What's new

How's your life affected by Covid-19?

You generally won't pick it up by just breathing in say a large grocery store with A/C and filters.

Unfortunately, the very small particles stay in the air for a long time after a sneeze or cough. There's a good Japanese video on the length of time the smallest things float:

The aerosol aspect is I think more related to people in the vicinity of ventilator equipment in action.
Which could account for why front line responders are prone to get very sick, perhaps because they are in a position to inhale a large number of virus aerosols directly into their lungs. There seems to be some evidence of correlation between viral load and illness severity.

Inhalation isn't even the only threat, eyes are points of entry for viruses too.

I think all the "stay away X meters and it is safe" recommendations can only be best guesses because they don't have and can't get the data they would need to say these things with high degrees of certainty and there are so many unique factors at play in any given situation. The proper scientists are very open about that. But even guesses in the right direction are a lot better than nothing and they'll have positive effects on the curve for sure. But if you're in a very high risk group you either have to stay inside and have someone else buy your groceries, or take tons of precautions that are hard to stay consistent with.

yes the longer you're exposed to the virus the more dangerous it will be.
Regarding shopping, I have not seen one person cough or sneeze in a supermarket..you'd be a dumb fk to be shopping if you was.

Are they checking temperatures yet? Not that it does any good. You can spread it without having symptoms. Typhoid Mary and all....

On this topic, I just came from the store outside. Buying groceries once a week at most here, because of the time it takes to process everything. The precautions here are pretty thorough. Everybody I know (friends, family) goes about it about the same way.

We all go out with something covering our faces, even if it is a handkerchief or a bandana. We come back home, take off our shoes and leave them outside the door. The neighbors have been doing the same thing in that regard.

Once we come inside we wash our hands and toss all the clothes into a bucket we have at the entrance and take a shower. The clothes are to be washed at a high temp. Then we go to the kitchen and disinfect absolutely everything that came from outside. The items from the store, the reusable bags we use for groceries, etc. Some items stay next to the door (wallet, keys, etc). If something does not need its packaging, the package goes to the trash. Then we clean every surface we touched since we came in (light switches, door handles, soap dispensers, faucets, etc). Then the kitchen counter, and then we have the robot vacuum cleaner mop the entire floor of the house with bleach, which is the most common disinfectant here.

Now is this too much? Maybe. But I have asthma, so I'd rather exaggerate 'cuz I don't want to fucking die or spend two weeks alone in an isolated ward watching other people die around me. And I certainly don't want my wife to have to go through something like that.

Now, maybe my chances are better, I'm only 32 and (aside from asthma) quite healthy and fit, I rarely get sick. But even in that case, if for some reason I need medical attention I don't want to take up a bed someone else with worse chances could need. One of those people could be my mom or my dad, both of them are definitely not young and have pre-existing conditions.

Something that is quite clear right now is that this is the way we live now and it will be so for the coming months, even after the lockdown is lifted, this crap is here to stay. Which sucks cuz that entire process takes about 2 hours.

Not everybody here is taking it as seriously, though. You see them when you go outside. A lot of people have been detained for being out and about. An anti-theft satellite tracking system for cars we have here recently published a report stating that a lot of people are still going at night, particularly during weekends and traffic has not been as reduced in those "leisure" hours as it should. So, I know it's not any comfort (quite the opposite probably) but don't think that is only an American thing. It's a human thing. We are not as smart as we think we are. Sure, moon landing, great achievements, etc. But we tend to infer the qualities of our best moments are inherent to humanity, when in fact most people are not really paying that much attention, or they are paying attention to the wrong thing.

Well, most humans are social animals. It is hard to sit alone in isolation for a lot of them.

I imagine it is hard for people to change their habits. That freaks people out because they are not practicing safety precautions. It reminds me of the time living in an apartment without plumbing for 3 days. I don't know how many times after the fact I took a leak or dump.

Well now I'm tarting to take inventory of all of the DAW stuff I have and using some of it. I have plenty of plugins, loops and even DAWs. I finally made it through 6 parts of learning Live. Next is to apply it.

I'm interested in what people are doing in their music making and are now forced to set goals. Should I make a thread. I'm done with the politics and the media stuff.

Very few places are doing that. People are generally not being careful enough, they are doing half-assed social distancing at best. if you gotta get milk, then you gotta get milk...but everyone just needs to be extra careful themselves and realize that most other people are not.

Yeah, we need to practice "defensive shopping" if we ever shop again. Some people are still slow to catch on re: distancing.

Today one woman asked me if I was in line (outside the store). "Yes I am, ma'am. We're spacing, for safety." She muttered something like "yeah yeah yeah" so I followed up with "Six feet, please."

Also, there were still couples in line. How many people does it take to make a shopping trip?

Another woman, yapping on her phone, dodged right into my space in the meat department without apparently leaving her own mental whirlpool.

A lot of people (me included) might go into a shopping trance when they enter a store, and we need to be aware of that for self-protection.

Top Bottom