How's your life affected by Covid-19?

Delacey86

I’m a professional actor working in a big West End musical (disfigured composer spends all his spare time training young girl to sing until she runs off with her childhood sweetheart). Doubtful if theatre will start any time before September (and that’s being generous I think) so I’m spending my time re learning Logic and contributing vocally to a few online charity singles. My dog is getting more walks than she’s used to and I’m looking at my extensive range of resistance bands and dumbells without actually using them much at all!
i splashed out on a KK S61 MK 2 which I love, and took the plunge on composer cloud, which has given me choice paralysis but is a safer economical undertaking than splashing out big cash on libraries.
My project in the next few weeks is to build my studio work desk to house everything and to get some acoustic panels made for the walls in my recording studio/office/spare bedroom. I’m still conscious that buying things for diy projects might seem irresponsible at the moment but with all this spare time it seems a waste to not get things done.

MartinH.

How do you guys react to those people that say "The average age of those who died from covid19 is about the same age of the average life expectancy." ?

My instinct is that the average statistical life expectancy must drop through this because it's a statistical mean that also accounts for all the deaths of younger persons, so that if you cut off the lives of a lot of people at ~80 wo e.g. would have made it till ~85 or ~90, you're tipping the scale of the statistical average toward a lower life expectancy if enough people die at ~80 from covid19. *)

Also I find these discussions with friends incredibly exhausting and I'm worried about this topic splitting societies, because it's just so hart to not have a clear opinion on it that falls on one side or the other.

*) Edit: After looking at some more numbers I think that's about right. We have a little under 1 million deaths per year, ~400k dying below 80. We have 5+ million aged 80+, and if of those 1 in 6 would die (I heard that somewhere as a mortality range for old people but I don't think there are any accurate numbers yet), that would nearly double the number of deaths from baseline this year. That would affect the number you calculate for average life expectancy in that year I think. Not to mention all those corona deaths in the below 80 age range...

Last edited:

gyprock

How do you guys react to those people that say "The average age of those who died from covid19 is about the same age of the average life expectancy." ?

My instinct is that the average statistical life expectancy must drop through this because it's a statistical mean that also accounts for all the deaths of younger persons, so that if you cut off the lives of a lot of people at ~80 wo e.g. would have made it till ~85 or ~90, you're tipping the scale of the statistical average toward a lower life expectancy if enough people die at ~80 from covid19. *)

Also I find these discussions with friends incredibly exhausting and I'm worried about this topic splitting societies, because it's just so hart to not have a clear opinion on it that falls on one side or the other.

*) Edit: After looking at some more numbers I think that's about right. We have a little under 1 million deaths per year, ~400k dying below 80. We have 5+ million aged 80+, and if of those 1 in 6 would die (I heard that somewhere as a mortality range for old people but I don't think there are any accurate numbers yet), that would nearly double the number of deaths from baseline this year. That would affect the number you calculate for average life expectancy in that year I think. Not to mention all those corona deaths in the below 80 age range...
Death rate during a pandemic is questionable because it depends on how overrun the hospital system is and what country you’re in. What would be the rate if the pandemic were free to run wild, without medical intervention? What would be the rate if everyone had personalised care and ventilators? How much is the pandemic acting as a catalyst for amplifying other conditions? What about post infection complications in organs causing death some time after a patient is tested negative? Would the Spanish Flu of 1918 been so rampant if it weren’t for the war. So many questions. I heard that Portugal wasn’t affected like Spain because school kids there continued to get mandatory vaccinations during 1970s and 80s whereas Spain had stopped earlier. This seems to imply that Portuguese may have greater immunity. The conclusion is to listen to the science rather than the politics.

dflood

What point are they trying to make? That COVID-19 will kill some people who would have died soon anyway from other causes? The answer is undoubtably, yes. But the disease is also killing many others far prematurely. Just look at the huge increases in total deaths in areas with severe outbreaks:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/28/us/coronavirus-death-toll-total.html

As we gain experience with this virus, we are also starting to see debilitating chronic after effects among the survivors including pulmonary fibrosis, heart, kidney, and neurologic damage. So it isn’t just the death rate we should be concerned with, although that is alarming enough.

MartinH.

@gyprock & @dflood: I'm with you on all points. It's just I'm in a lengthy email debate with someone who doesn't believe Covid19 to be dangerous enough to warrant the measures we're taking. Here in Germany we are blessed with very low numbers of deaths and hospitals are half empty because we've reacted quickly enough to the outbreak. Experts call it the "pandemics paradoxon" or something like that - the better the preventive measures work, the more people say it was a totally overblown reaction and would have been fine anyway. When millions die, everyone says the government should have done more and and it's all their fault. But when they do, and it works, and barely anyone dies, they want to found political resistance parties and infiltrate the government to stop the preventive measures. It's utterly frustrating.

And then there are thousands of anti-vaxxers or conspiracy nutjobs that think Bill Gates wants to literally kill them or chip them with vaccinations. It's so frustrating, this country feels more divided to me than in years. People cherrypick the stuff they listen too, they're super scared of vaccines and their long term effects but completely ignore that we know even less about Covid19 long term effects. The internet is filled with people holding some kind of "trust-inspiring title" (like doctor or professor - doesn't matter if it's not in virology...) and claiming to be experts, while talking total bullshit. And it's apparently impossible for people to pick out those that make rational and reasonable arguments rooted in science and have actual knowledge and past publications on the subject. It's like a war of misinformation that is fought on social media. I have watched a couple of those "counter arguments" by various people, so that no one can claim I'm just staying in my own echo chamber, and not a single one of them was remotely convincing to me. I don't get how so many people fall for them.

redlester

I made my first Covidtime purchase today. Spitfire cinematic perc., $29. Excellent but a bit anti-climactic. I can go "boom" and "swoosh". :) But it was enough to fend off the GAS a bit and make me feel like I'm still a musician. I hope Spitfire makes a lot more of these lil gems.
My GAS has gone into overdrive this week with the launch of the new Moog Subharmonicon but I guess that’s for threads elsewhere.

stefandy31

covid-19 affect my life pretty hard, but at least i can make music everyday...
recently graduate in december 2019, doing alot of interview and still unemployed until now.
actually i'm still open freelancing music, but i gave up because its very hard to find clients. maybe my music is just sucks or i'm bad at marketing myself.

MauroPantin

We'll cross that bridge when we burn it
Still in lockdown here. I feel like the Titanic lady. It's been 84 years...

recently graduate in december 2019, doing alot of interview and still unemployed until now.
actually i'm still open freelancing music, but i gave up because its very hard to find clients. maybe my music is just sucks or i'm bad at marketing myself.
Stay strong, man. The only thing you start at the top is a ditch. I checked your Soundcloud, you're doing alright in the music department. If you can force yourself to do it, try to allocate an hour or two a day to learning about marketing, business practices, and reaching out to people, music chops are only half of the game. Learning to run a freelance business is a skill that takes time to hone just like an instrument. But it is a skill worth learning, in music and elsewhere.

stefandy31

Still in lockdown here. I feel like the Titanic lady. It's been 84 years...

Stay strong, man. The only thing you start at the top is a ditch. I checked your Soundcloud, you're doing alright in the music department. If you can force yourself to do it, try to allocate an hour or two a day to learning about marketing, business practices, and reaching out to people, music chops are only half of the game. Learning to run a freelance business is a skill that takes time to hone just like an instrument. But it is a skill worth learning, in music and elsewhere.
honestly i'm still clueless how i do something like marketing business despite my music isn't good enough and not confidence with my music. i tried to post freelance job like fiverr, reddit and upwork, but its very saturated and hard to finding clients. btw i'm using wix for showcasing my work, but since i'm software engineer, i'm planning to make an simple website with free hosting for showcasing my work, but i dont know if its worth or not. i think i want to try to post my job again at fiverr or reddit. also thanks for listening my story.

MartinH.

honestly i'm still clueless how i do something like marketing business despite my music isn't good enough and not confidence with my music. i tried to post freelance job like fiverr, reddit and upwork, but its very saturated and hard to finding clients. btw i'm using wix for showcasing my work, but since i'm software engineer, i'm planning to make an simple website with free hosting for showcasing my work, but i dont know if its worth or not. i think i want to try to post my job again at fiverr or reddit. also thanks for listening my story.
Check out this thread:

jonathanparham

Hang in there

stefandy31

Check out this thread:
never heard about unity connect, thanks.. gonna try this. about fiver and upwork, i think they're very competitive and hard to find clients.

BradHoyt

Thankfully I'm still employed, so this may seem trivial to some...

Since this whole thing started, I've turned my attention back to what sample libraries have been released recently (I didn't may much attention for the past 2-3 years due to work and distraction, etc)

This is what I wish I knew about sooner!

Ben Osterhouse (https://www.kontakthub.com/label/ben-osterhouse/)- Wow! Great prices, and great quality strings + Proof that you can never have too many string libraries, because the performances, and the programming, can make all the difference :)

ThePhonoLoop (https://thephonoloop.com/) - An entire collection of very well done sample libraries that were recorded on various cassette decks, and they sound super authentic... Agh! I wish I knew about these last year before Christmas. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but if it is...

Anyway, felt compelled to shamelessly endorse these libraries. lol

dzilizzi

Well, I gave my husband his first Covid haircut. The clippers weren't working well and I'm not used to doing really, really short cuts. When I was a hairdresser for a brief moment in the 80's, hair was much longer for most men that went to the places I worked. But he is happy with it and not bald.

Fun times! I hope the barber shops open soon here. ;)

MauroPantin

We'll cross that bridge when we burn it
Still on lockdown here, and not getting any flexibility, so I already had not one, but two COVID haircuts.

Our schedule is also completely fucked. We're living in Japan Standard Time right now.

Rodney Money

On V.I. avoiding work.
I debated on writing this since so many musicians are having difficulties during these times, but I’ve never been busier concerning commissions. So many people and ensembles are looking for hope and are commissioning pieces of hope to be performed after this pandemic. I’ve used samples for mock-ups, sent them to clients, then received the commission: I’m finishing a brass band piece now that they are wanting a meaningful piece to record on their Christmas album, 7 churches are coming together to get me to write an organ, brass, and choir piece, a work for saxophone ensemble and choir, a brass quintet piece for July 4th, and a full orchestral piece. All of these ensembles are looking for hope, and the hope that they will unite again soon and they want music that talks about that. There are opportunities out there. Just work for them and dare I say write music that actually means something having purpose.