I have no idea what I'm doing

Discussion in 'INTRODUCE Yourself' started by sunetti, May 29, 2019.

1. sunetti

sunetti New Member

May 29, 2019
    Hello everyone!

As the title suggests, I have no idea what I'm doing. I am relatively new to the composing scene and made my first serious attempt in October (you can check it out here: )
    )
    Since then I haven't really done much except for playing around with newly purchased VIs.

The reason why I joined this forum is to learn from others and engage in discussions with other like-minded folk around here. Maybe down the line I will have a better understanding on what I'm actually doing!

I hope no one here bites. :emoji_older_woman:

Best regards,
    sunetti (the newbie).

2. Shiirai

Shiirai Resident Crow

Oct 11, 2018
    I do not so much bite as peck.

But really, does anybody truly know what they're doing? Or do we just throw things at a canvas and learn from what sticks and looks pretty?

Welcome to VI-C.

richardt4520, MartinH. and sunetti like this.
  3. FrontierSoundFX

FrontierSoundFX Sound Designer & Audio Engineer

Jan 3, 2019
    When it comes to my personal projects it seems I rarely “finish” them anyway. I can open it up months later and be interested in trying something different. Relaxing piece though. What gear are you using to put it together?

sunetti likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    sunetti

sunetti New Member

May 29, 2019
    @Shiirai As long as you warn me before you start pecking, that's fine. ;)

I like to think the latter. It's almost like contemporary art where anything and everything can be considered a masterpiece.

@FrontierSoundFX I'm the opposite. I usually ditch projects halfway through and never return to them!

Currently using FL Studio although my style probably suits Cubase more (the elicenser is such a turn-off though...). It's a decent DAW and serves me well.

I recently attended my first Spitfire wishlist sale so I have a bunch of products from them. Plus a few extra VIs here and there from Native. I also have the fabfilter range for my mixing and editing needs.

My current MIDI keyboard is an Akai MPK Mini Mk2 but I'm looking for an upgrade. I made a thread about it here: https://vi-control.net/community/th...r-a-good-all-round-49-61-midi-keyboard.82567/. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

5. Meetyhtan

Meetyhtan Noise Maker

Yeah, FL Gang ;) I don't see any need to get rid of that DAW in my case. In the end it's all about more or less different workflow, stock plugins and price. We all have to make our biggest purchases when it comes to libraries and plugins. Once your song is done, nobody will ever be able to tell what DAW you used... :P
    Even though I cannot tell you what you were doing, I liked the mood of your song quiet a lot!

MartinH. likes this.
  6. sIR dORT

sIR dORT Member

Oct 26, 2018
    My composing process has never been described so accurately. Anyway, welcome to the forum, I joined for the exact same reason as you and would also consider myself to have no idea what I'm doing. You'll find some gold here!

7. OP
    OP
    sunetti

sunetti New Member

May 29, 2019
    @Meetyhtan Exactly! When it comes down to it, the differences between DAWs are quite minuscule.

@sIR dORT We all have to start somewhere! I'm sure this forum will provide me with very useful information!

8. Parsifal666

Parsifal666 I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    Your topic title is like a magical mantra that can help you learn a ton. It's like opening a door to learning more than ever. Every time I find myself stuck and not able to learn something (for whatever reason) I'll adopt that model of (non) thinking so I can soak up as much knowledge, comprehend it as best I can, and then apply it.

As far as the video, there's so much for echo on there it's like listening to a full blown concert hall...from the next city over. It doesn't sound as though you don't know what your doing besides that imo, or I should say that rating the composition itself would be coloured too much by subjectivity.

Suffice it to say that the music sounds fine! Just needs to have the predelay liberally knocked down...geez, just knock down the whole reverb level until it at least sounds like we're in the auditorium and not at a different address altogether.

TigerTheFrog likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    sunetti

sunetti New Member

May 29, 2019
    @Parsifal666 Thank you for the constructive feedback! In hindsight I probably should have used some reverb that is a bit more... down to earth. :emoji_laughing: I still have a lot to learn so I really do appreciate your comment!

Parsifal666 likes this.
  10. D-Mott

D-Mott Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Mate, I rekon from listening to your song that it seems you are on the right track. I have no idea what I am doing either, at least for the last 10 years. The main thing is you finished something, so good job because it's hard work.

sunetti likes this.
  11. Parsifal666

Parsifal666 I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    You're doing good my friend, keep it up!

sunetti likes this.
  12. TimCox

TimCox Active Member

Oct 14, 2013
    Fixed.

sunetti likes this.
  13. ionian

ionian Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Queens, NY
    You'll be fine. Junkie XL built a successful career like this. :rofl:

sunetti and Parsifal666 like this.
  14. Denkii

Denkii Member

Mar 15, 2019
    From experience I can tell you that doesn't seem to work for everyone :crying:

sunetti and Parsifal666 like this.
  15. OP
    OP
    sunetti

sunetti New Member

May 29, 2019
    Thank you guys for the reassurance!! Good to know that none of us know what we're doing (or as @TimCox put it: we're all learning). ;)

TimCox and Parsifal666 like this.