I got rejected. Now what?

Discussion in 'Working in the Industry' started by Desire Inspires, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Desire Inspires

Desire Inspires To the stars through desire....

Jul 30, 2016
    Miami Beach
  2. studiostuff

studiostuff Active Member

Dec 15, 2015
  3. OP
    OP
    Desire Inspires

Jul 30, 2016
    Miami Beach
    No, my music got rejected. What will I do with it now? Advice?!?

4. studiostuff

Dec 15, 2015
    Oh... my bad. ;)

I was speaking metaphorically... Submit your work to others.

Was it a film score, or a library cue?

Can you please share a bit more about the nature of the assignment...???

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  5. nilblo

nilblo New Member

Jul 2, 2017
    Confront them and tell them in a low booming voice: "Take my work or great harm will come upon you.."
    (Sorry, couldn´t resist..)

William Palmer likes this.
  6. jmauz

jmauz Member

Drink a beer and move on. Put the track in your library; some day you'll find a need for it. I have dozens of tracks from commercial pitches that didn't go final. Lots of them have since been licensed for other things.

ptram, NoamL and studiostuff like this.
  7. InLight-Tone

InLight-Tone Senior Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Got rejected by whom, AudioJungle, Warner, a random lead or brief? You've been at this a LONG time, surely this is nothing new...?!?

8. Daryl

Daryl Senior Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Is the music any good?

9. OP
    OP
    Desire Inspires

Jul 30, 2016
    Miami Beach
    No, it isn’t new. But it still stings. I have got to get my stuff together. I shouldn’t be getting tracks rejected.

I sent in 5 and only 2 were accepted. That is not a good ratio. I have so much to learn.

10. robgb

robgb I was young once

Apr 6, 2016
    Rejection is part of any creative business. In the beginning, it happens more often than it doesn't. Just get back on the horse and ride.

D Halgren likes this.
  11. studiostuff

Dec 15, 2015
    Desire does inspire... and expecting more from ourselves is good.

But you do have a lot to learn if you can't celebrate 2 out of 5. If your fielding is worth a damn, that's a MLB career.

You asked for advice: Rub some dirt on it and get back in there...

TheSigillite likes this.
  12. Wolfie2112

Wolfie2112 Senior Member

I have had hundreds of tracks rejected over the years, I'm used to it (tv, theatre, film, commercials, libraries, etc). In this business, you NEED to develop a thick skin or it's going to take a toll on your esteem. Just because it gets rejected doesn't mean it's not good....it means that's not what they were looking for at that particular time. Even top composers have had their entire scores rejected for Hollywood films.

http://musicbehindthescreen.blogspot.com/2014/10/nothing-lasts-forever-top-14-rejected.html

13. NoamL

NoamL Winter <3

Jul 6, 2015
    Los Angeles
    It happens at every stage of the process Rob.

I think that should be on the Big Top Ten List of things they don't tell you about film music. The composer (and sometimes his assistants) will work crazy late hours sometimes. 3, 4, 5 AM. He (and they) will write anywhere from 125% to 400% as much music as ends up in the final product, but almost never less. He (and they) will get music rejected, including entire cues & entire creative directions.

I'm aware of one A List composer on a film in the last three years, who rewrote that film score twice because it wasn't clicking. That's a 300% rework ratio. He's a fantastic composer too, from what I heard it just wasn't a good film and they were expecting him to save it.

Karma and chillbot like this.
  14. Daryl

Daryl Senior Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Some Publishers have already decided to do that before they hear the music. Obviously I don't know which Publisher yours is, but it's extremely common not to take all of the tracks offered.

Personally I did have a library track rejected once, fought my corner, and it turned out to be the biggest earner on the album. I also pulled a track because I didn't agree with the changes being asked for.

These things are part of doing business. The way to deal with it is to take your composer's hat off as soon as you finish it, and put your company owner's one on. It's no longer your music. It's just some random music that the company "owns".

marclawsonmusic, Nite Sun and NoamL like this.
  15. R. Soul

R. Soul Senior Member

Jan 7, 2006
    London, UK
    The Beatles got rejected too :grin:

16. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    "It's not about winning. What it's about is not giving up. If you have a dream, fight for it. If there is a discipline, or passion, it's not how many times you get rejected or you fall down or are beaten up. It's about how many times you stand up and are brave and keep on going." - from Lady Gaga's Oscar speech

That seems trivial, but I can't imagine there's anyone who doesn't need to be told that over and over - at any age, no matter how successful or unsuccessful we are.

17. ionian

ionian Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Queens, NY
    That's rich coming from Lady Gaga considering her father pretty much bought her way into the industry.

18. rejected by who?

How's your theory? Playing skills? Improv? Arrangement? Production? Mixing? Ability to read and follow a brief?

If the answer to any of those is 'not perfect' - then carry on working on your stuff!

Obviously, you'll occasionally get stuff rejected which is actually fine. In which case, either state your case or take it elsewhere and prove them wrong :cool:

19. OP
    OP
    Desire Inspires

Jul 30, 2016
    Miami Beach
    Rejected by a music library. I pitched to a brief. I landed two cues out of five that I submitted.

I don’t know any theory and do not really submit to music that requires any high level or knowledge of orchestral sounds. I do Hip Hop, Pop, Dance, and the occasional Drone cue.

I am never, never, never going to be perfect. But I have to work with the skills I have thus far.

20. NoamL

NoamL Winter <3

Jul 6, 2015
    Los Angeles
    waaaait isn't that one of Sylvester Stallone's speeches from Rocky?

Karma and chillbot like this.