What's new

I buy more than I use, and I forget those I buy

SBK

I never was like this, when I purchase a library I squeeze the life out of it everyday. But lately I seriously must have a problem, I buy often deals and I even forget the names of them and what I have! This is pathetic! Someone help! I can't keep up with! lol Is there a more scientific-psychological thing here? Or just plain stupid buying stuff on sale?

Last edited:
Which DAW do you use? Several have patch management aspects that are very useful. In Logic I can see exactly what I have on all my VIs (not just Native Instruments). You have to do most of the legwork, but if you do a little at a time, you'll get it all organized and won't forget what you've already purchased.

It's fear of missing out. I'm like that during sales periods.

In my head it's like, if I don't get this now at a dramatically reduced discount price, I will have to pay more for it in the future. In the mean time I am paying interest on top of my interest on my credit card, which defeats the purpose of trying to save money. I know it's wrong and financially irresponsible so I've seriously tried to tone it down. I was always good with money when I was younger, even with credit cards, but currently I'm a bit shit at it!

I really feel that the online lifestyle where we have everything at our finger tips is really changing our mind sets and behaviour patterns, for the worse.

Last edited:
Guilty too!
Maybe there will be a day when I discover everything that's on my hard drives. But I have good reason to doubt it.

I think meanwhile I have passed the zenith of getting new stuff. 20 sales mails a day are annoying instead of tempting. Some interesting things here and there but mainly everything is covered. Ten times.

Three things that should stop me from buying much more in the near future:

- my SSD is full
- my template too
- my bank account not
Three things that should stop me from buying much more in the near future:

- my SSD is full
- my template too
- my bank account not
To expand on the fine words of Meetyhtan, here are my Four things that should stop me from buying much more in the near future:
  • my SSD’s are full
  • my template is too large
  • my bank account is not
  • my mind is discombobulated
To make matters worse I’m known as the guy who does things for free.

But I’ll smoulder and burn till the end, writing and being absorbed in music, it’s my inevitable gift or some shit like that.

Last edited:
If you're serious and not joking, here's what I suggest:

1) Take a year off from buying new software

2) Unsubscribe from all marketing email

3) Frequent the forums here that are more about making music than buying products

4) Do a little soul searching to get to the bottom of why you feel compelled to buy more than you can keep track of

5) Enjoy the software you have: make music with it

We've all been there to one degree or another. It's far easier said than done, I know. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Best,

Geoff

Last edited:
I never was like this, when I purchase a library I squeeze the life out of it everyday. But lately I seriously must have a problem, I buy often deals and I even forget the names of them and what I have! This is pathetic! Someone help! I can't keep up with! lol Is there a more scientific-psychological thing here? Or just plain stupid buying stuff on sale?

Are you a fulltime composer or do you have a non-music day-job that lately is either taking up more of your time or makes you feel more exhausted than it used to?

Yeah.. like, while it's difficult I suppose, does one or two library purchases where after you use it you're like "I didn't need this" not kind of take care of it?.. That's what happened to me.. gonna pick up CSW when it's out..but really I'm pretty much done buying stuff..
Yeah, make music.. you have enough samples..

Top Bottom