What's new

HW Opus Orchestrator - Walk Through Video

As much as i disliked their initial trailer, this looks very practical and the examples sound great. The only problem is see is needing almost 1tb to store it. I have BBCSO Pro and i use only Core. I hope Gold will be a lot smaller than Diamond.

From their FAQ:

"Hollywood Orchestra Opus Edition Diamond is approximately 944GB in size which includes both the original and new content. Hollywood Orchestra Opus Edition Gold is approximately 242GB in size."

Now this is weird. Gold used to be 100GB, why would the new content (which is only violins 1, some brass and a woodwind ensemble) more than double the storage requirement?

Unless this is referring to the subscription only version of Gold that also comes with the close mics, so 2 mic positions instead of one. In that case, I'd imagine the non-subscription Gold is around 120-130GB

With thousands of subscribers who know basic chord sequences, this stuff is going to get old very quickly, just like the original Stylus loops did. But if it saves time and time is money then rake it in by all means. Just remember that AI can do this non-creative easy stuff too and it will definitely be coming for people's jobs.

I have TOC2, which also comes with a bunch of presets. I wouldn't ever use them for an actual piece. Not because they are bad, but it's for the reason of originality. Like you said, I don't want to sound like everyone else.

I've still found enormous value in TOC though. Maybe experienced orchestrators don't need this stuff. I'm not the kind of person who can easily imagine what a chord sequence will sound like when played tutti with polyrythyms, syncopation, etc. This kind of software (orchestrator, TOC, divisi mate) allows me to audition a chord sequence as more than just a bunch of block chords. I can hear what it may sound like when it's in full swing, try things out quickly to figure out how to balance a chord and the sections against each other, doublings etc. Otherwise I would be spending an awful lot of time inputting a ton of stuff manually just to find out that, no, that particular orchestration doesn't work well after all. Once I have a sense of what works and what doesn't, writing my own orchestration becomes a lot less guess work.

I have TOC2, which also comes with a bunch of presets. I wouldn't ever use them for an actual piece. Not because they are bad, but it's for the reason of originality. Like you said, I don't want to sound like everyone else.

I've still found enormous value in TOC though. Maybe experienced orchestrators don't need this stuff. I'm not the kind of person who can easily imagine what a chord sequence will sound like when played tutti with polyrythyms, syncopation, etc. This kind of software (orchestrator, TOC, divisi mate) allows me to audition a chord sequence as more than just a bunch of block chords. I can hear what it may sound like when it's in full swing, try things out quickly to figure out how to balance a chord and the sections against each other, doublings etc. Otherwise I would be spending an awful lot of time inputting a ton of stuff manually just to find out that, no, that particular orchestration doesn't work well after all. Once I have a sense of what works and what doesn't, writing my own orchestration becomes a lot less guess work.
This is precisely the thing I like about The Orchestra and would like about The Orchestrator had it been within my budget. It's an inspiration tool to me first and foremost

I asked Support how MIDI Export works. As in, is it a drag-and-drop to DAW? A true export (creating a MIDI file)? Something else?

The response was that they'll need to test it. They are kindly keeping my ticket open until that occurs.

Two day to go, and they need to test it. Nice.
It makes me wonder who managed to have a chance to test it for bugs. With such a huge, flagship release, you'd think that Support folk would have had more access.

I don't care how many Wolfgangs they have. It would be incredibly poor practice to keep this in a silo until release day. Not just for bugs, but what will be the support experience be for users if Support staff is learning the product the same week that the first users are? Imagine the strain and stress that Support staff must feel in all of this.

It's hardly acceptable, unless it's quite specifically an "early adopter" period. And that doesn't seem to be how they're marketing it.

Don't get me wrong - I still think that the engine in TOC is great, but it appears that Sonuscore took what they learned with TOC and added some really nice new features that give some extra flexibility and playability in Orchestrator. The example of building a preset around the 12:00 mark in the intro video gives a nice example of this, demonstrating moving the Celli from playing the Lowest note in a chord (along with the Basses) up to the Middle 2 notes to make it the lead legato string instrument in a preset.

I also found the example of building a midi pattern in Orchestrator a bit more predictable than how things work in TOC, but that could just be how the interface presents it and how the individual sections respond.
Yes, it does look somewhat easier in the Orchestrator. Who knows, maybe Sonuscore will port some of the things they learned from working on the Orchestrator back to TOC?!? :)

Imho, looks fun. I am a piano player, so sometimes I just end up opening a library and then playing for a few hours while watching netflix or something.

So these instant orchestrations are kinda cool just for the ease of loading them up and having a go. I would probably not use a lot to make music, because I would need xx number of instances. But for a fun play-along session while watching a movie, it looks perfect.

Would be cool to have something like this as a plugin that can also load vst and Kontakt instruments.

Top Bottom