What's new

If you could only use 5 sample libraries?

Albion One
VSL Special Edition
Sound Dust Selection
SonicCouture Selection
Pettinhouse guitars

Also Pianoteq 6 - Omnisphere - Reaktor but these are not sample libraries

Spitfire Symphonic Orchestra
Albion One
Cineperc
Cinebrass
Damage

Throw in liberal dashes of Omnisphere and you can cover a lot of ground...

Hmm. I'm just starting out so I don't have even a percentage of what I've seen in this topic, but I guess for me it'd be something like:

Red Room Audio Palette
Damage
Symphony Series Essentials: Brass, Strings and Woodwinds

Hmm. I'm just starting out so I don't have even a percentage of what I've seen in this topic, but I guess for me it'd be something like:

Red Room Audio Palette
Damage
Symphony Series Essentials: Brass, Strings and Woodwinds

you are in an advantageous position to add libraries judiciously from the wealth of experience on vi-c.

you can do a lot with what you have.

welcome!

it's a great group here, everyone is so willing to help.

you are in an advantageous position to add libraries judiciously from the wealth of experience on vi-c.

you can do a lot with what you have.

welcome!

it's a great group here, everyone is so willing to help.

Oh yes, I really love it here ^^. It's very motivating and I'm learning a lot, even if the last week has been more about learning to navigate the treacherous waters of plugin sales :P.

I do find myself having come down with this strange infection that makes me want to ignore my budget constraints and just get things like Novo and Forzo, even though I won't be needing anything of the sort for at least the next 6 months. Strange, that. May need to get that looked at.

Oh yes, I really love it here ^^. It's very motivating and I'm learning a lot, even if the last week has been more about learning to navigate the treacherous waters of plugin sales :P.

I do find myself having come down with this strange infection that makes me want to ignore my budget constraints and just get things like Novo and Forzo, even though I won't be needing anything of the sort for at least the next 6 months. Strange, that. May need to get that looked at.

it is a test of will.

Very different workhorses here, interesting, it does depend a lot on what people produce.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a top-5 orchestra list and a top-5 non-orchestra list?

It wouldn't really add anything to your palette if you already have Berlin Strings and CSS.
I utilize USE as a bread and butter library, layering CSSS on top for more expressiveness.
Auddict USE is a criminally underrated collection of strings samples.
Don't have USE, but they sound stunning... very Eastern European!

1. Piano - still don't know; so I'll let @chillbot decide as he has every piano vst ever made.
2. Strings - Lass 3.5; v3.0 was great, but you don't know what you're missing if you're missing that .5.
3. N/A
4. N/A (at least until Mike adds a jew's harp to Realibanjo)
5. https://bit.ly/SFIwantitall

Last edited:
Iconica strings and sections (not sure if that's legal here because of the vast selection)
Cinebrass core
Symphonic choirs platinum
Drums of the deep 2
United strings of Europe

CSS Strings or Hollywood Strings, depends on which day you ask me
Hollywood Brass
Fluffy Audio Woodwinds
True Strike Percussion
Embertone Walker D

And because I must also have at least one synth that can also do choir, Omnisphere 2.
The Fluffy audio woodwinds sound great,rich

I did a quick noodle through the Legato, Sautille and Pizzicato articulations here.

Legato: V1/V2 in octaves, Vla/Celli/Basses tutti.
Sautille: Tutti
Pizzicato: Tutti

This is unquantized, the shorts are ridiculously tight so any lagging
behind that you may hear stems from my poor keyboard skills.
No modwheel action, all of the articulations utilize the softest dynamic layer.

This is using the Outrigger mics, my favourite out of all the microphone positions.
There's a splosh of ValhallaRoom added, the Outriggers are actually quite dry.

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/auddict-use-legato-sautille-and-pizzicato-mp3.16618/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Thanks for going into the trouble of making this audio, it was very revealing. The shorts are great, you can really hear the bow and that's something I appreciate having on any library. Hard to judge the longs without proper CC1 action but as you said it's just some quick noodling. Thanks again :thumbsup:

Cinematic Strings 2

Cinewinds

Cinebrass

Apocalypse Percussion

Era II Vocal Codex

and that about covers all I have anyway.

It might be a fun exercise to randomly pick five VIs and see what you make with them.

Best,

Geoff
This might be a fun exercise for the New Year - randomly pick 5 a month and make something with just the five.

Probably need to categorize them first. It will be hard to make something with five string libraries

This might be a fun exercise for the New Year - randomly pick 5 a month and make something with just the five.

Probably need to categorize them first. It will be hard to make something with five string libraries
I’d say there’s plenty you can do with 5 string libraries, as long as they have plenty of articulations and FX

Is anybody else looking at most of the lists and thinking "nice combo - I could work with that"? Fact is that there are so many high quality libraries out there now. It's like Mozart choosing his wigs in Amadeus; why don't I have three heads?

Crazy these days isn't it! we simply have way too much choice! Gone are the days where we had far less choice of tools and had to make the best of their limitations! I think this abundance of choice is the other side of that double edged sword that modern technology sharpens to all us composers detriment!

Top Bottom