1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How would you get this violin/viola sound? Schubert's Unfinished Symphony

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by jjmmuir, Jul 11, 2018.

1. jjmmuir

jjmmuir Senior Member

Aug 7, 2016
    Hi everyone - I am at last trying to mock something up. Finished tempo mapping without transients which was good to learn. Now I'm just starting the mock up but the only string library I have is SF Chamber Strings which is super. But the shorts and spiccatos don't blend in the same way as the recording - too crisp and defined. I tried to adjust the release etc but perhaps the size of the section is not quite suitable. Or it could well be me!

Does listening to the violins/violas (16ths) from bar 9 in the recording below remind you of a certain string library? Any general tips to approximating the sound?
    Thanks for any thoughts.

2. Selfinflicted

Selfinflicted Senior Member

Jun 22, 2016
    LASS can do that well with the Auto Rhythm Tool. Has some nice and quick controls over sound/articulation, etc.

jjmmuir likes this.
  3. sekkosiki

sekkosiki Senior Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Espoo
    I think you mean Violin 1 and 2, violas are doing pizzicato, right? I'm using Berlin Strings, thus I don't know about the articulations in Spitfire Chamber Strings that well. I would use doubles or repetition articulation instead of separate shorts. Can you post your mockup?

jjmmuir likes this.
  4. sekkosiki

sekkosiki Senior Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Espoo
    jjmmuir likes this.
  5. Kas

Kas Senior Member

Dec 27, 2015
    SF Chamber strings is a great sounding library but this symphony requires different string sizes. What works for me is the transposition trick. Duplicate your first and second violin tracks and then, in these tracks, transpose all midi notes one tone up while at the same time transpose one tone down the corresponding patch in Kontakt. You can even make all these one more time but with opposite transpositions. If you do this you'll have three tracks which you can edit individually so that notes do not start at the same time and blend better.

jjmmuir likes this.
  6. Selfinflicted

Selfinflicted Senior Member

Jun 22, 2016
    v1 and v2 are 16ths in b9 - va is pizz. with vc/cb.
    SF chamber strings is a small ensemble, and the way they recorded it at Air it is not always the easiest to control the sound. Sounds great for what it is, but not the best for doing a big 16+ violin section with a homogenous sound.

You can try the Ostinato tool in SF Cham Str, but LASS offers a lot more control to play at the dynamic you want and offers a larger string size sound.

jjmmuir likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    jjmmuir

jjmmuir Senior Member

Aug 7, 2016
    Yes you're completely right. I'm trying to transcribe as I go. No mockup to speak up at this stage.
    Fantastic, you absolutely nailed it! Thanks so much. Wishing Berlin strings was more affordable about now...wow
    Hoping someone knows of a cheaper option.
    Thanks everyone for the fast helpful feedback. Very grateful.

sekkosiki likes this.
  8. sekkosiki

sekkosiki Senior Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Espoo
    Thanks man! My mockup needs more work though, like small velocity differences and the notes shouldn't be always exactly on the beat. And yes Berlin Strings is quite expensive, but you get what you pay for :).

9. OP
    OP
    jjmmuir

jjmmuir Senior Member

Aug 7, 2016
    So Berlin Strings can clearly do this. Any other recommendations for other string libraries that would perform similarly - ideally on sale? :)

Thanks a lot.