What's new

I mocked up a bit Mozarts Figaro..

I often wonder why those of us who truly love music sometimes hear things a bit differently from each other. Perhpas it is because I have old ears. Please do not take my preference for VSL samples in this case as a criticism of your work Alexander. Your work is marvelous!
No I don´t know, maybe you are right and I am wrong. But would it be possible to get something out of VSL like that? With one library? You need imo a lot more libraries to pull of that sound. That is why I am a bit curious at that point. If somebody has VSL and can do that, please let me know.

Thank you Alexander for your detailled input, to keep it short: I need to come up with something better apparently! I'll fire the timpani player today btw, who the hell he think he is. :)
I'll let you know when a next version is presentable. Thanks again, enough material to reconsider.

I can't find the woodwinds mistake btw: do you mean m.8-m10? In all scores on ISMLP there is twice the oboe stacked with the horns. Maybe you're referring to another spot?

btw: I wasn't able to upload this track into Soundcloud becaused it matched with a copyrighted existing performance that I even wasn't aware of: "Marriage of Figaro, KV 492" by Anton Nanut. I found this later on Spotify.

Hi Erik,
Yes, the Oboes are still there. But the Flutes coming in and in your version they are almost eaten up by the Oboes. That´s in my opinon not very musical and the intention is, that they interact, so that when the Flutes come, the focus "moves" from Oboes to "Flutes" and this is regarding interpretation important and more interesting because you have a color change. It is maybe a nitpicking thing. I am very much into all this details and so I just mentioned that.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

I think most of you know that astonishing work of Mozart. Here is my attempt mocking up that piece with samples.

I am half way through and planning to do the complete track!

Suggestions and feedback is welcome. Hope you enjoy the Ride!

and a setting B with less roomsound:

amazing work! (your "Setting B" is my fav, btw)

I think this is your best classical mockup. You've done several but this one stands out among them all mainly because it feels lighter probably due to the choice of articulations and that's what it's all about.

I am finally through the whole piece. Took me 3 weeks (almost everyday work, besides sunday) and 20 workflow versions up to this:

great job, only thing that sticks out a bit to me is the sudden ff in the violins, sound slightly pungent and in your face... and maybe a tad too much reverberation. But I'm nitpicking...

Excellent work ! I'm truly speechless.
I wonder how you managed to render the tremolo violins so well in the last part. Is it OT Violins time machine patch ?

Thinking back 10 years ago how it was impossible to render such realistic mockups, I think we live in a golden age of sampling right now...

great job, only thing that sticks out a bit to me is the sudden ff in the violins, sound slightly pungent and in your face... and maybe a tad too much reverberation. But I'm nitpicking...

Rob, thank you for the observation. This little feedbacks are really great. Will check that later! Thank you :)

Excellent work ! I'm truly speechless.
I wonder how you managed to render the tremolo violins so well in the last part. Is it OT Violins time machine patch ?

Thinking back 10 years ago how it was impossible to render such realistic mockups, I think we live in a golden age of sampling right now...

Please name the exact spot because there is in this piece no generalisation routine..unfortunately..everything is total custom, so I often changed routines repeadily, sometimes within a few seconds..I used Tm Patches too..jsut to say.

So, I replaced the version with a bit less reverb and I tamed some stuff on the violins slightly and it has a bit more breath and air overall. It is nitpicky different...but there is a difference..:D

Last edited:
Hi Alexander,

as promised a new version. Replaced almost all VSL sections, except brass. I hope you'll like this one better!

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/mozart_lndf_-2-mp3.13649/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Attachments

• Mozart_LNdF_#2.mp3
    4.3 MB · Views: 43
Hi Alexander,

as promised a new version. Replaced almost all VSL sections, except brass. I hope you'll like this one better!

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/mozart_lndf_-2-mp3.13649/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Thank you for sharing your update, Erik. I will comment the following: Unfortunately there is still a lot to do in my opinion.I could copy paste my first statement from 2 pages before just here to let you know that either you didn´t apply my suggestions for that run or you did, but you managed not to get it right. Therefore I say it again: That run you did there lacks of dynamics, definition and slurred passing notes in the strings. Again: This run is pretty difficult to get it right. Therefore I give you a more insight into how I did it. you don´t need to follow that, but I want to help and show my procedure here:

HOW TO CREATE A RUN like in That FIGARO Track

I uploaded this here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ff2sdiveb1jgqk1/How to create a run like Mozarts Figaro Intro!.mp3?dl=0

1. Cellos and Doublebass playing in octaves the run. If you have a Cello / DB recorded patch in octaves available, use that because the blend of both instruments and weight in the room is hard to get right with single patches (though possible) but doesn´t sound that good. USE Velocities and / or the modwheel to inject a bit life and dynamics into the run. Don´t use a Legato Patch for that, use a short accented marcato or something with a scripted legato. Or even A short articulation patch with scripted legato.
2. Next Violins: Layer slurred run patches with a solo Violin, see this example. make them a bit uneven, RIDE Both single patches with different dynamics, don´t copy paste.
3. Layer annother additional Violin patch with more accents into it. This here is a mix of Shorts layered on top of legato!
4. The Violas are the GLUE from Cellos to Violins. Let them make the Slurred prominent Bee sound in the mid register. Use slurred run patches or loose spiccatos or something that sound close to that.
5. Yeah, that sounds shit alone but makes sense. Bassoon Shorts..but listen to No. 6
6. Mushy Legato Bassoon
7. Defined Legato Basson
8. ALL TOGETHER, I mean the Bassoons!
9. LEVEL RIGHT!! Bassoons + CELLOS / DB. Hear the blend? Thats the correct blend in dynamics,basoons are there, but not too loud.
10. Level Right!! Bassoon according to Violins / Vloas
11. All together.

I don´t want to disencourage you, but this is the process which is imo mandatory to pull of that run. You see there is a lot going on and I hope that helps you. Did you use this time a live reference for your update? YOU NEED TO PUT MUCH MORE WORK INTO THAT...TIME..WORK..Layering, USING DYNAMICS, listening to references...

Last edited:
Thanks again for your input here. I have listened with great interest. Did you use a midi from a notation program or did you play in all parts manually btw?

I'll need to expand my template anyway apparently...I'll keep you informed.

Thanks again for your input here. I have listened with great interest. Did you use a midi from a notation program or did you play in all parts manually btw?

I'll need to expand my template anyway apparently...I'll keep you informed.
No, performed everything and programmed the rest. I don´t use notation, never used it and I will not use notation software for that kind of performance related mockups.. (nothing against notation programmes). Do you used a notation programming to let speak the performance? That won´t bring you realism..forget about that..you have to perform and programm each line carefully.

A fantastic recording and interpretation. Although I'm not a fan of the Von Karajan-like orchestral sizes for classical music and baroque. Also the high speed is to my taste a little over the edge, but that discussion turns up from time to time and today it's again a hot topic. But as said, that's merely a matter of taste and doesn't say anything about the very good quality of the piece. I prefer the first version.
Jos

Quite an achievement and very realistic. I like the recording with less roomsound a lot better. In my opinion the speed is a bit exaggerated, but I do realize that nowadays many recordings perform at that pace... After all, it's your choice and preference that matters!

Well done,
Jos

Top Bottom