What's new

Ilok cloud?

By the way, phoenixverb and 7th heaven. What's your verdict ?
They're coming out equal so far for me. Phoenix is a touch cloudier in a good way, probably due to the designer's past work at Lexicon. It's much more real and clear than most lexi style verbs but i hear just a touch of lexi grain in it. 7th has a very clear sound which to me is the sound i hear with irs, no matter having the technology to switch between them on the fly to simulate movement. It still has that artificial ir sound to me but not in a totally bad way. In the mix, phoenix sounds a little more realistic but 7th clears the mud. I did notice, raising the lpf on phoenix gets me pretty close to 7th territory so maybe i'm just hearing the filter when i'm thinking it's cloudier. Also, 7th uses more cpu than phoenix.

Updated 1\11: after spending some time with it, I've got to say I love 7th Heaven. I'm going to spring for Pro next time they have a decent sale. It really sounds good in the mix. I'll end my thread derail now

Last edited:
i've tried downloaded sevent heaven and wanted to tried out the 14 days demo license. However, ilok cloud requires at least ilok 2 to work. I thought with cloud, we don't even need to bother with the requirement of physical dongle for activation of license, even demo licenses? This is so turning me off.

Actually it does work with ilok cloud. You have to go into ilok license manager under File, there is an options for Open Cloud Session. Once you open the session, you can activate the license to it. I definitely disagree with the developer's choice of copy protection, but in my humble opinion, it impressed me enough that I actually felt ok with forking out the $29 for an ilok 3. Actually I liked it enough that I sold the standard version and went ahead and bought the Pro version which blew me away even more

I'm all for a cloud option. I don't think they will make it the only option because of how many people still for some reason want to keep their studios completely offline, but it's a good one to have. It's very much like Steam in that the license stays on their servers so there is no "losing" a license due to dongle or HDD failure. If there is ever an issue, it would be server side and on them to get it fixed.

The biggest issue I'd see with this is something that happens with some other remote licensing programs for people who travel a lot which is they connect from different IP addresses a lot and may get flagged for it. The simple solution to that is to use a dedicated proxy server that you can connect to and it always connects from the same server to everywhere else which would prevent a lot of IP changing on their end. It takes a bit to setup but then so do computers that are optimized for audio work. There are sometimes required steps we have to take in order to make our businesses more streamlined.

For people who still have tinfoil hats on and thinking connecting to the internet will get you a virus... I guess do some homework grandpa and learn how these newfangled computer things work. :P

(The last line was kind of a joke, let's see how many people get offended. ;) )

I'm all for a cloud option. I don't think they will make it the only option because of how many people still for some reason want to keep their studios completely offline, but it's a good one to have. It's very much like Steam in that the license stays on their servers so there is no "losing" a license due to dongle or HDD failure. If there is ever an issue, it would be server side and on them to get it fixed.

The biggest issue I'd see with this is something that happens with some other remote licensing programs for people who travel a lot which is they connect from different IP addresses a lot and may get flagged for it. The simple solution to that is to use a dedicated proxy server that you can connect to and it always connects from the same server to everywhere else which would prevent a lot of IP changing on their end. It takes a bit to setup but then so do computers that are optimized for audio work. There are sometimes required steps we have to take in order to make our businesses more streamlined.

For people who still have tinfoil hats on and thinking connecting to the internet will get you a virus... I guess do some homework grandpa and learn how these newfangled computer things work. :P

(The last line was kind of a joke, let's see how many people get offended. ;) )

i'm such "grandpa" but i dont get offended. ahhha. Another reason i dont wanna have keep my internet connected is to prevent the stupid windows update which can't seems to be able to be disabled for Windows 10. I've found a few times after windows updates here and there, there'll be a bit issues here and there. performance somehow affected which i dont know why.

There are ways to turn it off but it does take some modification to the registry to do it and I don't recommend doing so unless you're comfortable doing that. That said, you can defer major content updates while still getting security updates and Windows now gives you better warnings when you're getting said updates as well which is nice.

Top Bottom