Ideal fundamental frequency for booms.

Ctd

Hi,

Wondering if there is a reliable fundamental frequency to base booms around for cinema?

I've heard from various dance music producers that 50hz is a good fundamental for kicks for club music as it tends to translate really well across alot of club systems.

I was wondering if theres a similar opinion across cinema systems?

Cheers,

Chris.

timprebble

Sound designer, Composer, Sound library developer
re 50Hz I wonder what country you live in? a 50Hz country?

Only way I can answer your question is to say it depends on context.
Bass booms need to be in same key as the music, if its pitch is apparent.

One thing I most notice when moving material from my studio (5.1 with sub) to full size film dub stage, is how sub bass translates. Given that a 20Hz wave has a wavelength of 17metres, you will only be hearing a harmonic in smaller rooms. Hearing it on a dub stage is another whole experience....

synthesizerwriter

Bits and bites of sound and silence...
Yep: Context is vital. I would always design with the actual final target fully in mind. Channels? Surround, stereo or mono? (Is what works in a club a good guide? Clubs might be mono, for example). Then, as @timprebble says, there's the size (and acoustic treatment) of the environment that you design in versus the final delivery (physics is a harsh mistress). Then there's peaky responses or bands: do you want your booms to be pitched or unpitched? Sweeps? Is the rest of the spectrum you are generating pitched, noisy or sweeping? How much spectrum do you want to clear above your booms so that you don't get masking? Do you want 'standard' booms, or something different? Also don't forget that music is sound AND silence - what happens before, during and after your booms? Oh, and some countries have 50 or 60 Hz mains depending on your location: Japan, for example. Context, all context...

paularthur

Hi,

Wondering if there is a reliable fundamental frequency to base booms around for cinema?

I've heard from various dance music producers that 50hz is a good fundamental for kicks for club music as it tends to translate really well across alot of club systems.

I was wondering if theres a similar opinion across cinema systems?

Cheers,

Chris.
It's a very good question, something I've been thinking a lot about since I made the career-change.
Speaking from experience, this is true of venue style clubs because they tend to have to a funktion-one sound-system, and that's a sweet spot for the blend of hearing/feeling a kick.

Last edited:

Pier

I don't know, but it should be easy to extract the audio from a Hollywood movie and see what frequency they are using.