What's new

HP Z600 Dual Hex Core as Slave

garyhiebner

Has anyone used a HP z600 Dual Hex Core as a slave. I can get a Z600 Dual Hex-Core X5660 and 48GB of RAM for $300. Which seems pretty good.

But I remember guys saying Xeon processors aren't as good as Intel and AMD chips when working with distributing the load across cores. This true? Interested to know how this unit will work as a slave. I already have SSDs to stream the samples from, so more interested in how it will handle.

Currently Im using an iMac 13,2 i5 model with 32GB RAM as my main unit, so it will already be an improvement, and then I can house quite a few of my instruments on the slave to free the load on my iMac

Sami

The Undisclosing
Has anyone used a HP z600 Dual Hex Core as a slave. I can get a Z600 Dual Hex-Core X5660 and 48GB of RAM for $300. Which seems pretty good.

But I remember guys saying Xeon processors aren't as good as Intel and AMD chips when working with distributing the load across cores. This true? Interested to know how this unit will work as a slave. I already have SSDs to stream the samples from, so more interested in how it will handle.

Currently Im using an iMac 13,2 i5 model with 32GB RAM as my main unit, so it will already be an improvement, and then I can house quite a few of my instruments on the slave to free the load on my iMac
You would see behaviour similar to a Mac Pro 4,1 with this system. The scheduler being inefficient and slow is one issue, VEPro another issue. Latency is probably pretty enormous on this platform but if you can live with it, the efficiency of VEPro in distributing the load might mean high polyphony, however. Depends a bit on what you need. Usually, you get what you pay for and the X5660 is truly ancient by today's standards. For me it would be very questionable regarding reliability and power consumption

Top Bottom