1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HZ Strings First Look VIDEO - Full Live Stream (w/chatroom)

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Daniel James, Mar 29, 2018.

1. blougui

blougui Senior Member

Nov 1, 2013
    What for ?
    Haven't you watched last Mr Henson vlog ?
    Saying he would have rather stayed in bed than attending his record session in Abbey Road ?

The emotion, the hubris, the drama, the helter-skelter of a life time is not in the music anymore, it's right here,right now, on VI.C, reading Mr Zimmer and Mr James politely arguing from their respective GQ while us, in the trenches, listen to shots passing by, a rat biting our guts from inside,desperate to see the light of day, waiting for our turn to jump in the midst of the muddled battleground, our wallet empty of all but the last image of our beloved.

It's not about music anymore, Christof. It will never be - not before next SA launch or M.Patty tweet.

2. jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

Yeah he's outrageous. I actually saw him supporting Herbie Hancock and a jazz trio called the Acoustic Triangle (they did some cool stuff performing completely unmic'ed - blowing Trumpet through the Grand Piano Strings for reverberation etc) at the Poole Lighthouse UK around 2004. It was an amazing evening as they all jammed with each other eventually. He started talking to the crowd with his Keyboards and Vocoders (and I had never experienced something like that with Electronic music before - I was instantly hooked). Badasses.

3. DarkestShadow

DarkestShadow Senior Member

where is Thomas Bergersen :crying::crying::crying:

4. blougui

blougui Senior Member

Nov 1, 2013
    Thanxfully he cited ABBA.
    They were awsomely talented.It was not before 1989 that I began to love their tunes and appreciate the sheer talent of songwritting and interwoven singing but they've not left my pantheon since then.

jrgillam likes this.
  5. Consona

Consona Senior Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Yea, many of us can only wish they had the ABBA brain for melodies.

jononotbono likes this.
  6. jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

Oh definitely.

7. blougui

blougui Senior Member

Nov 1, 2013
    But with the voices.
    Ulvaeus brain and the voices.

jononotbono likes this.
  8. KEM

KEM Senior Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Where's Underøath? Needs more Underøath...

9. Jose Antonini

Jose Antonini New Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Argentina
    I'm probably late to this debate but if someone asked me what I would've liked from the "Hans Zimmer Strings" library I would have sent them this:

The complete range.
    I do understand the limitations of samples, this is wishfull thinking.

BTW @Rctec if at any time the "Hans Zimmer Interestellar Fucking Organ Library" ever comes out, count me in.

Daniel James likes this.
  10. josephwmorgan

josephwmorgan Member

Mar 11, 2017
    Don't think this is the exact one but is prettyyyy close

11. ranaprathap

ranaprathap Senior Member

Sep 27, 2016
    I don't think there is one "Hans Zimmer sound". He has managed to continuously innovate and vary his sound over the course of his career, all within the confines of film music. That is something I really love about his work. When I watched Kung Fu Panda 3 in theatres, I was really surprised to find that the music was Hans when the credits rolled out.

However, I do not blame people for expecting that by buying Hans Zimmer strings, they will be able to do the ostinatos in The Dark Knight ;) However, if that was not the purpose of the library then the real question is what is the difference between a regular Spitfire Strings library with 344 players and plenty of mic positions, and a Hans Zimmer Strings library. What is it about the library that brings in the HZ branding?

You can't blame HZ or Spitfire for people having wrong expectations. And you can't blame people for having wrong expectations from HZStrings. DJ has the freedom to suggest that they should have sampled all loud stuff. It was such an obvious thing they must have thought of, considering that there were 344 players. But they chose not to. Spitfire has the freedom to choose not to do that. I am sure they had their reasons. So I think there's nobody to blame. Let's all peace out from here!

Hans Zimmer strings or just regular strings, the library should be able to stand on its own in terms of quality. Not having loud stuff is forgivable. Having trivial bugs isn't. I hope they fix it soon. But to me from the demos, it sounded amazing. The violas patch sounded like silk. Wow.

DarkestShadow likes this.
  12. ranaprathap

ranaprathap Senior Member

Sep 27, 2016
    You should be careful with that. DJ has some offer you may not want to pass.

13. jrgillam

jrgillam Jeremy Gillam

I've had some interesting conversations with media composer friends about how we could really learn something from the great pop songwriters — that ability to create something that's instantly recognizable and memorable, simple yet still interesting is so applicable to film and TV. And nobody does it better than the Swedes. I was listening to some old Max Martin-penned Backstreet Boys songs this morning and and appreciating the awesome end-chorus counterpoint...

Tomas Simon likes this.
  14. givemenoughrope

givemenoughrope Senior Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Right. Ok..This is a key point. You have to learn these libraries.

There is a bit of a disconnect for me between the specs, the walkthrough and the demos on the Spitfire page for HZ Strings. I can KIND OF hear how the walkthrough would yield these demos. It certainly doesn't make me feel like there are well over 100 strings playing. That leads me to believe that this is definitely a library (like the best libraries) that takes a lot of elbow grease but also rewards shaping notes and the finer touches of programming/mixing. And that would be the case with most libraries...However, some recent ones from Spitfire and 8dio have this sort of baked-in, one-shot mini performances thing going on. Dynamic patches, waves, EVOs, etc. Sus patches that don't sit there statically. It has come to be expected. I love these but they are what they are; useful and sound great but limited (so you just buy more of them). When you combine that with the idea of an ensemble library (I realize that this is NOT an ensemble library) or a library with non-standard section sizes I can see Daniel's point of view in wanting this library to sound great and cohesive and also somewhat instantly and at least generally sound like his notion of "brand Hans Zimmer" out of the box.

When I see "Hans Zimmer Strings" for sale, instantly my brain says, "No. Pass," even if HZ Strings could sound like a bunch of different things. I saw 300+ players and thought, "Nope. No chance." When I heard the demos I almost clicked buy right then and there which never happens. I'll still hold off only bc I'm still learning a few libraries and how to combine them with my awful cello playing (thank god for Cubase and SPAT) but it really want to get back to libraries that reward the elbow grease and this sounds like one for sure.

Listen to the middle section of Andy Blaney's demo. It doesn't sound like no 300 strings to me... sounds great! The spec and the "brand" be damned. The sound is what counts.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  15. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    Seems to work just fine for Cockos (Reaper). But yeah, definitely helps to be well off before actually starting the company. :P

yhomas and Sibelius19 like this.
  16. Jon K

Jon K Member

Feb 22, 2016
    New to this discussion but I agree with Daniel entirely its an excellent sounding niche library and if it was marketed as HZ edge of silence strings or whatever that would make perfect sense, then you could come out with an over the top HZ power string library and everything in between, but don't think this captures a wide enough array of sounds to be titled something so broad as HZ Strings unless that wasn't the intention, I dunno...

17. tehreal

tehreal Senior Member

Sep 6, 2017
    I thought he used Hauptwerk.

18. prodigalson

prodigalson Senior Member

Nov 14, 2013
    No.gif

yhomas likes this.
  19. Jon K

Jon K Member

Feb 22, 2016