What's new

How's Overture now?

pinki

So the last time Overture was discussed people were adamant it was too buggy and crashed too much. That was the end of 2018. Anyone care to say how they are finding it now?
I really want this hybrid notation/daw software to be a success and I had Overture 4 back in the day, which was excellent.
So how is Overture 5 now? (especially on Mac)

Quasar

I tried the demo and have been interested in this too. A quick glance at the website shows that it hasn't been updated since 12/24/18.

OP
pinki

pinki

Interesting. So when in a previous thread in January the developer said:

“I fix more issues than the other big guys and release updates more often. Sometimes a release may go out earlier than it should and I may miss something, but it gets fixed quickly. My users have reassured me this is a much better process than waiting a year to”

it was not so accurate, unless Overture is now very stable of course and there has been no further issues! Lets hope so. Any users?

EDIT: Actually just saw it was updated in June:

Last edited:

Tacet

If you are after recent user feedback, this thread in the SS forum is a good place to start.

Personally I love the workflow in OV5, it really is an almost perfect blend between a notation software and a DAW.

Is it 100% as good for engraving as Sibelius/Finale/Dorico?
Most users seem to think the answer is "not yet".

Is it 100% as flexible for production/mixing as the main DAWs?
Ditto.

But I don't think you'll find a better hybrid notation/daw software around at the moment.
Yes, there are still some stability and performance issues, as it emerges clearly from the poll I linked.

Ultimately, it depends on your requirements.
Generally speaking, here at VI-C OV5 doesn't get much love, particularly among the professionals.
That was evident in my thread from last year.
But most peole do like the idea of using one integrated software instead of two, see here.

Last edited:
OP
pinki

pinki

Hey thanks, really useful. I've been playing with the demo and I have to say there are some wonderful ideas and implementations. Like the score-roll as opposed to the piano-roll. I mean that's just better in my brain. And the whole linear view is just perfect.
And a great GUI.
I also found out there is now auto-save which, though only a partial solution solution to the crashing, it helps take the sting out. (I have only had one crash today).

It really is a very splendid program and I don't understand why it get's little love here. Well there is one reason. The dev is very poor at PR indeed and shouldn't come on the forums- but hey Spitfire were bad at that before they threw their toys out of the pram and left, so it's not easy doing both.

Tacet

Hey thanks, really useful. I've been playing with the demo and I have to say there are some wonderful ideas and implementations. Like the score-roll as opposed to the piano-roll. I mean that's just better in my brain. And the whole linear view is just perfect.
And a great GUI.
I also found out there is now auto-save which, though only a partial solution solution to the crashing, it helps take the sting out. (I have only had one crash today).

It really is a very splendid program and I don't understand why it get's little love here. Well there is one reason. The dev is very poor at PR indeed and shouldn't come on the forums- but hey Spitfire were bad at that before they threw their toys out of the pram and left, so it's not easy doing both.
Go ahead and get it, you know you want to... 😜

And the crossgrade price is very reasonable indeed... 👍

OP
pinki

pinki

Ha I just may, but I always need to be careful with that initial rush..it can lead to trouble :rolleyes:
I'm going to live with the (very helpful) demo for a few days yet and read the manual.

OP
pinki

pinki

Wow.. I've spent some time on the Overture forum. Not a pleasant place to hang out. That guy Don is like the rudest, most bad tempered mean-spirited guy. He has tantrums online with his users! How to lose sales.

Tacet

@pinki, so are you saying that you are not going to get OV5 because of Don's attitude over at the SS forum, despite the fact that you clearly love the software?
If so, that is entirely your prerogative and none of my business, granted.

I just feel that I have to point out that on the one occasion that I spoke to Don, he came across as a genuinely friendly and helpful person, who went out of his way to help me resolve an issue (full details in my previous thread).

Although OV5 doesn't get much love here at VI-C, there are a few posters who seem to have used the software for a long time and are very enthusiastic about it (@wcreed51, @Craig Duke and others).
Perhaps they would like to jump in and have a say here?

Personally, so far I have managed to find all the info I needed in the OV5 Quick Help, and on a couple of occasions by using the search function over at the SS forum.
I didn't even need to create a login for that forum in order to ask for help.
Admittedly, I've only been using OV5 for less than a year, and only for projects with a relatively small number of tracks.
Other posters have pointed out that large orchestral projects can be a challenge with OV5, and in all honesty I cannot comment on that at this stage.
And yes, OV5 still has a few bugs and stability issues - like all notations programs and DAWs out there.

But I can tell you this: if like myself you find it easier to compose pieces where counterpoint and voice leading play a big role (like a string quartet or SATB choir for instance) in a notation program as opposed to a DAW, using the VSTs of your choice for playback, then you'll find that OV5 does the job phenomenally well.
And you can edit tempo changes, CCs and velocities just like you would in a DAW.

Ultimately, it's your decision of course - this is just my two cents. :)

Last edited:
OP
pinki

pinki

Thanks Tacet. You are right of course to point out that making a decision this way is not the best way and I am glad to hear your view.

Last edited:
Top Bottom