What's new

How to start a B3

Love it!

Several years ago I was offered a broken C3, with two (count then 2) leslie cabinets, for free because the organ did not work. I don't know why, but of course I had to walk over, hit the start switch, and then at the appropriate moment hit run.

You'd have thought I'd discovered the cure to all known ailments.

At the time I suspect I wasn't all that generous in my thoughts, since the offer was (of course) rescinded. But truth be told, we aren't born with some of this odd knowledge. I need to remember that sometimes.

The real question, I suppose, is after I lugged all this gear home would I have felt bad when I discovered it was pilot error? I mean a C3 and two tone cabinets is a lot of truck space, a lot weight, just moving them would have been a hassle. But yeah, I think I'd have felt bad, so I guess I'm glad I checked. (I can tell you if I had discovered that nothing was wrong it would have been on them to retrieve them!!!)

Bill, next time bring a toolbox with you. Offer to take a look, and if you can "fix it," he'll pay you a hundred bucks, and if you can't, then he doesn't owe you anything. Then open up the back panel, clink some wrenches around, then announce that you found "the broken wire." Then (and only then!), try the Start/Run switches. :grin:

On a related note, we sampled my C3 a couple weeks ago, and the B3 last week and this week. (Yes, I really have both. Hello, my name is Mike, and I have gear addiction.)

As many people know, except for the cabinets, they're identical organs, so in theory, they should sound the same. They don't, though, because there are small differences in years, and more importantly, the capacitors in these beasts are the old kind that lose (or gain?) their capacitance, which radically effects the sound.

The C3 has a very neutral sound, but the B3 is dark. So after we finish sampling it, we're going to re-cap it, then sample it again. It will be interesting to hear the difference.

Top Bottom