I feel as if something needs to break...

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by robgb, Jan 21, 2019.

1. robgb

robgb I was young once

Apr 6, 2016
    My interest in new sample libraries is waning fast because it seems to me that almost every developer is simply doing the same old, same old in pretty new packages. There are exceptions, of course, but for the most part it's just more string and brass libraries with the occasional woodwind thrown into the mix. And synth after synth after synth.

It seems to me that something special needs to happen to wash away the stench of redundancy in the sample world. A new innovation. Something that will really blow everyone's mind, whether that comes down to sound or playability.

I have no idea what it would be, but I feel as if something needs to break to get me interested again. Fingers crossed.

2. dpasdernick

dpasdernick Senior Member

Jan 18, 2010
    I think you’re looking for inspiration and not necessarily a piece of software. I suggest getting a trophy wife. You’ll be writing the best love sonnets ever. It will cost you more in the end but one must sacrifice for their art...

Inceptic, will_m, stonzthro and 12 others like this.
  3. Polkasound

Polkasound Senior Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI
    I know what you mean, but I think a lot of it has to do with the consumer market. There are countless film/game composers all over the world as well as EDM producers, both established and unknown. If you want to make money as a developer, whatever you do, don't create polka accordions. Create libraries that have been proven to sell: strings, brass, strings, orchestral percussion, strings, woodwinds, strings, synths, and strings.

A strange phenomena exists within the VI market: If there are 35 string libraries on the market, and you decide to create a 36th, your best customers are going to be the people who already own most of the other 35. This makes the demand for string libraries seems almost self-perpetuating. Likewise, EDM producers are always seeking new sounds and ideas, so the demand for soft synths begets their continual development and release.

N

brynolf, Dex, TheSigillite and 10 others like this.
  4. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    Its legato is non-existent. It's lacking in usable shorts. It has no sustains to speak of. And yet it is a legendary, even mind-blowing library. For anyone working with VI, it is the realization of all our fantasies about what a sample library should be.

5. kitekrazy

kitekrazy Senior Member

Dec 23, 2008
    We should be thankful someone does. With orchestra sounds it's like trying to reinvent the wheel. I feel it's the same with soft synths. I have so many of those. No matter who popular a newer synth like Serum, I'm not buying anymore until I learn them and sometimes when you buy a DAW like Reason or Live they add another one to the piie.

Polkasound and MartinH. like this.
  6. 667

667 Senior Member

May 20, 2011
    Check out stuff with more movement, SFA's Evos, OT's Time, these are super fun to play with.

SoNowWhat? likes this.
  7. kgdrum

kgdrum Senior Member

Apr 11, 2005
    I agree a piece of software is usually not the key for inspiration(a heretical statement here @
    VI-C)
    A love sonnet is not usually my cup of tea.
    So many great songs have been inspired by horrible relationships, heart break,betrayal.
    A trophy wife is great but inspiration for a great tune, it's not always the case........
    Look at all of the successful musicians that then get that trophy and then their music sucks! lol

8. leogardini

leogardini Senior Member

The good part of being a human is that we are never satisfied with anything. This eternal dissatisfaction is what moves us to do better next time.

In an era where we should be grateful for so many great products that can put us on the market without much training we get frustrated because there's no amazing innovation.

The innovations have already been done and there are more to come yet but we as users should demand and expect more from us as composers than from the market as providers.

9. AlexanderSchiborr

AlexanderSchiborr Senior Member

May 1, 2014
    I can understand that completely and honestly I often feel these days more like programming guy in order to move samples back and forth, drawing curves instead of actually performing a virtual instrument, but thats just me and I don´t say sample libraries are odd or fatiguing (in fact I am grateful to live in the times to have such technology at my fingertips). There are exceptions which I seek these days though sacrificing the tone but at least to be able to peform more so my idea is translated with more intention. Also I often go back to synths. I don´t know what will come some day, but one thing I know: I wont do that the next 10 years from now on because I dont want to end in a mental institution.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    mcalis likes this.
  10. muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Maybe you should put some time into playing a real acoustic instrument, that should help you forget the sample world for a little while, and focus on having fun, interacting with your creativity, and enjoy the physical experience of engaging with a real instrument.

I'm sure we will see some new, and amazing technologies coming our way in the near future. It's just a matter of time.

11. ProfoundSilence

ProfoundSilence Active Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Don't expect sound to suddenly have a breakthrough.

I mean literally - the best sound is the one everyone is used to, and everyone likes. Engineers for decades worked harder and harder to reduce harmonic distortion, transparent signal transfer - ect…

and then we took an entire 180 degree turn and are rapidly trying to put it through the right dirty preamps(which color the sound), using the right microphones(which color the sound as well), and run it through the right saturation(again for a certain amount of coloring of the sound).

I mean people put vinyl/tape plugins on their master bus to achieve the sound of xyz recordings from 30 years ago.

One of the most famous scoring stages is literally just a random warehouse - but after decades of film scores people loved, it's a coveted sound.

12. ProfoundSilence

ProfoundSilence Active Member

Dec 10, 2018
    XD

Polkasound likes this.
  13. Will Blackburn

Will Blackburn Active Member

Oct 28, 2012
    London
    I'd like to see devs focus on including better performance / Rhythmic scripts within their libraries. Sonuscore are setting the standard imo. Also Something like Omnisphere's groove lock where you can import your own midi to set the groove. Essentially would love to be able to create everything within the Kontakt library itself and drag and drop it out as sequenced midi like you can with many of the midi arp tools like Cthulu.

ScoreFace likes this.
  14. Hywel

Hywel Finally... an SSD for samples!

Aug 1, 2015
    UK
    Widespread and ultra-realistic physical modelling....?

robgb, DANIELE, jonnybutter and 2 others like this.
  15. SimonCharlesHanna

SimonCharlesHanna Senior Member

Feb 3, 2012
    being able to write a score out and send it off for a session musician was one of the most liberating things I have ever done.

@dariusofwest does it plenty too - might be the next step :)

LHall likes this.
  16. studiostuff

studiostuff Active Member

Dec 15, 2015
    My new band is going to be called "Stench of Redundancy" or "The Stench of Redundancy".

Either way, I'm expecting big things...

Is there a preference, one way or the other, in regard to "The" bands...?

PaulBrimstone likes this.
  17. dpasdernick

dpasdernick Senior Member

Jan 18, 2010
    If you have the right trophy wife you won't have time to write music...

18. PaulBrimstone

PaulBrimstone Far, Far Away

Nov 22, 2016
    Well, you could call yourselves The Definite Article...

studiostuff likes this.
  19. Mike Fox

Mike Fox Senior Member

Jul 8, 2016
    I feel quite privileged to be living during a time when the sample world is flooded with so many incredible libraries. The advancement of technology and recording techniques has really benefited all of us composers.

I remember it wasn't too long ago when the best thing out there was EWQLSO, and it cost around 3K. Even though there's some classic gems in that library, it's really been surpassed in almost every way possible.

I think we're just so used to quality samples now that we inherently want something better, and want to keep pushing boundaries, which is exactly why I see where you're coming from.

With that being said, advancements in sample libraries have been made, but the process is slow, so we may not notice it right away. Kinda like watching the hands move on a clock, ya know? But we really are moving forward!

I do think we will eventually experience a large evolutionary leap in sample libraries though, and I can't wait to see what it is!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    gregh, ChrisSiuMusic and whiskers like this.
  20. novaburst

novaburst Senior Member

Dec 21, 2015
    When you think about it the real instrument world is the same, some are satisfied with one guitar some have 10 guitars, some have different tones, different feel, help to create different mood, vibe some have one violin some have 15 I guess it depends on what type of person you are really.

Point is know one is saying I wish they would do something new with the guitar or the violins, because it's a tool they use for thier music creation.

When it comes to library's you kind of have the same situation the same type of library but different feel, different tones, and different playability, but they are all just a tool for your creation,

There is absolutely no easy way out you need to put a lot in to get satisfaction from making music, you really need to fall in love with music and what you are doing or it's pointless if you have gone cold these are the sort of threads that start popping up we start to blame the developers and that's not cool.

The library's that are around today are more than adequate for us to get creative just go over to the music area and listen to what members are doing listen to there work there are some pretty amazing stuff going on there and some is just demos and half completed stuff.

The problem is and will always be us and our attitude towards what we should be doing and our responsibility to the things we love.

Having music software library's does not make life easier you still need to learn, practice, study, listen listen listen listen to the type of music you want to do.

In some ways it is a greater challenge than real life instruments because you end up playing all the parts of all the instruments.

The developer's have done there job they have given us the tools over and above than what we need they are getting better great sales means you can go cheap and still create something premium.

I would encourage you what ever it is just get over it and get on with it