What's new

I need some advice on Chirs Hein Brass Complete

I should have added to my last post that, despite the misunderstanding regarding the update pricing, Chris Hein's Orchestral Brass Complete and Cinesamples' Voxos 2 are still tied as my two favorite VI purchases of last year. So free or not, the brass update is a must-have, and I'm sure it's worth every penny if not more. The only reason I was hoping for the free update is because I have very little need for brass libraries, so I tend to buy them only when the discounts are too good to pass up.

For those of you who don't yet own a CH Orchestral Brass library, you're in for a real treat. :)

The best deal of the year ?
yes, one of them, at least. isn't it.
If 400 EUR is the Suggested retail price - then 167 EUR is a ....wait ..
...58% discount, for a freshly updated and "extended" product.

Purchased.
This is my personal first step into the world of superdry, very clean and detailed CH recordings.
whoohooo, exciting :- )

I should have added to my last post that, despite the misunderstanding regarding the update pricing, Chris Hein's Orchestral Brass Complete and Cinesamples' Voxos 2 are still tied as my two favorite VI purchases of last year. So free or not, the brass update is a must-have, and I'm sure it's worth every penny if not more. The only reason I was hoping for the free update is because I have very little need for brass libraries, so I tend to buy them only when the discounts are too good to pass up.

For those of you who don't yet own a CH Orchestral Brass library, you're in for a real treat. :)

You are much more gracious about this than I would be. Anyone who purchased Orchestral Brass Complete subsequent to the promise made earlier in this thread is absolutely entitled to a free upgrade. Simple like that.

At 30% discount from Best Service, it was quite easy to decide to buy CH-Orch. Brass Extended at $269. Great Value, and Library :2thumbs:

Anyone who purchased Orchestral Brass Complete subsequent to the promise made earlier in this thread is absolutely entitled to a free upgrade. Simple like that.

I agree with you. If the promise generated the receipt of money, then it must be treated as a promotion, and Chris is obligated to comply with the terms of the promotion by either freely giving his update to everyone who purchased Brass Complete after November 22, or issue them a refund. But Chris, who's always been a highly respected developer, admitted making a mistake. Granted, it was a whopper of a mistake from a consumer standpoint, but assuming it was an honest one, everyone can then look at the situation from their individual perspectives.

From my perspective, CHOB Complete is a fantastic-sounding library. The first time I played it, I was relieved to hear what processed, dry samples could accomplish in an orchestral setting, because nothing annoys me more than dynamics controllers lopping off baked-in reverb tails. Chris then spent six months adding tubas, euphoniums, and sousaphones. Factor in the phase-aligned crossfading and everything else, and it's a lot of work for which I hope he is duly rewarded through sales.

Mistakes happen. Sometimes good developers get excited and act without thinking, like when they tease an upcoming sample library by posting audio of a real performance of the instrument, or by prematurely promising a free update. Mistakes like these can be very inconvenient, but they do happen.

A couple weeks ago in another thread, a VI-Control member noticed a developer apparently mark up their instruments up 200% right before advertising them for 50% off. These are the kinds of developers that need to be called out with pitchforks and held to the pyre. Chris Hein, however, has proven himself over the years to be nothing like that.

I agree with you. If the promise generated the receipt of money, then it must be treated as a promotion, and Chris is obligated to comply with the terms of the promotion by either freely giving his update to everyone who purchased Brass Complete after November 22, or issue them a refund. But Chris, who's always been a highly respected developer, admitted making a mistake. Granted, it was a whopper of a mistake from a consumer standpoint, but assuming it was an honest one, everyone can then look at the situation from their individual perspectives.

From my perspective, CHOB Complete is a fantastic-sounding library. The first time I played it, I was relieved to hear what processed, dry samples could accomplish in an orchestral setting, because nothing annoys me more than dynamics controllers lopping off baked-in reverb tails. Chris then spent six months adding tubas, euphoniums, and sousaphones. Factor in the phase-aligned crossfading and everything else, and it's a lot of work for which I hope he is duly rewarded through sales.

Mistakes happen. Sometimes good developers get excited and act without thinking, like when they tease an upcoming sample library by posting audio of a real performance of the instrument, or by prematurely promising a free update. Mistakes like these can be very inconvenient, but they do happen.

A couple weeks ago in another thread, a VI-Control member noticed a developer apparently mark up their instruments up 200% right before advertising them for 50% off. These are the kinds of developers that need to be called out with pitchforks and held to the pyre. Chris Hein, however, has proven himself over the years to be nothing like that.

Nice post. I freely admit/confess that I am a reactionary on web forums against what I perceive (rightly or wrongly, but I am right) to be a general, dire & chronic state of unfairness when it comes to consumer rights in the software domain. So I tend to "jump the gun" in a militant, melodramatic way.

I do not believe for one second that CH's promised free upgrade was in any way a calculated deception. Every product I have from him (Winds Complete, Brass Complete, Solo Cello Extd) is absolutely top-notch, among my very favorite libraries, and I have always seen him as a 1st class, stand-up developer. This opinion has not changed.

One of the ironies is that I am really, truly ALMOST DONE buying sample libraries and VIs, am now over the phase where I am tripping on new products and developments. My very last interest in spending money on software is to finish the CH orchestral set, CH Horns and also get some quality AM/SM physical modeled brass and winds. Once I have these things I am going to stop paying attention to new libraries, video walkthroughs, sales and the rest of it. Geeking-out on this VI world is interfering with how I experience music, and not in a good way...

But bottom line: If developers make affirmative, public statements that if you buy x you will get y, then they are honor-bound to follow through, most especially when people make purchasing decisions based on such statements, as you did. This remains true regardless of the motive, intention, or subjective psycho-emotional circumstances from which the promise was made. We are responsible for what we say and do, and I very much hope that Chris Hein stands on his word and honors his promise.

Last edited:
I noticed that everything by Chris Hein is 30% off at Best Service but for TODAY ONLY.

I highly recommend checking out Brass Extended and Solo Strings which have become my top libraries in their genre. Very flexible sound and playability.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I have to, but I feel like I should explain.

I'm at NAMM at the moment with very little time.
I really feel bad when I read this discussion about my "promise".

I haven't made any official announcement about a free update.
It was a comment to a threat which I didn't start.
But okay, I have said that and things have changed later.

At that time I thought I would be ready early December.
But, I found a lot more things to do to improve the library.
I produced more than 15.000 more new samples for the new large Ensembles,
I spent a lot of time and money to include the Muted Option.

So, what you get now with the EXtended version is a lot more than I thought in November.
All in all you get 20 GB new content with 44.000 new samples.

I have learned that I shouldn't make any announcement anymore.
I'll finish my products and let you know when its ready.
Sorry for the confusion.

Chris Hein

No the number you get is just for upgrade , all you do is put folders in with your Complete library then re batch no need for the serial number, i dropped the solo folder and ensemble folder in the Complete instruments folder , then re batched
I assumed because Exp. had all the new samples plus the old, I just deleted the old. Should I redownload the old instrument file, then place the new inside? I’m not as dense as I appear... this just confused me.

I assumed because Exp. had all the new samples plus the old, I just deleted the old. Should I redownload the old instrument file, then place the new inside? I’m not as dense as I appear... this just confused me.
i kept the old just dropped the 2 folders (solo and ensembles) in the instrument folder in Complete then rebatched , the new samples stay with the EX

Please complete replace the old folder.
The easiest way is to delete or re-name the old folder.
Open Kontakt, now it won't find the library anymore.
Re-direkt it to the new folder and everything is done.

Don't move folders around. Sone things are new which look the same and have the same name.

Chris Hein

I basically deleted the old folder and loaded the new and renamed it to what I called the old folder. Kontakt didn't even blink.

Enjoy.

I haven't made any official announcement about a free update.
It was a comment to a thread which I didn't start.

Mistakes happen and things change, but any comment made publicly about a product is an official announcement when it comes from the developer or an authorized representative. Something to keep in mind for future releases. :)

From everything I have learned from my rose gardened life...official announcements are subject to change. So this is the new official announcement. And nothing was "promised" for the record.

It is worth the tiny bit of money for update. So try not to sweat the small stuff. They gotta eat too.

The introductory price period for CH Complete Brass EX was the shortest I've seen. Had it in my cart on Thursday, today is gone to full price. So was it like a 3 days discount?

Does anyone know if Mr Hein does any sales apart from Black Friday (still very far away)??? I was waiting for the release of this library. I have CH Solo Strings and they are amazing

The introductory price period for CH Complete Brass EX was the shortest I've seen. Had it in my cart on Thursday, today is gone to full price. So was it like a 3 days discount?

Does anyone know if Mr Hein does any sales apart from Black Friday (still very far away)??? I was waiting for the release of this library. I have CH Solo Strings and they are amazing

I think it was pulled a day after it was announced. Too short for me too, though I'm still likely to get it at some point

Top Bottom