What's new

I want to touch real knobs: Deepmind or Minilogue XD?

So did I... ;)
Ha! Fair enough.

Looks like it could become the de-facto answer to "I want an analog synth, what should I get?". Unless you're looking for a specific sound, of course (e.g., P6, OB6, etc.).

It's also gigantic (to me).

I wouldn't / literally couldn't replace my desktop OB-6 with the Arturia, but if I had the space, I'd seriously pine over it in terms of having it in addition to the OB-6. The Arturia already sounds better to me than the Peak/Summit.

Ha! Fair enough.

Looks like it could become the de-facto answer to "I want an analog synth, what should I get?". Unless you're looking for a specific sound, of course (e.g., P6, OB6, etc.).

It's also gigantic (to me).

I wouldn't / literally couldn't replace my desktop OB-6 with the Arturia, but if I had the space, I'd seriously pine over it in terms of having it in addition to the OB-6. The Arturia already sounds better to me than the Peak/Summit.
Yeah, I'd be seriously tempted if they did a module but I really don't want another keyboard....

In terms of actual hardware, the Pro 800 seems like it will be a great option and the price certainly won't break the bank in comparison to other available poly choices! Eight voices of real analog and no menu diving or hiding behind effects sounds really appealing... of course, also depending on one's specific needs and tastes.

In terms of actual hardware, the Pro 800 seems like it will be a great option and the price certainly won't break the bank in comparison to other available poly choices! Eight voices of real analog and no menu diving or hiding behind effects sounds really appealing... of course, also depending on one's specific needs and tastes.

Yes, but one must wait at least 4 months or so before it’s released.

I've played both at the store I work at. I prefer the Minilogue XD personally. If I had lotsa dough, I'd buy it. But I really don't have a need for hardware gear at this point.

I've played both at the store I work at. I prefer the Minilogue XD personally. If I had lotsa dough, I'd buy it. But I really don't have a need for hardware gear at this point.
Ha, I don't really have a need either, but it is frustrating that even in London there's nowhere I can currently demo all the contenders....

Again, choosing between the 2, I'd go with the XD every single time. Why? Tone. Plus the digital is kinda cool for random awesome things.

I have a dozen soft synths and a hundred effects to take it from there since I work at a desk not a studio full of hardware. I don't need the effects of a Deepmind at all. That's one reason I went with a simple 1:1 hardware analog monosynth and a simple 1:1 hardware analog polysynth: tone. My only 2 hardware synths, which I sync with the DAW tempo by using an Expert Sleepers USAMO to the main poly, and then thru to the mono. Both are desktop modules. I then layer on and manipulate sound all I want with zillions of things on the PC.

If you're looking to get away from the PC, then the Deepmind becomes more of a possibility, in my opinion.

Update: I still haven't bought any hardware! But one thing I have realized is that I am unwilling to give up the convenience of automation over midi cc at least, which rules out the Behringer D and Pro-1, even though I love how they sound from demos, and probably also the upcoming 800 too. I wish I liked the sound of the Minilogue XD (or the Peak or the Rev2) as much, but I don't; I like the sound of the Deepmind better but that horrible early-90s screen is tough to swallow.

Prophet 6 or OB6 sound more like what I'm after but I'm not willing to spend that much right now. The Roland SE-02 however is still potentially calling to me. I like kind of "liquid, overdriven" lead sounds and really snappy (and also a bit overdriven; can you tell I'm a lead guitarist?) Junoesque basses, so if that's what people are calling "aggressive" it might be right up my street.

Last edited:
The SE-02 can be overdriven for sure. And it's way more snappy than any software synth I've used. So if you want to pound out a deep and dirty bassline of 16th notes at 140+ bpm you can do that with ease. I'd say there's fewer harmonics in the SE-02 sound than a Model D, which it overlaps a lot with, but not completely by any means. It's a more modern sound. I recommend using it with a MIDI cord instead of USB (plug the USB in to transfer sounds to/from a PC) because the USB in use raises the noise floor a bit.

Use the resonance to tame the bass; like most (all?) Moogs, increasing the resonance will cut the bass due to the ladder filter. The sequencer is quite good, and has a 1 per value parameter lock.

If you do get the SE-02, keep saving up for the ExtBox from Studio Electronics. Yes, it's over priced for what it is, but what it is makes a noticeable difference if you're crafting your own sounds. The downside is that you can't save the settings, they can't be automated, and they don't output CC. However, the larger and silky cutoff knob is amazing. The Drive and HP filter were the features missing from the SE-02, and make a big difference in the warmth/analog tone, as well as if you want to round off the low-end from leads or high sounds.

Thinking ´bout getting an Minilogue XD.

The knobs transmitting parameters via MIDI to the DAW for automation, right?
Just to wanna be sure. My "2000" JP 8080 does, but who knows 20 years later how the world looks like (where people loving their cassette players).

Thinking ´bout getting an Minilogue XD.

The knobs transmitting parameters via MIDI to the DAW for automation, right?
Just to wanna be sure. My "2000" JP 8080 does, but who knows 20 years later how the world looks like (where people loving their cassette players).
One of the best parts of the XD is the digital component. There's SO MUCH that's been coded, some free, some paid. The XD does make some odd design choices, such as limiting one of the envelopes vs the original Minilogue, as well, so make sure you're OK with those aspects.

One of the best parts of the XD is the digital component. There's SO MUCH that's been coded, some free, some paid. The XD does make some odd design choices, such as limiting one of the envelopes vs the original Minilogue, as well, so make sure you're OK with those aspects.
I know about the limited Filter envelope, but my question goes in another direction.

Top Bottom