What's new

I am an utter fool.

I've seen a hand full of people do that on other forums, and I always thought "get the fuck outa here with your stealth marketing". Those people never stuck around for long either.

You can look on reddit and other places if you see people actively looking for help.

But really I think the best way is to connect with people first and then look for the opportunities, instead of the other way around.

I guess you can't make everyone happy when you exercise your will to ask for help and offer it too; I can understand that.

Thanks for the advice. My challenge now may be how to better connect with the people I might prospect as wanting to help.

Alternatively the replies consist of comments like "Bro do me sum sick beats for free"

If you offer help as a composer, that's probably among the most common replies. :-/

I guess you can't make everyone happy when you exercise your will to ask for help and offer it too; I can understand that.

Thanks for the advice. My challenge now may be how to better connect with the people I might prospect as wanting to help.

I've gotten a couple collaboration offers just by being engaged in the gamedev community and occasionally demonstrating some of my skills in some way. I turned them all down because I don't believe in that kind of collaboration. I think "hiring freelancers", is the sane way for professionals to collaborate on such high-risk projects as games. If you're offering anything for free, without being very clear about what you are getting out of it, you seem suspect, because usually no one gives out quality work for free. You could try offering mentorships for an affordable price (maybe with a satisfied of money back guarantuee if you or others are too unsure about the value of your service) and guide fledgeling composers on their way up. Or you could try to offer "music-consulting" as a way to get a foot in the door for more composing work. If someone is paying, you can be 100% certain they want your help, and they don't have to question your motives for offering help in the first place. You could start with low commitment offers like a single track review and skype/zoom session to get to know each other, and apply all those standard marketing funnel techniques to get people lined up for a full 8-week mentorship course.

In the world of illustrators it's not too uncommon for people to turn mentoring and teaching into a proper business. These two come to my mind:

https://tyleredlinart.com/Services.html
Of course they are very present on youtube to build the reach for getting enough students to make that business work.

Top Bottom