What's new

Hyperion Strings Elements Legato

AndyP

Today I've been testing the Hyperion Strings Elements for some time and I'm having a hard time with the sound.
Especially the legato patches have a behavior that irritates me very much. Slow legatos are playable, but faster legatos don't cut the tone of the previous notes fast enough.

I have used it as a test for layering, but it has washed out the contour of the other patch.
Then listened to them individually and noticed the very long overlaps of the notes.

When I play 6 notes in quick succession, I can hear all the notes played quietly in the background. Like an accord.
Shortening the release phase and reducing the release volume doesn't change anything. Very long sustain. The effect occurs especially
when using a longer reverb. I have a 5 second reverb in the inserts. In all other legato patches of my other libraries this effect does not occur.
I can't get this synth-like sound out.

Is there a setting to change that? Have others already noticed this effect? Or are the Hyperion legatos only usable for very slow playing?

Craig Peters

Today I've been testing the Hyperion Strings Elements for some time and I'm having a hard time with the sound.
Especially the legato patches have a behavior that irritates me very much. Slow legatos are playable, but faster legatos don't cut the tone of the previous notes fast enough.

I have used it as a test for layering, but it has washed out the contour of the other patch.
Then listened to them individually and noticed the very long overlaps of the notes.

When I play 6 notes in quick succession, I can hear all the notes played quietly in the background. Like an accord.
Shortening the release phase and reducing the release volume doesn't change anything. Very long sustain. The effect occurs especially
when using a longer reverb. I have a 5 second reverb in the inserts. In all other legato patches of my other libraries this effect does not occur.
I can't get this synth-like sound out.

Is there a setting to change that? Have others already noticed this effect? Or are the Hyperion legatos only usable for very slow playing?
Hi Andy,

The default setting for the legato patches we found to be the best out-of-the-box settings for slow or fast playing. I like these settings as it gives faster runs that slight blurry effect. If you want it to be at it's fastest possible, then just crank the top response slider by dragging it all the way to the right.

These can be set to best fit your playing style.

Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 10.49.05 AM.png

Make sure to check out the True Legato tutorial on our Youtube channel as well

I hope you find this helpful!

OP
AndyP

AndyP

Hi Craig,

i will try this!

I gradually find some very nice sounds with this library. Not for every purpose, but no library can claim that for itself.

Thank you for your answer! What I really like about this forum is that the creators also support it here. :thumbsup:

Craig Peters

You're welcome!

Of course! It's all about using the tools to get the sounds you hear in your head realized. One of the most important parts about any library, plugin or tool is to have the best grasp of the controls and functionality. Then utilize that and your imagination to take it even further!

OP
AndyP

AndyP

Unfortunately, no matter which setting I choose, the release is too long when playing fast legatos.
Maybe you don't hear it anymore when several instruments play at the same time, but solo the overlap beyond the end of the notes is very clearly audible. I can't get rid of it.
But this is not a drama, because I use other strings for fast legatos or runs.
I found a good attitude for staccatos. They are useful for layering.
The effect only occurs with legato patches, no matter which variant I choose.

But as mentioned, that's not a problem I have to solve.

Top Bottom