How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World

Discussion in 'Soundtracks Discussion' started by Jediwario1, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Jediwario1

Jediwario1 Composer

Apr 18, 2015
    New Zealand
    The soundtrack for the third and final film in the series is now out. Yet again John Powell knocks it out of the park. A nice mixture of old themes and great new ones. Also the mixing is fantastic especially the choir.

After my first listen through my favorite track is "The Hidden World".

It's now time for me to purchase all three soundtracks on CD.

I won't link the soundtrack here but a simple search on YouTube will bring it up, and if you don't have time to listen to the full thing there's a 6:41 suite (also on YouTube).

dcoscina, tebling and karelpsota like this.
  2. dcoscina

dcoscina Senior Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Yes it’s quite exquisite. I’d say more concert like orchestral than film score which is a good thing. The hidden world is indeed a powerful and emotive theme.

3. Chr!s

Chr!s Active Member

May 27, 2018
    It's good stuff, as was to be expected

4. nickmurraymusic

nickmurraymusic New Member

Feb 20, 2019
    The recording sounds great on this score

5. reutunes

reutunes Senior Member

May 1, 2012
    Shame about the sound balance in the actual film. All of the HTTYD movies seem to mix the score very quietly against the SFX and dialogue.

Nite Sun likes this.
  6. Guy Rowland

Guy Rowland Senior Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Yes, noticed this too. It's an oddly conservative mix, consistent across the trilogy. Speaks volumes that despite being almost buried entirely at times, it still has impact. When the main theme kicks in towards the denouement of the Hidden World, it's simply as good as cinema gets. Bravo John Powell.

7. MrLinssi

MrLinssi A glorified bedroom musician.

Oct 1, 2016
    Finland
    I only recently watched the first movie and Mr. Powell's score was indeed spectacular.

8. miket

miket Team Dany

May 17, 2016
    New York
    I haven't seen any of these movies yet, but Powell's scores are *really* impressive.

9. Symfoniq

Symfoniq Active Member

May 8, 2013
    These are the kinds of scores (a la "Star Wars") that really make the movies even better. My children love the HTTYD scores at least as much as the films themselves, which is saying something.

jonathanparham likes this.
  10. miket

miket Team Dany

May 17, 2016
    New York
    I do get the impression that the movies are a cut above the usual stuff, yeah. Plus, I know Powell is really selective about what he does. They must have some merit.