What's new

IK Multimedia Introduces MODO DRUM - Modeled Drums

Apparently it’s €199 for modo bass cross grade and there might also be a €50 off promo code for some folks bringing it down to €149

Apparently it’s €199 for modo bass cross grade and there might also be a €50 off promo code for some folks bringing it down to €149
Yep, that’s how to showed up in my cart. Can’t use JamPoints with the extra €50 off though but that only amounts to €9 more.

€250 off at introductory pretty much makes it a must buy. Sneaky of them to make such a deal.

Well, BFD is very long in the tooth now (as well as having probably the worst GUI of any VSTi I’ve ever used), Slate SSD5 was hardly ground breaking and Toontrack are too busy putting their MIDI packs on sale instead of offering any kind of deal on SD3. Add into that anyone who has MODO Bass knows how well IK have nailed their modelling & I’d say it’s an excellent marketing move rather than sneaky!

Well, BFD is very long in the tooth now (as well as having probably the worst GUI of any VSTi I’ve ever used), Slate SSD5 was hardly ground breaking and Toontrack are too busy putting their MIDI packs on sale instead of offering any kind of deal on SD3. Add into that anyone who has MODO Bass knows how well IK have nailed their modelling & I’d say it’s an excellent marketing move rather than sneaky!

Totally agree. They eliminated the need to buy multiple kits, since you can make your own. Modo bass has been so great because I can make the bass I need for the song.

exciting...
but from what I see and hear,I guess the cymbals are not modeled,I think they are sampled!
Not all that surprising - cymbals are notoriously tough to model and even the Roland TR-909 had sampled cymbals. They're also annoying to sample, because of how long they ring. I hate cymbals!

How's the hi-hat openness handled, though? I'm real curious about that, if it's just regular partly-open samples or of there's anything more interesting going on.

Do you think the €/$50 promo code is for owning Modo Bass?
If that can be verified, it might make sense to get Modo Bass, as the crossgrade is only $118.

Do you think the €/$50 promo code is for owning Modo Bass?
If that can be verified, it might make sense to get Modo Bass, as the crossgrade is only $118.
As a special thank you to current owners of IK’s MODO BASSsoftware, those users will also receive an automatic coupon for $/€50 off the Crossgrade version. Just be sure you are logged in on our site and add the item to your cart.

Given that modo bass is on sale now, it seems like you could get modo bass and drums for the less than the pre-order price of modo drums alone.

Those exposed audio demos really aren’t doing it for me. I’m a huge fan of MODO bass, but unlike bass, where all we need is the direct output from the instrument, good drum recordings rely so much on the sound of the room as well. I guess I’m getting SM vibes, where no doubt the control and performance will be to die for, but getting it to sound as good as a top class recording may be more difficult. Achieving a workable sound likely won’t be an issue though, judging by the demos.

Physical modeling is the future though, and I’m excited to see companies making some pretty sweet advancements!

Given that the preorder price is good until "August 2019," I'm assuming that the actual release won't be until some (unspecified) time that month. Or am I missing somewhere that provides more concrete release information?

As a special thank you to current owners of IK’s MODO BASSsoftware, those users will also receive an automatic coupon for $/€50 off the Crossgrade version. Just be sure you are logged in on our site and add the item to your cart.

Given that modo bass is on sale now, it seems like you could get modo bass and drums for the less than the pre-order price of modo drums alone.
A little more than that. A crossgrade to Modo Drum is $199.
A crossgrade to Modo Bass ($118) and Modo Drum ($150 with coupon) is $268.

I just noticed MODO Drums says it needs 20GB disk space, so seems like it must have some sample content as I can't imagine a program alone would take up that much real estate.

And further reading says it's a 'combination of modal synthesis and ... sampling'. So seems to be a hybrid of sampling and modelling, unlike MODO Bass which says 'real-time modal synthesis ... — no samples used to create sound'.
(Regarding the ellipsis - I just removed some marketing hyperbole like advanced, technology and groundbreaking).

I just noticed MODO Drums says it needs 20GB disk space, so seems like it must have some sample content as I can't imagine a program alone would take up that much real estate.

And further reading says it's a 'combination of modal synthesis and ... sampling'. So seems to be a hybrid of sampling and modelling, unlike MODO Bass which says 'real-time modal synthesis ... — no samples used to create sound'.
(Regarding the ellipsis - I just removed some marketing hyperbole like advanced, technology and groundbreaking).
The site says: "cymbal sample engine"
Also the cymbals have less parameters to tweak (according to the homepage you can tune them up/down). My guess would be the cymbals are sampled.
Edit: Ok. No evidence the cymbals have less parameters to tweak, but no menu for the cymbals was shown yet (except I overlooked it).

Last edited:
It'd be nice to have a walkthrough of the drums being modified and actually hear the changes, as that is the big feature of MODO Drums. The overview only shows graphics of all those possibilities but not actual sound.

The few drums only audio demos sound very compressed (with the exception of the jazz one). It makes it is hard to hear the dynamic range - which would the be other flagship feature for modelled drums.

Last edited:
At this point I need another virtual drum kit about as badly as I need a case of dysentery. But this still gets my attention because I have the IKM MODO Bass and it's an absolutely fantastic VI.

So I'm definitely going to take a look, especially if there is a crossgrade discount. On the other hand, do I really want to be able to adjust the exact height and diameter of a snare drum? I very much doubt it...

At this point I need another virtual drum kit about as badly as I need a case of dysentery. But this still gets my attention because I have the IKM MODO Bass and it's an absolutely fantastic VI.

So I'm definitely going to take a look, especially if there is a crossgrade discount. On the other hand, do I really want to be able to adjust the exact height and diameter of a snare drum? I very much doubt it...

Why wouldn’t you? Wouldn’t it be like selecting a certain type of snare? Maybe you found the right tone but want it a bit deeper...?

It’s the same as modo bass and the pickup distance. Sometimes just a little adjust makes it sit perfectly.

Having gone through the audio demos now, I've decided not to buy into the early bird pricing. All of the demos sound extremely artificial and harsh to my ears; similar in some ways to SSD, but without the nice warmth of an Oberheim DMX. But I'll probably buy into it eventually, as I tend to support modeling technologies on a matter of principle (I'm a mathematician).

It may just need more audio demos also, as MODO Bass didn't sound good to me until I bought it and made my own settings. As I get older, my tastes are moving backwards, to before my time. I can barely stand anything now unless it has deep passion, wide dynamics, etc. I also rarely listen to recorded music; I mostly attend live acoustic music concerts.

Top Bottom