What's new

I’m looking for new libraries for string and brass. Any suggestions?

HelpWithHissing

I’ve been using Cinematic Studio Strings for quite a while now, and Cinematic Studio Brass since earlier this year.

After heavily using these libraries recently, I’ve come to the realization that these libraries have several flaws, and one of them is the incessant hissing. I’ve tried using de-noise plugins and EQ. The only method that silences the hiss is a notch at 10k. But doing this makes it sound incredibly dark.

Cinematic Studio Brass has this same exact problem, but I’ll be keeping Cinematic Studio Woodwinds; CSW is great.

With that being said, I’m limiting myself to around $500-$600. I’m subscribed to the EW Composer Cloud, but I’m not a huge fan of the work required to get a good sound and the UI.

I’ve heard that BBC Symphony Orchestra has mostly good qualities, but the legato sounds weird.

I’ve also read that Albion One doesn’t allow for more particular orchestration.

I’ve looked into Audio Imperia’s Nucleus and I’m considering getting that.

Any thoughts? Thanks :)

First, a no brainer. Spend $35 with an 8Dio V8P voucher (or $45 if you’re not V8P) on some Century Brass Solo instruments (the Flugelhorn is very nice). Make sure to just exceed the $98 level of the gross amount (before discount) in your cart and receive the excellent Anthology string library as a free gift.

Other great picks:

- 8Dio Century Brass Ensemble (wait for a new freebie later this week) and again use 55% to 65% discount

- Spitfire Audio Chamber Strings (or BBCSO Core for instance): summer sale!

Then contact 8Dio support and ask them to out the OLD 1.6 version of the discontinued Adagio libraries in your account for a mere $8. This brings a ton of extra articulations.

You might wanna check out Brass and Strings from VSL’s Big Bang Orchestra, they are housing all available mics from spot to high surround, which are very helpful and easy to create the sounds you desire. Currently VSL has buy 2 get 1 free promotion and I think it’s quite a deal.

You might wanna check out Brass and Strings from VSL’s Big Bang Orchestra, they are housing all available mics from spot to high surround, which are very helpful and easy to create the sounds you desire. Currently VSL has buy 2 get 1 free promotion and I think it’s quite a deal.
Great suggestion. To the OP: these are all ensembles (tutti mostly - so aiming at a BIG sound) much like the Albion libraries. As much as I like them, they’re not a true alternative for your Cinematic Studio libraries (no sections, not as many articulations).

I don't consider the Cinematic Studio Series to be particularly hissy. Maybe you should post examples of this hiss issue first. You could easily drop a few 100 bucks on new libraries only to find that they have that same hiss as well.

Sure it's not part of the surface noise that bowing produces that you identify as "hiss"? Brass "bites" and "sizzles", that's just how it works. Might be you're actually hearing that.

After heavily using these libraries recently, I’ve come to the realization that these libraries have several flaws, and one of them is the incessant hissing. I’ve tried using de-noise plugins and EQ. The only method that silences the hiss is a notch at 10k. But doing this makes it sound incredibly dark.

Have you tried saturation? Either to smooth out the hiss or to replace notched out high-end with new highend generated from lower frequencies through saturating them? I don't actually know that this works but I wanted to eventually get CSS too and it would be good to know if that might be a workaround.

Edit: Maybe just posting an example clip where the hiss is clearly heard would be best, then myself and others can try out if/how it can be fixed.

I don't consider the Cinematic Studio Series to be particularly hissy. Maybe you should post examples of this hiss issue first. You could easily drop a few 100 bucks on new libraries only to find that they have that same hiss as well.

Sure it's not part of the surface noise that bowing produces that you identify as "hiss"? Brass "bites" and "sizzles", that's just how it works. Might be you're actually hearing that.
I made a post about this yesterday and I attached an example on that thread. https://vi-control.net/community/threads/im-having-a-problem-with-hiss-static.112866/#post-4884161

Akarin helped me by giving his advice of adding a notch at 10k.

But as far as I'm aware, it's not caused by bowing. The hissing does increase with the volume of the instruments; nonetheless, it's still there. The hissing I'm experiencing is almost completely nonexistent in reference tracks/professional mixes.

Have you tried saturation? Either to smooth out the hiss or to replace notched out high-end with new highend generated from lower frequencies through saturating them? I don't actually know that this works but I wanted to eventually get CSS too and it would be good to know if that might be a workaround.

Edit: Maybe just posting an example clip where the hiss is clearly heard would be best, then myself and others can try out if/how it can be fixed.
Haven't tried that. I'm pretty inexperienced with mixing, so how would I go about doing this?

I also made a post about this yesterday with an example attached :)

The later Spitfire libraries, like BBCSO and AROOF are incredibly well recorded and clean. At the current sale price BBCSO Core is a no-brainer!

I also think the two complete each other nicely. BBCSO provides a fantastic clean and cohesive foundation and CS gives some more extra detail and bite where needed.

Last edited:
I suggest the VSL is because if you don’t like the libraries , you can return them with full refund in 14 days. It’s hassle free.

Also, you are able to apply EQ and effects for individual mic position.

I made a post about this yesterday and I attached an example on that thread. https://vi-control.net/community/threads/im-having-a-problem-with-hiss-static.112866/#post-4884161

Akarin helped me by giving his advice of adding a notch at 10k.

But as far as I'm aware, it's not caused by bowing. The hissing does increase with the volume of the instruments; nonetheless, it's still there. The hissing I'm experiencing is almost completely nonexistent in reference tracks/professional mixes.
Oh, I see. Indeed I'm one of the folks who would say that the example actually sounds fine, haha. :grin: So I can't quite judge what it is that's bothering you - the stuff that usually comes out around 400-600 Hz (the "hhhhhh" stuff) or 8-10 kHz (the"ssssszzz" stuff).

In any case, I would also suggest looking into Synchron Strings Pro, or one of the string sections from the Big Bang Orchestra, since they're derived from the former. They're very good libraries and you can return them if they don't do it for you.

First, a no brainer. Spend $35 with an 8Dio V8P voucher (or $45 if you’re not V8P) on some Century Brass Solo instruments (the Flugelhorn is very nice). Make sure to just exceed the $98 level of the gross amount (before discount) in your cart and receive the excellent Anthology string library as a free gift.

Other great picks:

- 8Dio Century Brass Ensemble (wait for a new freebie later this week) and again use 55% to 65% discount

- Spitfire Audio Chamber Strings (or BBCSO Core for instance): summer sale!
Thanks for the suggestions! Could Spitfire's Chamber Strings be used in a way to create that big orchestral 35 player sound? Or is it meant to be used in the context of smaller orchestration?

Or is it meant to be used in the context of smaller orchestration?
Very much this. But somehow I always associate CSS with a slightly darker “almost chamber sound” rather than full-on orchestral. But I guess you can tell I’m one of the very few forum members who doesn’t use it. (I do have CSW, which is a good package).

Top Bottom