mac has treated me well for the past 5 years but their prices has gone outside of my budget and I've decided to take the leap into a PC build. (Very scared about potential compatibility issues)

Forgive the long list, but I would like to paint my situation out in detail to try to mitigate as many issues as possible.

My current setup

Hardware

-Macbook Pro (mid 2012), 2.6Ghz i7, 16GB ram
-Thunderbolt Display - (Willing to sell and upgrade if thunderbolt 1 options are not available on new pc build)
-Lacie little big disk thunderbolt 1 external SSD (1TB) (Willing to sell and upgrade if thunderbolt 1 options are not available on new pc build)
-Pro tools HD Native thunderbolt card. (Willing to sell and upgrade if thunderbolt 1 options are not available on new pc build)
-Pro tolls HD OMNI audio interface (Willing to sell and upgrade to a more PC friendly Audio interface)
-NI Maschine MK1 (Willing to sell and upgrade)
-Euphonix artist mix (x2)(Willing to sell and upgrade)

Software
-Pro tools HD 12.5 (I plan on upgrading to latest version with the new PC)
-EW Hollywood Orchestra, symphonic orchestra
-Spitfire solo and chamber strings
-OT M ark 1 and 2
-cinesamples brass and wood sections
-NI komplete 8
-Eduardo Tarilonte ERA II
-8DIO libraries

The purpose of this build would be to do what we do. Compose, edit and mix music to video. Ideally, I would like to have a 2 monitor setup with the video I'm composing to on a 3rd monitor/TV. Secondary purpose would be to play world of warcraft at max settings. :)

My budget for this build is $2500. I'm open to stretching this budget if its necessary.

Here are my preferences:

Cpu - Something in the i7-i9 range 8-10 cores.
Motherboard - I don't know enough to make an educated decision (possibly something to house my thunderbolt 1 equipment?)
Memory - 64-128G for fast playback of my Large sample libraries / Large composing template with 100s of tracks preloaded with samples.
GPU - I would need something that can handle low latency video playback as I'm writing music, Connectivity for 3-4 Monitors, and handle high graphics on games.
Hard drive - 2-4TB of SSD
Case - I don't know enough to make an educated decision :(
Power supply - I don't know enough to make an educated decision :(

The above is where I'm at so far. Would love to hear your thoughts and recommendations.

Thank you in advance

Damarus

You'll get some good replies that will go into more detail here, but just from a quick look..

The NV 2080S is overkill. At 1440p, I believe you can max that game out with a GTX1070 even. so something like a 2060S might allow you to allocate more power elsewhere.

Pictus

For PSU Corsair RMx (2018), up to +-250W the fan is off and
up to +-600W, the RPM/noise is very low.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm850x-v2-psu,5568-5.html

ookami

The time has come and I have decided to give my studio computer a full upgrade. Mac has treated me well for the past 5 years but their prices has gone outside of my budget and I've decided to take the leap into a PC build. (Very scared about potential compatibility issues)

Forgive the long list, but I would like to paint my situation out in detail to try to mitigate as many issues as possible.

My current setup

Hardware

-Thunderbolt Display - (Willing to sell and upgrade if thunderbolt 1 options are not available on new pc build)
-Lacie little big disk thunderbolt 1 external SSD (1TB) (Willing to sell and upgrade if thunderbolt 1 options are not available on new pc build)
-Pro tools HD Native thunderbolt card. (Willing to sell and upgrade if thunderbolt 1 options are not available on new pc build)
-Pro tolls HD OMNI audio interface (Willing to sell and upgrade to a more PC friendly Audio interface)

Software
-OT M ark 1 and 2
-NI komplete 8
-8DIO libraries

The purpose of this build would be to do what we do. Compose, edit and mix music to video. Ideally, I would like to have a 2 monitor setup with the video I'm composing to on a 3rd monitor/TV. Secondary purpose would be to play world of warcraft at max settings. :)

My budget for this build is $2500. I'm open to stretching this budget if its necessary.

Here are my preferences:

Motherboard - I don't know enough to make an educated decision (possibly something to house my thunderbolt 1 equipment?)
Memory - 64-128G for fast playback of my Large sample libraries / Large composing template with 100s of tracks preloaded with samples.
GPU - I would need something that can handle low latency video playback as I'm writing music, Connectivity for 3-4 Monitors, and handle high graphics on games.

The above is where I'm at so far. Would love to hear your thoughts and recommendations.

Thank you in advance
We went with the Ryzen R3950X CPU which runs 16 Cores, at fairly high Clock Speeds, we are Super happy with the Performance so far, maybe You could also look into this direction, too. 😅

Solarsentinel

I suggest an seasonic focus + 650w for rhe psu over the corsair. (O db mode are also present) and a new fractal design R7 or the R6 for the quiet case.

Prockamanisc

I just wanna say: stay Mac. Bite the bullet, save an extra few months, and get the Mac Pro. Just upgrade the hard drive to 1TB and you can spend $6400 on it. If you sign up for Business Pricing, it's $6016. Upgrade RAM and such over time. You'll just be happier, and that means a lot. It's a difference of $3430, which over 5 years, means $1.88/day. Is it worth $1.88/day to be happy in your workspace? Be an Apple sheep. Stay happy and warm.

MartinH.

I just wanna say: stay Mac. Bite the bullet, save an extra few months, and get the Mac Pro. Just upgrade the hard drive to 1TB and you can spend $6400 on it. If you sign up for Business Pricing, it's $6016. Upgrade RAM and such over time. You'll just be happier, and that means a lot. It's a difference of $3430, which over 5 years, means $1.88/day. Is it worth $1.88/day to be happy in your workspace? Be an Apple sheep. Stay happy and warm.
Can't tell if that's sarcasm or not. :emoji_thinking:

I usually buy a BeQuiet Dark Power Pro. Edit: but if you can get one that leaves the fan off until its needed, that could be a good investment. I'm not sure if the current BeQuiet PSUs offer that feature. I haven't looked in a long while.

All gaming GPUs are "fast" enough to not cause latency on video playback. But there were some threads about audio latency caused by GPU drivers, and I'm not sure if/how the situation on what's better - amd or nvidia - has changed. Might be worth doing some research.
I always buy nvidia because I need CUDA and I don't care that much about audio latency.

For display latency, you need to look most carefully at your screen. Those can have "input lag" in the range of 2 to 3 frames @ 60hz, that is between ~ 30 and 50 ms. The ms numbers they advertise on the box and spec sheets of screens usually are the "response time" for switching a pixel from grey to grey for example, that's something else. You need to look at professional monitor reviews to learn about the real input lag compared to a CRT screen.

Symfoniq

Can't tell if that's sarcasm or not. :emoji_thinking:
It shouldn’t be. I left the Mac for several years while Apple sold crippled hardware. Windows 10 is certainly capable enough, but now that the Mac Pro 7,1 is released, I’m back on macOS and glad to be home.

nolotrippen

It's not sarcasm, but I tried to convey the message of "yes, I know it's absurd, yes, I'm an Apple sheep." But I meant everything I said. If you like Mac, then stay on Mac. I got a slave a few years ago because the prices were so bad with the new Trashcan Mac, and I should have just gotten the Trashcan. I hate Windows.
I have to agree. Play on Steam and everyone else has a PC and usually a self-built machine and the whining never ends (nor the crashing). I tell them I'm playing L4d2 on a Mac and they all laugh. Not me.

MartinH.

It's not sarcasm, but I tried to convey the message of "yes, I know it's absurd, yes, I'm an Apple sheep." But I meant everything I said. If you like Mac, then stay on Mac. I got a slave a few years ago because the prices were so bad with the new Trashcan Mac, and I should have just gotten the Trashcan. I hate Windows.
Oh, ok. Well if it makes you happy I guess it is worth it. For me personally nothing made me appreciate windows more than trying to switch to osx once. The "apple way" just isn't for me.

iggyigoe

For PSU Corsair RMx (2018), up to +-250W the fan is off and
up to +-600W, the RPM/noise is very low.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm850x-v2-psu,5568-5.html

All I can say is listen to this guy.. He helped me with my PC build and I've never looked back!

ynwtf

I recently built my PC using the Silverstone Grandia GD08 case. It's pricey compared to a lot of options, but it's solid, attractive, spacious, and is capable of rack-mounting with the purchase of the add-on ears. The case has up to three 120mm fan mounts on the bottom, under the drive cage (2 spaces, if you use the optional cable box which takes up the third fan mount). There are two 120mm mounts on the side, and two 80mm mounts on the back for exhaust. Two USB 3 ports are up front for quick access. If you don't rack it, it can sit horizontally with four cylindrical feet to lift it roughly half an inch for air intake if you'd rather leave it on a desk or shelf. It looks sharp and doesn't scream, "OMGERSH LOOK AT ME WITH MY SPINNY WHEEL GLOWY STUFFS!" But that last bit is totally subjective, of course.

dzilizzi

This. I'm a PC. But this makes a lot of sense. You may want to go the Hackintosh route if you can't afford a full Mac Pro. There are differences in how things work between the two and if you've never used a PC you will be frustrated (It goes the opposite way as well. I tend to find Macs annoying at times) So you will use a lot of time learning the system. I want to say some of the PT shortcuts are different. I tend to have problems with a few when I switch between the systems, but that could just be me.

However, if you have used a PC and are comfortable with it. I would switch, as you do get much more bang for your buck. You will need to reformat all your library drives and reload everything back onto them. Unfortunately, the file formats are not compatible. This is something that can take some time also.

ghobii

I made this switch last week. Had been on Mac for the last 12 years, though I'd switched between Mac and PC before that. I ended up with the AMD Ryzen 3900, on an ASUS 570 board, a nVidia 2060S GPU, and a Fractal Define 5 Case. So far I'm extremely happy. Very fast system, and very quiet considering it's sitting on the desk besides me with the sides still off as I'm still adding hard drives.

At first Windows seemed incredibly clunky, as I had a lot of muscle-memory type ways of moving around the mac. But one-by one I've found the Windows equivalent, or something similar and it's getting more comfortable. I also haven't noticed any big latency issues with the nVidia card yet.

If you have a bunch of files on Mac formatted hard drives like I did, there's a program called HFS+ by Paragon software that can read Mac drives. They have a 7 day free demo, which is enough time to transfer everything, or it's only $29 to keep.

Pictus

For lower audio latency AMD GPUs are better, the drives are less bloated
and it is easy to disable unnecessary services(the bloat).
Nvidia GPUs are better for video, but got bloated drivers...
The tweaks fix things, a must for NVIDIA users

ookami

For lower audio latency AMD GPUs are better, the drives are less bloated
and it is easy to disable unnecessary services(the bloat).
Nvidia GPUs are better for video, but got bloated drivers...
The tweaks fix things, a must for NVIDIA users
The Guys from Cubase recomended Nvidia for optimal Performance in Cubase, so we went this Road and had no issues yet 😊

my current setup:

Intel 9700k oc'ed to 4,6ghz
Gigabyte Aorus I Z390 Mini Itx
Corsair Vengeance 2x16gb 3000mhz
Samsung 970 PRO
Corsair SF450 small form factor PSU
Corsair H90 Watercooler

I'm getting more NVME drives atm...

I have absolutely no reasons to upgrade atm but I was enticed by some Ryzen offerings. Intel advantage over AMD is built in GPU which can deliver enough for DAWs. (set higher memory for IGPU @ BIOS). Had a Sapphire 570 GPU but I realized it was making the NVME drivers run hotter, plus I needed the PCI-E slot for one more. With the pci-e slot the Gigabyte board will give you 3 m.2 slots...

Can't you drop the gaming? If you only use desktop apps the onboard GPU will be enough. I strongly recommend going mini ITX (with good cooling) and going Gigabyte for MOBO...

gsilbers

Part of Pulsesetter-Sounds.com

My current setup

Hardware

Software
-OT M ark 1 and 2
-NI komplete 8
-8DIO libraries

Here are my preferences:

Thank you in advance

first of .... and This goes for everyone who has already posted here...

That’s. 2012 MacBook Pro you coming from !!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!
more exclamation for dramatic effect
!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!

i can barely load anything on that same one I don’t use anymore cuz how slow it is.

I have a 2009 macpro and it still blows it out the wazooo

in 2020 whatever you get will work way way way way better.
even the cheapest video card will be great.

As for windows...

If you are in Mac, why not get a 2013
Mac Pro trash can ...
Or even better...
The new Mac mini.
You can get it for about that price and everything just works

You can see in the duc for those using large pro tools sessions with the Mac mini.

Here is a macpro for that budget

Last edited:

Wunderhorn

If I was getting a PC today I would look into Deltatronic. They custom build whatever you want but the special thing is that their workstations are based on passive cooling only. In other words it is a complete silent PC, and no deterioration of your components by means of dust or moving parts. Silent equioment is heaven for musicians. Even Apple is way behind this innovation.