1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I am getting better:)

Discussion in 'Member's Compositions' started by Mads Skønberg, Aug 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Mads Skønberg

Mads Skønberg Senior Member

Aug 18, 2017
    So it would be nice to hear what you guys think? Promise to listen to all feedback!

Libraries used:

-Fransesca
    -The New Hybrid 1
    -Cinematic Strings
    -Trailer Brass
    -Trailer Strings
    -Damage
    -Hybrid Tools 3
    -Albion1
    -Jaeger
    -Lacrimosa choir

angeruroth and michelsimons like this.
  2. AlexanderSchiborr

AlexanderSchiborr Senior Member

May 1, 2014
    I don´t know mads, but this track is a bit chaotic to my ears. I am not sure where I should focus on..you introduce just for my personal taste too many ideas at the same time (also counterpoints), sometimes too many elements playing different things which confuses me. Also the colors get tiring because french horns are blasting most of the time on FF (thats not only tiring to the ears but to the players even more). My biggest thing here: Less could be more..take one of the ideas but stick to the idea more and explore it better and that my friend has something to do to learn to compose and repurpose a short idea and expand, therefore my recommendation: go and study more aspects of that things. I won´t comment on the threadtitle, but I think you should others decide if you are getting better, because that is very subjective feel. I think you learned some stuff in terms of production, but I think you should more focus on structure and composition.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Harry and sekkosiki like this.
  3. EpicDude

EpicDude Senior Member

Jan 5, 2016
    The first half sounds decent but in my opinion the percussion sounds weak. From 1:09 to 1:36 is very confusing and in the last part the choir sounds weak too. I don't know if you're getting better because I haven't heard your previous work but I think you are in the right direction. :thumbsup:

4. OP
    OP
    Mads Skønberg

Aug 18, 2017
    Maybe you are right.. Can be only my self thinking its getting better:)

5. Smikes77

Smikes77 My Avatar looks just like me

Oct 13, 2014
    Brighton, UK
    Although I do agree with @AlexanderSchiborr in many areas, you are getting better. Can you do a piano reduction with just the melody you intended and a basic harmonic structure and post back?

6. OP
    OP
    Mads Skønberg

Aug 18, 2017
    Why?

jhughes likes this.
  7. AlexanderSchiborr

May 1, 2014
    Don´t get me wrong Mad, sure I think you improved I think from your 1st track you posted here, though don´t throw too many elements into one pot, take a bit more time with that and let your statement speak a clear language which means you should introduce one element after another.

8. Smikes77

Smikes77 My Avatar looks just like me

Oct 13, 2014
    Brighton, UK
    Because it helps to separate out what`s important in the piece.

9. AlexanderSchiborr

May 1, 2014
    Not only that, it will and that is the most important thing help you to have control over your writing. That writing here is not controlled, and you have a lot of random stuff ongoing. Listen to Smikes. He knows better. Sketch out tracks with basic harmony and structure before going full.

10. DMDComposer

DMDComposer Senior Member

Apr 21, 2017
    I agree with that you should reduce this to just a piano score because you will really see what works and what doesn't work.

Specifically your B part at 1:09 came out of no where. Not saying you didn't need a B theme or even at that point; but your B theme was so chaotic that it didn't feel connected or the same piece. And to justify on that point, when you come out of your B theme back to the A recap it felt so unnatural. (Not even your trailer break with the riser and voice thing, i mean just ideas from A to B, and B to A is unnatural) Try playing this on the piano.

I'm not sure where you started but I can guarantee with each new piece you write, and that you ask for feedback that you're getting better. Keep it up. ;D

11. jhughes

jhughes Senior Member

May 12, 2017
    Georgia
    My comments are based on your style and what you've posted in the past-I think 1:11 to 1:30 isn't coherent. Your tune doesn't need all of those sounds if you ask me. Dial it back and make it simpler.

Here is something I think you should mess with:

Take your note sequence which I personally think is nice because it's simple and easy to remember.
    C-D-Eb-Ab-G

Play the EXACT same notes over a different chord. Let's say F minor, that was one of your second chords.

Mess around with playing the same notes but on different chords, pick a Bb major, Ab major, Eb major....listen to the effects of playing those notes over it.

Do this one, play your sequence as you have it and then switch to G minor and then use the Notes G-A-Bb-Eb-D. Those are the same steps as your theme there but starting on a different note, aka a sequence.

Another idea:
    Take two of your notes Ab to G. Put them in the background in various places, it's a minor 2nd interval. Drop min 2nds around in the background.

I could hear fragmenting your melody to build up to your climax, just use two of the notes Ab to G and move through harmonies/chords faster (instead of one chord change per measure, maybe two). Heck that could be your "B" section. Short but sweet.

This could be a nice catchy song but you have to get out the scissors :)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  12. OP
    OP
    Mads Skønberg

Aug 18, 2017
    ok.. not better after all..

Guess I will only make music for my self in the future too :)

13. AlexanderSchiborr

May 1, 2014
    No man..whats that, mann :D Just listen to the guys here and work on that. Thats good you share your tracks. You know it is not that we say: You suck. Believe me: I suck with things too, but the point is to listen and to adapt the things I get told in order to improve. That takes time. I once told you that: You are not becoming a great composer in such a short amount of time. Don´t you realize that? Really reboot your system regarding critic input.

14. robgb

robgb I Have Strong Opinions

Apr 6, 2016
    Sounds great up until the tempo change. Then it seems to get a little out of whack. I think you're on the right track here, but the more "epic" portion needs to be rethought. I know it's popular today to throw a couple dozen instruments into a mix and create big and bold music, but truthfully, the reason the first half sounds better has a lot to do with its economy and clarity. As it goes, you have a good melody, so concentrate on highlighting that and don't let it get lost in the bombast and erratic tempo change.

AlexanderSchiborr likes this.
  15. AlexanderSchiborr

May 1, 2014
    Completely agreed here, and that is because he doesn´t trade on things which he introduced before, it feels like a different song.
    So @Mads Skønberg To maintain continuity you should think about what you did before and maintain certain gestures, motifs, ryhthms to take the listener on the next journey. Also when you break there: The internal clock of the listener still counts the 4 beat and you just fuck it, because you start too early with that part, you should at least make that transition more smooth by at least letting the old tempo count another 4 beat on the old tempo or make a 4 beat low impact to speed it up so that the listener can follow that.. And then you introduce the new tempo..too many new elements at the same time..take your time with that. THen at 1:30 again a tempo change..but again slowed down. Thats not good because you again fuck with the listeners expactations. You slow also down the suspension in your track by slowing down again. Imo just stick to that speed up part out or stick to the old tempo, but make it more gentle by introducing not so many things at the same time. There is no rush. That is no exciting it is confusing. So..simplify that things.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018 at 10:40 AM
    sekkosiki, robgb and DMDComposer like this.
  16. whitewasteland

whitewasteland Senior Member

Mar 9, 2016
    In the middle of nowhere.
    I would say that both composition and harmony rely on the same simple concept :

Too much surprise/chaos and the listener gets lost. Too much predictability/continuity and the listener gets bored.

We just have to find the right balance between the two. :)

17. jhughes

jhughes Senior Member

May 12, 2017
    Georgia
    Duuuuuude, this isn't the right attitude. Look, I know when you work really hard at something and the flaws are pointed out it sucks to take in.
    However, by running from the feedback you run from the thing that will make you better. Change your perspective to one of welcoming input; it's hard because of the investment, but if you do it enough your ability to take the feedback increases. Eventually it will be about the level of you laughing at yourself for tripping instead of something that ruins your day. I think you should play with changing it and see what happens. Nobody said to throw it away.

DMDComposer likes this.
  18. Polkasound

Polkasound Senior Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI
    Mads, I agree with all of the helpful pointers regarding the composition, but as far as getting better goes, I think you're making fantastic strides. Compared to your early tracks, I hear improvement across the board. Keep up the great work!

Smikes77 and AlexanderSchiborr like this.
  19. OP
    OP
    Mads Skønberg

Aug 18, 2017
    I am forgetting about making the track any better. But thanx for the tips.

I tried a totally different genre instead. What do you think?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018 at 2:01 PM
  20. robgb

robgb I Have Strong Opinions

Apr 6, 2016
    I like this a lot.