How to share a midi keyboard between two different hosts

Discussion in 'GEAR Talk Forum' started by novicecomposer, May 21, 2019.

1. novicecomposer

novicecomposer Member

Apr 15, 2014
    One program is a DAW and the other is a notation program such as Sibelius. It could be another DAW or any midi host program. How do I use a single midi keyboard across the two without fiddling the midi settings in the program every time I make a switch? Is it even possible?

Of course, I could buy another keyboard so each host has its dedicated keyboard assigned but my workspace is limited, plus I would need to reposition my body every time I switch between two keyboards. Not to mention extra money to purchase.

2. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
  3. YaniDee

YaniDee Active Member

Dec 3, 2017
    Montreal
    Is it on one machine or two? Mac or PC? Usb or standard midi connectors? If it's on one machine and the system recognizes it, it should work on any program if you set it as the default keyboard. (Some progs might take exclusive priority esp with usb keyboards, but most don't). I use an Axiom with standard midi ports going to a Usb 4 port hub, and I can switch from one program to another with no problem..

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  4. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Oh, I just assumed two machines. Yeah, if it's only one then it should just be automatic.

5. OP
    OP
    novicecomposer

novicecomposer Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Just one machine. It's a PC thru USB. Are you sure they do an automatic switch? My experience was different; my DAW (reaper and cubase) and Sibelius compete each other to take an exclusive control. I need to manually set it as the default keyboard in the settings in each host when switching. When it's set in one host, the other host can't access it. My keyboard is Doepfer PK88 USB but it probably doesn't matter much. Thanks guys.

6. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Does the Doepfer use a driver, or is it USB MIDI class-compliant?

If it's the latter, you should be able to route it to both programs. I'm not sure how on Windows - someone else here surely will - but I know you can.

And if I'm wrong, you can use the MIDI out instead of USB with any MIDI interface and it'll route it to both programs.

7. YaniDee

YaniDee Active Member

Dec 3, 2017
    Montreal
    I admit I had a similar problem when I used my (M-Audio) Axiom 25 with USB vs standard midi ports (it has both) If I started Cubase without the keyboard turned on, I had to close Cubase, turn on the keyboard and restart the program. When I used a standard midi cable through a Usb midi hub, that issue didn't happen. I can turn on the keyboard after Cubase, and it would be recognized and I can switch to different progs and have it function. The thing is , hardly any current kbs have standard midi ports (except the very expensive ones) these days

8. YaniDee

YaniDee Active Member

Dec 3, 2017
    Montreal
    Here is some info from the Cubase forum..it's basically is hit and miss, but in my experience, standard midi to usb hub works..

Re: help needed using MIDI with multiple applications and Windows 10
    Post by kostix ยป Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:20 am

I think this entirely depends on the MIDI interface used. I have 3 different midi interfaces here, one is part of the maudio delta 1010 interface which is on the pci bus, another one is an maudio midisport 8x8 with USB, and a small 4 channel one "Midibox 4x4" also usb.. The Midibox exhibits this behaviour, the driver gets locked and no other app can use the particular port which i tried to open in 2 apps at once. However the other 2 interfaces seem to be more transparent and their driver does not lock the midi device to the first app which opened it.
    Im a hardware/software developer myself, and this issue is actually an annoyance cause a single solution might not work on any available midi interface hehe.

9. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    We Mac users are spoiled, I guess. Core MIDI takes care of all that without intervention.