I need a new HD?

Discussion in 'PC/Mac Builders, Mods, Peripherals - New' started by Tod, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Tod

Tod Senior Member

I've been looking at this drive for $85, anybody have any experience with it?

Seagate BarraCuda Internal Hard Drive 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 256MB Cache 3.5-Inch

I also notice they have this 4TB for $90.

Seagate Barracuda Internal Hard Drive 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 256MB Cache 3.5-Inch

My old 2TB project drive is making a little noise so I need to get it replaced and in the few reviews I've read, the Seagate Barracuda was right at the top of the list.

Also any hints on the best way to transfer data from my old 2TB to the new one. I've been thinking about leaving my old 2TB in the computer until I get everything transferred, however I'm out of drive space so I'd have to take another 1TB drive out until I get all the data transferred.

I've also thought about getting a usb3 external hard drive adapter for the old 2TB drive, any thoughts on that?

Any comments would be appreciated.

2. synergy543

synergy543 Senior Member

Dec 11, 2004
    The Internets
    Its hard to give definitive advice but I've had quite a number of issues with the Seagate 3T drives (I must've gotten a few from a bad batch - I've had less problems with larger and smaller Seagates). I've had no issues with larger HGSTs although HGST's do make a bit more noise which is sort of "clicky". Mine are far enough away that they don't annoy me but its something to consider (still I prefer HGST due to their apparent robustness). Also, HGSTs seem to have a longer warranty. And some of the drives sold are as "refurbs" so be sure you read the fine print and know what you're actually getting (if they are factory refurb and under warranty they are probably worth a try, also buying from Amazon makes for easy returns if needed).

What I can say definitivey is the only safe practice is with redundancy and multiple backups. Seagate has some cheap USB drives with their Backup Plus Series which I've been using for local backups (I like these because they are "cheap" and afford me redundancy - but warning - they are SLOW so really only good for backup or archives). I have quite a number of these Backup Plus Drives and have yet to see one fail.

Best drives I have are USB3 SSDs both Samsung and Crucial (did have a few issues with some older ADATAs). They are fast and after several years, I have yet to have a Samsung or Crucial kick the bucket (but I have a stack of dead Seagate drives). As always, YMMV.

3. OP
    OP
    Tod

Tod Senior Member

Thanks Gregory, that's not good to hear about Seagate, were those older drives, I did read there were problems early on but were better now.

Noise really is an issue, the computer is sitting right in front of me in full view under the desk. Up until this HD started making a little noise I could hardly hear anything from my computer, it was very quiet.

This 2TB drive I'm replacing is my main project drive and it's more then 75% full. Altogether I've got 3 SSD drives along with the 2TB and a 1TB HD. Two of the SSDs are for OS systems, one is Windows 7, the other for Windows 10, I've got a duel boot system. The other SSD is 1TB and it's my sample drive.

I also have a 2TB USB2 backup drive as well as a 1TB SSD USB3 backup. Ha ha, I've also still got that old 150GB drive you gave me, and I can still hook it up with USB2, that's come in handy to get some of the older XP stuff. :)

I'm getting a little worried about this old 2TB drive wheich I've had for 4 years, I thought a 3TB or 4TB would be a good replacement.

4. synergy543

synergy543 Senior Member

Dec 11, 2004
    The Internets
    Just to stay away from the bad 3Ts (if there are any still out there), I'd get a larger model. For $15 extra, its cheap insurance.
    Seagate 4T - 2Yr Warranty

HGST 4T - 5Yr Warranty

Myself, I'd go with the HGST for the extra warranty. If the noise bothers you (I rarely hear it and my computer sits under my desk too), you'll know right away and can return it. Also, I should mention that my Seagate Backup Plus drives do make louder noises but the older Seagates were very quiet. All in all though, its the fans on external drive bays that are the loudest.

5. OP
    OP
    Tod

Tod Senior Member

Okay, I think you've convinced me Gregory, could you clarify the noise with the HGST a little more specifically. The problem for me is that my clients, as well has my daughter, sit or stand right beside me when they sing or do dialog, and even slight noises can be picked up.

6. kitekrazy

kitekrazy Senior Member

Dec 23, 2008
    I prefer WD Black or Gold. I love WD's RMA service. They send you a new drive and you send the faulty one back. Oddly enough I've never had a Segate fail during warranty. I had to RMA 2 WD Blacks. I prefer 2TB drives because I think they only use one platter.

7. synergy543

synergy543 Senior Member

Dec 11, 2004
    The Internets
    I just copied a few Gig to test, and I have to listen carefully. I can hear some very soft clicking as it transfers but I need to listen carefully. Normally, I wouldn't notice. However, I'm not recording in this room, so that could possibly an issue. I don't have any 7200 4T or 6T Seagates for comparison, but I don't ever recall hearing any of the 3T or smaller Seagates at all.

8. FrontierSoundFX

FrontierSoundFX Sound Designer & Audio Engineer

Jan 3, 2019
    Larger hard drive for sure. The amount of small drives have have laying around that are now obsolete is shameful.

9. dzilizzi

dzilizzi I know nothing

Feb 27, 2017
    Somewhere near Los Angeles
    I’ve actually had less issues with Seagates than WD drives. Though HGST drives are normally good. Just be very careful that you get a 7200 rpm one. Amazon lumps them all together and my recently purchased 7200 rpm Seagate turned out to be a 5400 one. Fortunately, they let me return it.

FrontierSoundFX likes this.
  10. FrontierSoundFX

FrontierSoundFX Sound Designer & Audio Engineer

Jan 3, 2019
    I like my glyph drive. It is external rather than internal, but 7200RPM and excellent cooling.

dzilizzi likes this.
  11. dzilizzi

dzilizzi I know nothing

Feb 27, 2017
    Somewhere near Los Angeles
    That is good if you are looking for an external drive. I never recommend any of the already built external drives for music, as they are usually 5400 or 5900 rpm drives. And it is the internal drives that all get lumped together.