1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How would you respond?

Discussion in 'Working in the Industry' started by Andrajas, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Rasmus Hartvig

Rasmus Hartvig Senior Member

Definitely. But in my experience it's surprising how many companies will offer you a deal where you don't recoup with investors. Just something to be aware of for someone inexperienced entering the minefield.

Andrajas likes this.
  2. jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

If I wanted to score the game I would just do it. If needs be, I'd get a temporary non-music job to pay the bills. That one game could be something that springboards me to another game that I would love to work on. But of course, this is only if I really wanted to score it. Earning money to pay the bills outside of music is far easier than earning a living in music, so just get a shit job and learn how to live on 3 hours sleep and do the game ;)

Andrajas likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Andrajas

Andrajas Senior Member

Jun 21, 2014
    Sweden
    Of course I can get an non-music payed job and just take the gig for very little money. I do feel I have to value my time anyway and that means getting paid for the work I do. As told earlier, if they really want me, we will work something out, even if that means I don't get paid as much as I wanted. I sent an answer back to them, lets see what they say :)

4. jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

Oh, I don't mean just do the Game for nothing. You have to be paid something. However, if scoring the game is something I would would want to do then I would definitely negotiate with them (hopefully making them realise why my fee would be what it would be to add value - people like to know what their money is being spent on) and go from there. The shitty job thing is just sometimes a necessary evil to pursue this kind of thing. Definitely don't work for free. And payment doesn't have to be Financial etc.

Wolfie2112 and Andrajas like this.
  5. Strezov

Strezov Senior Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Keep the rights and sell the music to a library, you can probably earn more if the music is good. Just make sure you don't sell yourself too short - make a point in writing that this is a one time deal. Otherwise people would expect you to work on the same rates for ages --- been there personally.... :(

Andrajas and Wolfie2112 like this.