What's new

Huge Woodwind Ensembles?

Bluemount Score

We have seen stuff like 60 chellos ensembles and huge numbers of french horns playing at once, more than just one time.
Why aren‘t there any (or barely any) huge woodwinds ensemble recordings? 30 flutes at once? Wouldn‘t that give a very intersting texture? Is there something out there, which I‘m not aware of, or is it simply due to the fact that woodwinds aren‘t so trendy these days?

It's not a sound you'd like to hear.

Said that, of course it's possible to write interesting stuff for e.g. 10 flutes as long as they are not playing in unisono.

(p.s. and please write "Cello". "Chello" was an internet provider... ;)

it'd sound bloody awful.
So somebody must have tried it, at least. What you notice is that woodwind ensembles in traditional orchestral setups are small by default, if not soloists. And I must admit that I prefer the sound of soloists over a3 ensembles in most cases.

So somebody must have tried it, at least. What you notice is that woodwind ensembles in traditional orchestral setups are small by default, if not soloists. And I must admit that I prefer the sound of soloists over a3 ensembles in most cases.

Personally, i really like the sound of 3 oboes whereas i usually don't like the oboe...

p.s. just checked it, CSS have spelled Cello right, but i remember a german sample developer (or a company that sold samples) who wrote it wrong.
In cases where i'm unsure, i just type it into wikipedia.
While wikipedia isn't always the best choice to get information, it's absolutely perfect for sports results and instruments' names.

Personally, i really like the sound of 3 oboes whereas i usually don't like the oboe...

p.s. just checked it, CSS have spelled Cello right, but i remember a german sample developer (or a company that sold samples) who wrote it wrong.
In cases where i'm unsure, i just type it into wikipedia.
While wikipedia isn't always the best choice to get information, it's absolutely perfect for sports results and instruments' names.
I love the oboe :)
And I could swear, last time I loaded CSS into my template it said Chello instead of Cello. But well, you learn something new everyday...

EDIT: Checked for myself. It says Cello. I'm blind.

@ed buller : yes, that was the score that ended a creative friendship.
I didn't know there was a recording of that rejected score.

But in fact, multiple flutes are cool.
The arrangements of Claus Ogerman often use up to 5 flutes...

@Bluemount Score : it's possible that CCS got it wrong in their instruments. Soon i will see.
(since CSS is on my BF list) :)

NI Symphony Series has a6 sections

bigwood.png
And there I am, owning this product for months, not knowing about this.
Still, a6 seems kinda unusual (and I really don't like the sharp edgy sound of NISS Woodwinds, just compared it to my new favorite BBCSO), but by far not anything I would consider a huge ensemble :)

this was one player ( the wonderful Simon Clark of the Kick Horns ) multi tracked about 24 times..( tape those days ! ). 12 at normal speed 12 at half speed. I really felt that there where diminishing returns after a while to the no of tracks TBH.

best

ed

Top Bottom