1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't own Kontakt. Am I just delaying the inevitable?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by mikefrommontreal, Aug 6, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    mikefrommontreal

mikefrommontreal Active Member

Jan 6, 2015
    The Costco comparison is simply that you pay upfront to get discounts on stuff later. Don't overthink it too much. :)

2. robgb

robgb I Have Strong Opinions

Apr 6, 2016
    In that case it makes no sense whatsoever... :)

jcrosby likes this.
  3. Desire Inspires

Desire Inspires Senior Member

Jul 30, 2016
    Miami Beach
    I say stick with Kontakt Player.

4. OP
    OP
    mikefrommontreal

Jan 6, 2015
    Not to you apparently.

5. robgb

robgb I Have Strong Opinions

Apr 6, 2016
    Apparently.

6. bigcat1969

bigcat1969 Senior Member

Nov 12, 2013
    In this analogy am I one of the people who is giving away the free samples of food and drink of questionable quality to Costco members?

mikefrommontreal likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    mikefrommontreal

Jan 6, 2015
    I dunno. Do you need the full version of Kontakt to access your instruments? If so, then yes. If not, then you're not even in the store. You're outside generously giving away your goods for free. Ok, that sounded wrong.

bigcat1969 likes this.
  8. MA-Simon

MA-Simon Senior Member

Jul 23, 2011
    At last with dedicated Kontakt stuff you know, that free download is probably Virus free.

9. bigcat1969

bigcat1969 Senior Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Well for my Kontakt stuff yeah you need the full version, but for the Maize VST stuff you don't need Kontakt so I dunno where I'm standing.

Yeah Konakt stuff I don't think could carry a virus, ED would know for sure since he is the script guru if you could script something like that into a Kontakt instrument. VST stuff is worrisome, even some of my Maize stuff has given people false positives on virus checkers and I know they are clean. Unless something is on say VST4Free I don't think I would run an installer for a freebie VST. It's a scary internet world.

10. OP
    OP
    mikefrommontreal

Jan 6, 2015
    I don't know. I've had problems going to VST4free. As in, just going on their site caused some additional tabs to open up with sketchy gambling ads, etc. Actually this only happened once, and it was probably like six years ago, so I don't want to disparage a potentially useful site. It was just my one time experience. But it was enough that I'm skeptical to not download anything that I'm not 99% sure of.

bigcat1969 likes this.
  11. bigcat1969

bigcat1969 Senior Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Sure I can understand that, I'm sorry that happened. I should note that they serve as an alternate host for some of my stuff so I'm not unbiased. I go there fairly often to see if anyone liked / hated anything (too much ego) or had problems and it has always been clean for me, so hopefully it was a one off deal.

12. GtrString

GtrString Senior Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Denmark
    I dont know, software is so cheap compared to quality instruments, that NI Komplete is basically a no-brainer for me. Do I use it all, no, but I make good use out of the things I do use. And as a platform for other libraries, Kontakt is second-to-none. Wait for a good 50% off, offer, they come by every year.

We pay to play, but so did we back in the arcades in the 80s.

bigcat1969 likes this.