HZ Rainman Mockup / Production process

Meo96

Hi everybody,

For a project I am working on I have to do a Rainman Hans Zimmer type track (Leaving Wallbrook On the Road). In order to do it I figured I'd make a mock up first to understand and master the production quality, and then I compose something different over it.

I always found this track fascinating and the way it is produced is so cool.

My synth knowledge is very thin and I'm struggling trying to reproduce some sounds. I think if I can get any clues from you guys (that are probably well more competent in this area) it would help me so much and put me in the right direction.

I have bounce what I did the other day : I just played and put on the grid all the notes I heard. I also tried to start percs and other stuff.

What I think I will be fine with :

- Everything that is flutes I'm sure I will be able to recreate something similar. The M1 pan flute works pretty well for the big part and some Omnisphere patches will minor changes work for the firsts parts.
- Little parts like the didgeridoo, guitar, basses

Where I could use some advises :

- I'm struggling to recreate the synth that plays the rhythmic accompaniment (00:12)
I find its subtility to be in the way it is short and rhythmic but at the time has some sustain. Maybe it's a combination of a synth with a guitar like sound patch. I don't really know. For now I just loaded 20 patch from my M1, D-50 and Omnisphere and I layered it with a patch from The Prophet..... But I'm no quiet close to the sound he did.
If I figured this sound right it would be a major advancement comparing to where I am right now.

- Congas and percs :

Pretty sure there are congas in there. I managed to put some similar on the grid in the beginning. But when the melody starts to comes in,
it seems to me that the percs are pitched and play a role in the harmonic of the track. I don't even know if and how you pitch congas.
There is also mallets that play accompaniment part and they merge in some way with the congas. Or maybe the congas and mallets play the same notes and this is how the percs are pitched ? Just before the big flute comes in (0:40) you could hear the perc/mallet playing louder and I don't make the difference between the instruments here.
I'm embarrassed for my lack of knowledge so any expertise would be very very welcome.

Side notes :

- The big flute/pad the plays the first times at 0:01 (with a delay) I didn't find a way to do it yet.

- I read somewhere that Zimmer used a Fairlight to make most of the sounds in the score. But to me it sounds also very much like a Korg M1 or even a D50 type of sound. What do you think about that ?

Thanks in advance for any help/hints :)

Cheers

Attachments

jonathanparham

Side notes :

- The big flute/pad the plays the first times at 0:01 (with a delay) I didn't find a way to do it yet.

- I read somewhere that Zimmer used a Fairlight to make most of the sounds in the score. But to me it sounds also very much like a Korg M1 or even a D50 type of sound. What do you think about that ?

Thanks in advance for any help/hints :)

Cheers
Enjoyed listening to the mockup. The piece brought back memories of the film and that '80s synth sound.
I remember the Korg M1 buttons that were rounded and I think lit up.

Here on VI Control back in 2013, Zimmer talks about having the Fairlight. Can't tell if that was before coming to LA and doing Rainman