What's new

IATSE Strike

jonathanparham

We'll see if IATSE strikes. Do you believe they will? Asking for permission to strike usually doesn't end in a strike.
I don't know. The question for me is what will Producers do. Keep in mind this is very different, as been discussed on VI, from being an independent contractor who is a song writer or composer. IATSE covers so many production people not just in CA or NY, but in other media tax incentive states like Atlanta and Louisiana. Also, we're talking about people who make films and tv 'go.' The news outlets I'm hearing is not quite accurate. This is labor for 'below the line crew' Gaffers, grips, sound, carpenters, scenics, even craft service that supply coffee and donuts on set. My guild is ready to walk. IATSE has never gone on strike before, and location filming is going full speed to make up for the pandemic. Personally, I'm hoping this is just a big game of chicken and AMPTP will cough up more on hours and benefits. Notice it's not about the hourly 'amount' of pay, but the amount of hours.

chimuelo

Star Of Stage & Screen
Getting into group insurance with the Teamsters is a wise move.

Years back the Carpenters Union broke away from the AFL-CIO and since have offered Musicians Union members into their group buy.

Before that being a Union Member had little to nothing in benefits other than burial, as if you could prove that. You’ll pay a monthly out of pocket fee but vision and dental were unlimited a while back.

Theres always a bean counter deciding if your claims are cosmetic, but even a couple fillings or root canals make it a great bargain.

Go Teamsters..

thebeesknees22

... Notice it's not about the hourly 'amount' of pay, but the amount of hours.
Yeah, there's so much work going on right now it's been brutal on the vfx side too. We're bleeding people who are leaving the industry because they're getting burnt out. I myself have done 60-90hrs since late April. I finally had my first 45hr week last week since then last week, but we're going to ramp up hard again soon. I know others who've been in the same boat or worse.

I don't doubt it's just as bad on the client side.

It's rough. There's way more work right now than there are experienced people, and the experienced people are getting so fried they're leaving. That's just compounding the problem, because you can't run a big show with junior talent. No doubt the same goes for the client side too.

I wish we had a union on the vfx side too, but we have too many ego's on our end to ever pull together as a group. lol

OP
davidnaroth

davidnaroth

Naroth Audio
Yeah, there's so much work going on right now it's been brutal on the vfx side too. We're bleeding people who are leaving the industry because they're getting burnt out. I myself have done 60-90hrs since late April. I finally had my first 45hr week last week since then last week, but we're going to ramp up hard again soon. I know others who've been in the same boat or worse.

I don't doubt it's just as bad on the client side.

It's rough. There's way more work right now than there are experienced people, and the experienced people are getting so fried they're leaving. That's just compounding the problem, because you can't run a big show with junior talent. No doubt the same goes for the client side too.

I wish we had a union on the vfx side too, but we have too many ego's on our end to ever pull together as a group. lol
Its nice theres sooo much work going around, but yeah its definitely unsustainable

RSK

So for those who are inclined to man the anti-union battle stations, or are inclined to rambling posts about unions in general, please avoid this thread. That's not to say this thread should be pro-union either, but it would be best if the thread stays in a direction that's interesting to everyone, rather than a full on debate or venting.
I'm generally not a fan of unions, but I support the IATSE on this one. Conditions for crew need to improve, and now.

thebeesknees22

Well.... Shoot.

I like how they have a countdown timer and everything lol

I'm not surprised though. The way the clients were trying to push turnovers to us in a rush made me think that it was a real possibility.

Gingerbread

Curious what people here think....who has the bigger leverage here? Can a full nationwide IATSE strike actually break the will of the producers/huge corporations? Which side has the ability to successfully withstand a lengthy strike long enough to force the other side to concede?

thebeesknees22

given that editors are with the IATSE I'd say they have enough pull. Sure you could find another body I guess. But you need someone with experience and talent, and that's not easy to find.

I can't say who can last longer in a strike. The studios want to push out so much content right now they won't want to wait long if things start shutting down. I think they'd concede at some point.

I just don't know how long members of the IATSE can hold out after the covid shutdowns happened.

..we shall see!

hoxclab

Curious what people here think....who has the bigger leverage here? Can a full nationwide IATSE strike actually break the will of the producers/huge corporations? Which side has the ability to successfully withstand a lengthy strike long enough to force the other side to concede?
I doubt it. Look how many people are in media creation. Look how many people are out of work or working from home. There is, as Marx termed a reserve army of labour, not only in media creation but outside of media creation that would fill the gaps. People are even paying to be able to be on projects. Reverse internships exist. The population keeps growing and everyone and their momma wants to be famous and in the "industry."

thebeesknees22

I'm...mmm... not sure I agree with that.

Sure you can replace lower level people. It's those really experienced, really good people that aren't easily replaceable. And having those really good and experienced people can make a world of difference on a show.

Also sure, a lot of people want to be in the industry. But only a few out of those many can withstand the pressure and stress. I've seen so many wash out over the years. It takes a special type of person to work in film or tv no matter which department they're in. *cough: be a glutton for punishment. ha :laugh:

But that's just been my experience in post production.

Gingerbread

It’s interesting how little media attention this potential massive strike has gotten. It’s almost as if the media (which is largely the same corps that own the studios) doesn’t want attention on labor flexing its considerable muscle.

jonathanparham

Just announced....the strike is averted, the studios caved, and IATSE got pretty much everything they were asking for.

Great news!
crap beat me to it. I got distracted by the staffpad thread lol. I received an email from my guild about two hours ago. We'll see. What I read was 'basic' agreement. The strike Monday was a work stoppage. BUT now we'll see how the gig goes and what's honored.

Gingerbread

crap beat me to it. I got distracted by the staffpad thread lol. I received an email from my guild about two hours ago. We'll see. What I read was 'basic' agreement. The strike Monday was a work stoppage. BUT now we'll see how the gig goes and what's honored.
Well I might've celebrated too soon. Some are saying that many in the rank-and-file don't think it goes far enough, and may not vote to ratify it. I guess we'll see what happens.

Top Bottom