I'm out - Berlin International Film Scoring Competition 2020

Zedcars

Klaatu barada nikto
I'm out!
Here is my score for the Berlin International Film Scoring Competition 2020.

This was exceptionally good. I haven’t really heard the other entrants, but if you lost then the standard must be very high indeed. Sounded like it totally gelled and everything sounded just right. I think you should be very proud of the music you created here.

I like music

Superb. Really nicely done! Yeah, curious to hear what the winner(s) will sound like if this didn't get as far...

Tempted to ask 'which libraries did you use' but the question should really be 'how much goddamn studying did you do?'

Beluga

Arctic and sub-Arctic cetacean
I heard a few really nice entries so far, including yours. I wonder how the winners sound like and what made them stand apart.

/warning: rant - cynism

Anyway, I'm critical about these competitions. What exactly are they offering for this investment? 500 shabby dollars or euros? With an entry fee of 10% of that sum. That's something like 110$ per minute if you get the first place? That is really ridiculous. And of course the sound licenses they didn't pay for.

But I know I know.. it was a fun experience etc. etc. I should start a competition is to generate some income, seems like a better way than to actually make music.

Zedcars

Klaatu barada nikto
I heard a few really nice entries so far, including yours. I wonder how the winners sound like and what made them stand apart.

/warning: rant - cynism

Anyway, I'm critical about these competitions. What exactly are they offering for this investment? 500 shabby dollars or euros? With an entry fee of 10% of that sum. That's something like 110$ per minute if you get the first place? That is really ridiculous. And of course the sound licenses they didn't pay for.

But I know I know.. it was a fun experience etc. etc. I should start a competition is to generate some income, seems like a better way than to actually make music.
I'd have thought it is more to do with exposure and increasing your reputation than the actual monetary value. That would then lead to more work with a decent income. I don't suppose anyone enters this solely for the financial reward.

Beluga

I'd have thought it is more to do with exposure and increasing your reputation than the actual monetary value. That would then lead to more work with a decent income. I don't suppose anyone enters this solely for the financial reward.
And does it happen? Even to the winner?

I like music

Great, looking forward to hearing their names. :)
Hee hee. I knew that was coming. I know for a fact that the chap would not want me to name him. But the story essentially goes that he won such a competition, and then a number of library devs reached out to him, to write demos for them. You have almost certainly heard a few demos from him. He scored some AAA games, and now gets regular work from relationships he developed.

Without that initial influx of interest (and contacts) he formed through winning the competition all the way back in 2005 it would have been a far mightier climb for him.

That said, his career is where it is because of his talent and hard work (he writes music every single waking moment of his day) but that push at that point in his teenage days, made a huge difference.

Beluga

Hee hee. I knew that was coming. I know for a fact that the chap would not want me to name him. But the story essentially goes that he won such a competition, and then a number of library devs reached out to him, to write demos for them. You have almost certainly heard a few demos from him. He scored some AAA games, and now gets regular work from relationships he developed.

Without that initial influx of interest (and contacts) he formed through winning the competition all the way back in 2005 it would have been a far mightier climb for him.

That said, his career is where it is because of his talent and hard work (he writes music every single waking moment of his day) but that push at that point in his teenage days, made a huge difference.
Yeah, OK, that is one guy. I researched a bit the earlier winners of this contest, don't have the feeling it jump-started their careers. And that's the guys winning.

The real winners are the organizers of the contest.

I mean: organize a contest, take no entry fee, no winning price except the networking and OK, I see the point of it. This kind of thing, not so much.

I like music

Yeah, OK, that is one guy. I researched a bit the earlier winners of this contest, don't have the feeling it jump-started their careers. And that's the guys winning.

The real winners are the organizers of the contest.

I mean: organize a contest, take no entry fee, no winning price except the networking and OK, I see the point of it. This kind of thing, not so much.
I understand. Also, this competition was in 2005. I imagine that the market wasn't as saturated then, as it is right now, and I can be absolutely sure that the organiser of the library did very well (you had to do the mockup using the library, so they will have made quite a few sales). Still, it resulted in a few live performances of the winners, and worked out for one or two guys.

That's just one anecdote. I don't have any other examples. Might be worth someone doing some research to see what the benefit to all parties is on a wider level.

PS just to come back to the topic here. Again, excellent score, and music I could listen to even without the scene.

LowweeK

Monkeying with libraries
Funny, I created a thread some days ago about this (To Contest or Not to contest?)

My main gripe against most of the score contests is that the jury doesn’t provide you with any feedback.
For the entry fees we pay, it is a minimum, no?

With probably a better benefit for my writing than comparing my entry to the others...