1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm getting choppy pitch automation with ElastiquePitchV2 in Logic

Discussion in 'Mixing, Post-Production, and Effects' started by ka00, Apr 22, 2018.

1. ka00

ka00 Senior Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    When I draw a smooth automation curve (either straight line or curve) in Logic for this pitchbending plugin's "pitch" value, the resulting pitch changes are stepped, not gradual.

While the plugin is capable of smooth manual pitch transitions by using its interface, it appears that using an automation curve results in audible steps or little jumps from one pitch value to another.

I've attached a screencap to show what I mean.

Is there some technique or setting I'm missing?

Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  2. OP
    OP
    ka00

ka00 Senior Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    I wonder if this could have to do with any midi parameter having only having 128 steps of animation/automation possible? How does one get around this kind of issue?

PS: I contacted the developer zplane about this, but if you can believe it, their support is very strict about what email service you send support requests from. I sent it from a yahoo email address and they rejected it. I tried contacting via facebook and the automated response was "please contact us from our site" which I already tried. First time I ever tried to email a developer and was unable.

3. studiostuff

studiostuff Senior Member

Dec 15, 2015
    In the MIDI protocol, the pitch bend message has TWO data fields to determine pitch bend.

So instead of 128 data values possible (if there are two data values in other MIDI messages, they are usually-one to name the NOTE, and the other to name the VALUE of the MIDI message), pitch bend is determined by two data values, or 128 steps TIMES 128 steps, or 16,384 possible values for pitch bend.

These values occur either side of the center detent on a pitch mod controller. (I believe from 0-8,191 represent the amount of possible pitch bend DOWN. The value of 8,192 is ZERO pitch bend. And from 8,193-16,384 are the values of possible pitch bend UP.

16,384 steps is a pretty smooth amount of change.

4. Saxer

Saxer Senior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Frankfurt/Germany
    Is it Logics automation or midi CC data?

5. studiostuff

Dec 15, 2015
    Sorry, after re-reading the OP, I don't know that plug-in. I just assumed you were talking about MIDI pitch bend and not the plug-in you mention.

ka00 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    ka00

ka00 Senior Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    I think it's automation of midi CC data, as I can only adjust it per region and not for the track. But maybe I'm not understanding it correctly. I'm automating the "Pitch" parameter of the ElastiquePitch v2 plugin applied to a midi instrument.

What I'm noticing is that while I manually adjust the pitch parameter on the plugin during playback, the pitch change is smooth. When I adjust the pitch parameter of the plugin using automation, it happens in steps.

Here's a new video which shows exactly what's going on:

In summary:
    Manual change of plugin's pitch parameter = smooth
    Automated change of plugin's pitch parameter = choppy

When the animation goes from a parameter value of 0.50 to 0.46, it seems to be doing it in discrete steps -- as if 0.50, 0.49, 0.48, 0.47, 0.46 are the only values Logic is sending the plugin, but not all the values between those values that would need to be sent in order for the change to be smooth.

7. studiostuff

Dec 15, 2015
  8. OP
    OP
    ka00

ka00 Senior Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks for the thought, but alas, if this were the case here, the curve segments would have to appear either stair-stepped and they don't. I managed to get through to the zplane support and they said they are looking into the issue.