How to Simulate Realistic String Lines

leogardini

I am happy to announce the release of the second free article of the Gardini School Blog.

In the real world the string is the most important section of the orchestra. More than half of the orchestra is composed by string players and this ensemble is for sure the most used in all kinds of orchestrations.

Surprisingly, this ensemble does not require a lot of deep programming to sound expressive. You only need to keep in mind certain basic bow movements and correctly implement them in your midi.

This is what I am going to show you in:

Ashermusic

Bravo Leo! Excellent tutorial.

Two questions:
1. How much cc1 vs cc11 is library, even instrument, dependent, correct?

2. You draw the ccs after rather than playing them in real time with the mid wheel or expression pedal or MIDI controller box?

berlin87

Novice
@Ashermusic Just chiming in here as a novice, by answering your questions that were meant for Leo, I learn something new again..

I noticed that CC1 is great to mimic the "moment" in a score, e.g. if the first four bars are pp (pianissimo), I'll draw a gentle curve that peaks at 25 (out of 127) so that I will only hear the softer samples. Expression gets used freely, ranging anywhere from 0 to 127, to mark the attack, crescendi and a gentle fade-out at the end of a phrase.

I draw the CCs, as I import my music as a midi file (Sibelius). As I use a fader to draw in the Expression/CC11, I am starting to believe it would sound better if I'd nudge the freshly drawn curves a bit to the left, so that I make up for my own delay.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, just putting my thoughts "on paper" :)