What's new

If you have both Cubase Pro and Studio One Pro, which one are you using more frequently ?

I agree, but why does the exact same synths and plugins work in Ableton, Bitwig and now in Studio One? I then have to guess which plugin/plugins it is that Cubase doesn't like. I tried to remove some and thought I had it fixed. So it's Cubase that don't want to deal with some third party plugin. That's for sure. I found out that VEP didn't like the synth Spire so I removed it from Cubase and thought that I had it fixed, but shortly after Cubase crashed and freezed again. I read that some people done reinstallation of Windows and of Cubase several times to get things fixed. I don't want to do that. There are many things I like about Cubase and surely I will miss them. But when it comes to stability, I just had enough. At least I have a license and maybe one day when I buy a new computer, I will come back. But at the moment, I just want to compose, not doing trial and error for debugging a DAW.
I understand. I have Cubase 13. Cubase can be really picky with plugins. If it crashes, to me it's the plugins. Contact the plugin developer, and see what happens. For Studio One remember they are owned by a Guitar company. Development to me might be in the future be real slow because I believe Presonus are doing a Fender program for Fender play. So just think from a small development team in Presonus Software, what will be the priority when trying to do Fender's programs, and all Presonus software's programs/apps.

Studio One is good though, but I'm not sure if it's going to be the first in adapting to the latest trends, and workflows like it was before. Presonus staff, and people who worked closely with them didn't want or rejected anyone who asked for Atmos.

For me I've using Studio One since it came out.

I understand. I have Cubase 13. Cubase can be really picky with plugins. If it crashes, to me it's the plugins.
These days, with 13, I use my daily freeze ups/BSODs as signs from the universe telling me I should just go to bed and try again in a few hours, instead of tinkering away in Zebra until 5-6 in the morning. :barefoot: :elephant: Works like a charm.

Plugins haven't changed since the upgrade to 13 though. Although, yeah - come to think of it the only thing that changed was the update to the latest Kontakt version. 🤷‍♂️

VEPro rarely, if ever crashes, definitely since 7.3.XXX, I think.

Last edited:
I've already written in this thread that I use Cubase the most. I just want to add that I am happy every time there is a chance to do some work in Bitwig. Studio One is currently waiting on the shelf for the free time coming up, I want to get into it more. The reason I'm not using Bitwig as my main DAW is that it has a restriction to 512 streams and that limits Divisimate to use only 30 rather than 32 channels. And I can't use all my physical control gadgets either in BitWiG due to this stupid limitation. The day the BigWigs upgrade the 512 streams limit I will rebuild my preferred Cubase template in Bitwig - it soo fun and fast to work with two sequencers inside the same DAW! Speaking about Cubase, I have version 13, but I started with Cubase in the ATARI days and now I suddenly realized that the drum editor was better back then compared to today's C13. "Two steps ahead and one step back" for Steinberg :) My best time savers in Cubase are the MIDI Transformer and the STEM exporting set-up.

I understand. I have Cubase 13. Cubase can be really picky with plugins. If it crashes, to me it's the plugins. Contact the plugin developer, and see what happens. For Studio One remember they are owned by a Guitar company. Development to me might be in the future be real slow because I believe Presonus are doing a Fender program for Fender play. So just think from a small development team in Presonus Software, what will be the priority when trying to do Fender's programs, and all Presonus software's programs/apps.

Studio One is good though, but I'm not sure if it's going to be the first in adapting to the latest trends, and workflows like it was before. Presonus staff, and people who worked closely with them didn't want or rejected anyone who asked for Atmos.

For me I've using Studio One since it came out.
I read about the Fender purchase of Presonus, and in my eyes it's a good thing. I prefer stability above anything now. Trends I can get from plugins. And with Studio One I can be from the eLicenser. And in Studio One updates comes directly within the DAW itself instead of as in the case of Cubase via Steinberg Download Assistant. So I prefer simplicity over complexity. But the interesting thing about Steinberg and Cubase is that they are owned by Yamaha, and they don't seem to care that much about the development.

I agree, but why does the exact same synths and plugins work in Ableton, Bitwig and now in Studio One? I then have to guess which plugin/plugins it is that Cubase doesn't like. I tried to remove some and thought I had it fixed. So it's Cubase that don't want to deal with some third party plugin. That's for sure. I found out that VEP didn't like the synth Spire so I removed it from Cubase and thought that I had it fixed, but shortly after Cubase crashed and freezed again. I read that some people done reinstallation of Windows and of Cubase several times to get things fixed. I don't want to do that. There are many things I like about Cubase and surely I will miss them. But when it comes to stability, I just had enough. At least I have a license and maybe one day when I buy a new computer, I will come back. But at the moment, I just want to compose, not doing trial and error for debugging a DAW.
I feel for you, it’s very annoying to debug a DAW when you are in the mood to just write. I use both, more of Cubase 13 lately since they made the workflow improvements. Cubase has been really solid for me.
It seems like it is definitely your system set up, have you tried providing the crash log to support?

I prefer Cubase despite some parts being still clunky and from 90s because it is the most stable and better performance of all the rest for me. The rest I tired all slow down GUI actions after the session gets dense (Logic, Live) I used Studio One for a long time but fed up with crashes, corrupt sessions and cpu spikes around version 4 I think, so moved on to Cubase 10.

Steinberg has too many on their hand but they try to bring a new version so frequently that they mostly just add some unnecessary plug ins a couple changes to justify the cost instead of taking the time to finesse the program.

Things I do not like in Cubase are for example,

Preset management should be easier like Studio One or Live, drag drop anywhere in the browser to save a preset.
Mediabay is clunky, sometimes works sometimes does not, sometimes need a rebuild.
No representation of Folders in the mixer
Archaic Freeze function.
Too much dependent on Logical Editors for simple midi stuff.
Ongoing inconsistencies with the GUI since forever. They just can not seem to get it right and keep trying and changing.

You have never contacted Steinberg support, have you? 😬 In many cases, it would be faster to have a kid, send him to a good programming university, have him reverse-engineer Cubase once he's done graduating, and attempt to fix the issue.
I have heard about that in this forum but that didn’t stop me from getting help (neither should it stop the OP). In all fairness, they resolved my Dorico problem pretty quickly as my new version were rejecting plugins. Maybe it’s Dorico only.

I have heard about that in this forum but that didn’t stop me from getting help (neither should it stop the OP). In all fairness, they resolved my Dorico problem pretty quickly as my new version were rejecting plugins. Maybe it’s Dorico only.
You are one of the few! I opened a ticket in 2019 with their support, never got an answer and got an email in 2023 informing me that my ticket had been closed and marked as "resolved." 🤣

I'm late to this party but I'll give my general thoughts. I ran a studio with Cubase for many years, starting way back with Cubase VST up until about Cubase 5. I have recently tried Cubase 12. I found it ironic that after years of me complaining about the MDI interface, they consolidated it a bit more about a year or two after I left. That was my only real gripe with Cubase, all of the darn windows.

Anyway...

Workflow: This always was and continues to be Studio One's saving grace. The workflow, once you get used to it, is very, very hard to walk away from. There are so many useful and clever things in the overall design and workflow that it's a little addictive in a way.

Audio Recording and Mixing: I think this is generally a wash. Studio One got up to speed with audio pretty quickly. I prefer the Studio One mixer personally but the Cubase mixer seems fine. The only real advantage Cubase may have is the Control Room Mixer.

MIDI: Cubase has an obvious technical edge there. The only real question is if most people need all of that midi juice, but it's clearly the case that Cubase is much more powerful midi sequencer. Studio One has some really clever bits in various places and certainly gets the job done, but of course a program that began as a professional sequencer long before there was any such thing as a DAW would have pretty big head start. See the MIDI Logical Editor and transformers.

My overall biggest gripe with Studio One is the lack of MIDI plugins.

Reactions: EgM
I'm late to this party but I'll give my general thoughts. I ran a studio with Cubase for many years, starting way back with Cubase VST up until about Cubase 5. I have recently tried Cubase 12. I found it ironic that after years of me complaining about the MDI interface, they consolidated it a bit more about a year or two after I left. That was my only real gripe with Cubase, all of the darn windows.

Anyway...

Workflow: This always was and continues to be Studio One's saving grace. The workflow, once you get used to it, is very, very hard to walk away from. There are so many useful and clever things in the overall design and workflow that it's a little addictive in a way.

Audio Recording and Mixing: I think this is generally a wash. Studio One got up to speed with audio pretty quickly. I prefer the Studio One mixer personally but the Cubase mixer seems fine. The only real advantage Cubase may have is the Control Room Mixer.

MIDI: Cubase has an obvious technical edge there. The only real question is if most people need all of that midi juice, but it's clearly the case that Cubase is much more powerful midi sequencer. Studio One has some really clever bits in various places and certainly gets the job done, but of course a program that began as a professional sequencer long before there was any such thing as a DAW would have pretty big head start. See the MIDI Logical Editor and transformers.

My overall biggest gripe with Studio One is the lack of MIDI plugins.
I started on Sonar which became Cakewalk, then I defected to Logic for better VST and Midi handling, then I bought Cubase 12 for the same reason, but got stopped cold in my tracks by the clunky workflow and steep learning curve. I thought I was a really tech-oriented person but Cubase was just discouraging!

I discovered Studio One watching Corey Pelizzari’s Youtube reviews and guides (really miss him btw), and once I tried it, it really was like really an addiction! Now, I put up with its little quirks because drag-and-drop everything, easy macro-building, powerful key command editing, instant track presets, intuitive sound variation management and auto-populating articulations with VSL libraries etc. are all workflow cheat codes I can’t work without any more.

The day Cubase implements a similarly smooth workflow I’ll try it again, because I use midi a lot, but until then, great workflow outweighs any slight drawbacks!

You are one of the few! I opened a ticket in 2019 with their support, never got an answer and got an email in 2023 informing me that my ticket had been closed and marked as "resolved." 🤣
Yeah, I've heard similar cases, they really need to beef up the support front. Totally understand the sentiment.

C13 hopefully it's a start of them paying more attention to workflow. With C13 I am finding myself moving back. Cubase is extremely powerful but come at a cost...just has a 30 years boatload of features, quirks and interdependencies that somehow you need to go through a learning curve. In the end, whichever float your boat eg whether you need those features or not depend on the person's needs.

Also very weirdly, since moving back to Cubase, I've tried Studio One again and notice there's a sound quality difference - I thought I was mad and it was not suppose to happen. But exact similar VST, no effects whatsoever, Cubase sounded closer, more warnth and more "analog". Studio One sounds more open, clean but sterile. Maybe it's just my system set up (or I am just hallucianting!).... but I am probably not alone, see reddit link:

I can't shake the sound difference though once I hear them.

Not this again... All DAWs sound the same and this has been discussed a million times

Not this again... All DAWs sound the same and this has been discussed a million times
Not on my two DAWs though. I want to make them sound the same, but I can’t. I spent half a day trying to tweak sound settings, ASIO drivers etc. If you have pointers please let me know.

🙄 The myth seems to never die out. Although it has already been proven wrong thousands of times.
The thing that cracks me up... the listener will hear your piece in its final print and never hear a DAW comparison.
IT. DOESN'T. MATTER. ;)

The thing that cracks me up... the listener will hear your piece in its final print and never hear a DAW comparison.
IT. DOESN'T. MATTER. ;)
🙄 The myth seems to never die out. Although it has already been proven wrong thousands of times.
Didn't realise I brought up an long-standing theme that was previously beaten to death and got a few people riled up and going "here we go again". I can feel the ground cracking ....and I better stop here.

Also, doing a search on the validity of DAW null test search uncovers quite a bit of articles on its validity and subsequent debate that is really beyond me. Not sure I have the capability of finding my way in the rabbithole. I am sure the null test will prove they are the same, but there's always buts and some brave souls who tried otherwise https://www.admiralbumblebee.com/music/2019/02/17/Daw-V-Daw-Differ.html

Apologies for the deraiing the thread. I am new to this technology/DAW things, more of a musician who just want to write/feel/play and not let DAW get in a way. Moving on, Cubase does it for me at the moment..........and Studio One I am sure they sound the same!

Every time someone tries to prove that DAWs sound the same , they use a few audio files with no treatment and do a bounce in each DAW , then they do a null test on the files and conclude : the files null so there is no difference between the DAWs and some would add that if you don't accept " science " you believe in a myth . But the only thing that was scientifically proven here is that DAWs handle a few audio track with no processing the same way , that experiment does not allow you to conclude anything else .

What happens when you have a lot of tracks ( both midi and audio ) with a lot of plugins that require a latency compensation ?

As an example : if I remember correctly Logic had a bug for a long time that was fixed fairly recently : the latency compensation wasn't done correctly on plugins that were on aux tracks ( sends )

Last edited:
Top Bottom