What's new

How's your life affected by Covid-19?

I agree. I've never blocked anyone on an internet forum, ever. What I've never understood is why this would be necessary when it is so incredibly easy to simply skip over what you do not wish to read. If you were bothering me by ringing my doorbell, calling on the phone with voice mails or texts, then yeah, those things disrupt my day and I would have to stop and deal with them....

...But an internet post is entirely unintrusive unless you choose to engage it.
I blocked someone once. I don't remember what they posted. They started a thread & I read the post and was trying very hard not to say something to the effect of "You are an idiot!" Because everyone is entitled to an opinion. Since it was always at the top of the new posts list for a short time, it was easier to block than to keep stopping myself.

Once the thread moved off the first page? I unblocked this person. Turned out they weren't an active poster, so I didn't miss much. But maybe being able to block a thread that makes one want to start a lot of drama might be a good thing to have. Everyone has things that set them off. You know, like lack of legato. Or using VST instead of VI.

For all the craziness the China virus is causing, it seems to be pretty calm here. I've self isolated for three weeks. Work is slower but thankfully hasn't stopped. I picked up a 7 week composing job for a film in August about two days ago and I booked some gigs for July yesterday. I'm behind on some other projects so I've been using this time to catch up and also rearrange the studio.

So far, not too bad. And I'm in NYC where it's supposed to be the worst. It's kind of hit or miss - I have a friend who works in one hospital in Manhasset, Long Island who said its nuts and I have another friend who works in two hospitals in Long Island, one in Nassau and one in Suffolk and she said both of them are empty. It really is kinda off balance here. They were talking about trying to even that out and take some of the patients at the hospitals that are overloaded in the boroughs and move the patients to the hospitals that are pretty empty out in long island.

Of course the media is trying to spin everything as the world ending but then again there's a reason that journalists rank just below medieval prostitutes with syphilis on the list of people you respect. If they're not causing a panic, they're not happy. Besides, considering how badly journalists have been outed for lying the past 7-8 years at least, they're barely getting web views anymore so this whole virus is a good way to work up a frenzy and trying to score web clicks. Most media outlets - this is probably the most clicks they've gotten in years.

I needed a break anyway so I've been using the time resourcefully. Still doesn't stop the fact that the CCP fucked, and continues to fuck the world with this whole mess with their nonstop lying.

Last edited:
For all the craziness the China virus is causing, it seems to be pretty calm here. I've self isolated for three weeks. Work is slower but thankfully hasn't stopped. I picked up a 7 week composing job for a film in August about two days ago and I booked some gigs for July yesterday. I'm behind on some other projects so I've been using this time to catch up and also rearrange the studio.

So far, not too bad. And I'm in NYC where it's supposed to be the worst. It's kind of hit or miss - I have a friend who works in one hospital in Manhasset, Long Island who said its nuts and I have another friend who works in two hospitals in Long Island, one in Nassau and one in Suffolk and she said both of them are empty. It really is kinda off balance here. They were talking about trying to even that out and take some of the patients at the hospitals that are overloaded in the boroughs and move the patients to the hospitals that are pretty empty out in long island.

Of course the media is trying to spin everything as the world ending but then again there's a reason that journalists rank just below medieval prostitutes with syphilis on the list of people you respect. If they're not causing a panic, they're not happy. Besides, considering how badly journalists have been outed for lying the past 7-8 years at least, they're barely getting web views anymore so this whole virus is a good way to work up a frenzy and trying to score web clicks. Most media outlets - this is probably the most clicks they've gotten in years.

I needed a break anyway so I've been using the time resourcefully. Still doesn't stop the fact that the CCP fucked, and continues to fuck the world with this whole mess with their nonstop lying.

yes, the 24 hour new cycle gets very boring when there isn't a lot of news. so when there is actually a thing everyone wants to be informed , it gets crazy with a lot of opinions, a lot of maybes and no complete journalism. they have web pages to fill so ads can be added.
and in socia media its a lot of "deceiving headlines" for click bait and a LOT of comments about just the click bait article and NO one reads the article. that one from trump saying the US will not be paying harry and Megan security... and everyone commented about how its all GREAT and talking shit about harry/Megan and they should be pay their own thing blah blah when they never asked for security.
he just trolled the news and knows people will do exactly this. same as he did with Hillary emails and everything he's said to con his way to being elected. but that's just more about us, though.
so now when there is something we actually care about its all about making you worry. crazy headlines so you click on the article with a very worrisome image. reporters and news host with their crisis faces and getting people to worry more. the virus lives in hard surfaces for days but don't mention how contagious it is after a few hours. which is low. specially after washing your hands. so now we think there is an invisible virus attacking from everywhere.
I just read about the naval hospital in NYC that doesn't accept covid Patients and its only has 20 patients and some hospital head doctor saying its useless. and now I read your info.
so its really hard to take any news as full fact.

Most people that block and especially if they want everyone to know they are blocking....are doing it as a form of insult. why people feel they need to insult other people they don't agree with is another matter.

It’s part of the “I’m offended crowd“ that claims they block you, but it’s really a fake ignore. More of a protest statement, part of group think that fake news teaches it’s subordinates.

Example.
I called a few people here members of a group think effort. Naturally they were outraged, said I was a moron, and full of shit, and in the next sentences responded by asking others to block me, raise your hands, etc.

In other words validating my point by responding with group think.

Ankyu

Screw the politics, I hope nobody in this crowd even knows anyone affected by the latest Chinese pandemic.
Even if you’re a hater and take China’s side because you’re instructed to, I still hope you and your loved ones aren’t sick by this most recent Chinese pandemic.

Blocking is a great reminder to yourself to not argue with certain people. I don't feel the need to really use the feature here (I think I blocked and later unblocked one person because I couldn't remember why I blocked them), because the influx of new users that would need blocking is fairly low and there's no one making outrageous drama-bait threads all the time. There's value in blocking someone just to not see the threads they make, if those are hard to ignore traps for wasting your time on pointless discussions for you. But I didn't notice anything like that here. I've put tons of other people on ignore on other forums. Don't think I've ever announced it. I've even still talked to some afterwards or liked their comments. I don't treat the feature as a declaration of war, it's more like a productivity tool imho.

Screw the politics, I hope nobody in this crowd even knows anyone affected by the latest Chinese pandemic.
Even if you’re a hater and take China’s side because you’re instructed to, I still hope you and your loved ones aren’t sick by this most recent Chinese pandemic.

It won't be long and you'll probably have a hard time finding someone who doesn't know someone affected. The grandmother of a friend of my girlfriend got infected in a hospital and might not make it. A friend told me today one of his favorite comic artists died from covid-19.

I just read about the naval hospital in NYC that doesn't accept covid Patients and its only has 20 patients and some hospital head doctor saying its useless. and now I read your info.
so its really hard to take any news as full fact.

Is there even a need for english speaking people to turn to "the news" for "information"? It's a genuine question. I get most of my infos straight from people working at the Robert Koch Institute in Germany. There's a podcast with one of their virologists 5 days a week and regular official updates by another guy from the RKI on youtube. The podcast is usually 30ish minutes long and they talk about a mix of new info he got from reading through studies that often haven't even been published yet, info from their own research, and answering questions picked from mails that the audience writes. They have like 5 to 10 or so people just screening e-mails for good questions. They take care to make the titles of the podcasts non-clickbaity and they have nothing to gain by misrepresenting anything, because they aren't financed by advertisement at all.

What are similar options for english speaking people? If there are none, then I'd be baffled and dissappointed because it seems like a no-brainer to make good science-based information from reputable sources easily availible to everyone.

That’s a good idea. Such a good idea that we added this feature a few weeks ago. ;) (It was a request after the “5-Letter Words” thread kept going and going.)

There’s an “Ignore Thread” button at the top of the page.
Thank you! I don't need it much, but definitely useful when I do!

I just talked to my sister yesterday. She is an RN in a couple of ERs. She said the main one she works at is mostly empty. She spends most of her day just cleaning stuff that doesn't usually get sanitized regularly. They are only taking Covid and trauma, but are not a major trauma center, so not much to do. All non-urgent procedures have been cancelled. She said the hospital (really mostly a medical center with doctors offices) was talking about closing and moving the nurses and doctors to nearby hospitals that need help.

She also said pretty much the whole family has had it. The two youngest don't live at home and were confirmed cases. The oldest wasn't confirmed but had all the symptoms. Fortunately, for all they were like a bad cold.

A recent law was posted forcing spammers to conform with blocked id's or something like that... Don't know if that is why, but maybe.

We have a regular phone in our house. For some reason, our cell phones barely work inside. Plus my internet is from the phone company - FIOS.

I don't get this cynicism about the media. 🤷‍♂️

The reporting I've read has been fairly decent. The nature of the story is urgent; a lot of people are sick and dying.
The print media is not bad and things like The Guardian are pretty good. It is just the TV news - and really, the 24/7 news channels that spend a lot of time on the blame game trying to make it someone's fault. Other than maybe China's.

It's like watching a bunch of gossip columnists doing the news most of the time. News should be just the facts. Not a lot of opinions.

It's like watching a bunch of gossip columnists doing the news most of the time. News should be just the facts. Not a lot of opinions.

Very true; a lot of Americans have become inured to "news" being unmoored from actual facts. More like, "here's a guy from Georgia and he says...." And here's a mom at the mall, who thinks that.....

Anecdote and innuendo instead of information, spiced up with "what's the most outrageous right/left wing thing someone posted on Facebook -- lead with that!"

Very true; a lot of Americans have become inured to "news" being unmoored from actual facts. More like, "here's a guy from Georgia and he says...." And here's a mom at the mall, who thinks that.....

Anecdote and innuendo instead of information, spiced up with "what's the most outrageous right/left wing thing someone posted on Facebook -- lead with that!"

That is why its being called "fake news" because that is exactly what it is. The poorest excuse for journalism we have ever seen since The National Enquirer.

There are a few journalists still worth their salt that dig for the facts and have ethically decided not to report unverified facts, but they are becoming far and few between. The never ending search for sensationalism to sell fake information to people is that large scale equivalent of nation-wide gossip...and its a rampant problem in the world today, especially in the USA. At this point...you can't really trust any of it 100%, take it all with a grain of salt and perhaps if you hear all sides and take it all in, including the "side" you're probably not used to listening to, you may be able to see through the bull and get a clear picture for yourself, but who has time.

Top Bottom