How to setup Lemur to recognize Cubase Midi Mixer data

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by jpb007.uk, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Hi there fellow VI'ers,
    I hope you may be able to help.

I've been trying to figure out how to get Lemur to capture MIDI IN data from Cubase 9.5
    What I want to do is, use the Cubase feature of sending a track number to Lemur, and then also a unique number that I can use in Lemur to display a set of articulation buttons. (you can probably tell where I'm going with this).

I've tried everything I can think of, but Lemur just won't capture MIDI data and becoming somewhat frustrated with this after almost a week.

Many thanks in advance,
    Jon

2. pmcrockett

pmcrockett Active Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Saint Louis
    I'm not a Cubase user so I can't help on that end of things, but the process of actually capturing the MIDI data in Lemur should be the same regardless of DAW.

If you're not already doing so, the best way to set this up will probably be with a script that is set to On MIDI execution. This execution mode is listed at the top of the script pane. Setting a script's execution to On MIDI will make the script run every time Lemur receives a MIDI event of the correct type. The type of MIDI event the script captures is determined by how you set the filter fields, which are in the script header to the right of the execution mode. Once you've set this header info up, the script will have access to an array named MIDI_ARGS every time it runs. This MIDI_ARGS array contains the contents of the incoming MIDI event.

To get the MIDI info, you have to pull data from specific indices in MIDI_ARGS. For most MIDI messages, there are three parts: MIDI_ARGS[0], MIDI_ARGS[1], and MIDI_ARGS[2]. Page 147 of the manual lists what's in each of these -- in the table on that page, data 1 is what's in MIDI_ARGS[0], data 2 is what's in MIDI_ARGS[1], and what's listed under remarks (usually the channel) is in MIDI_ARGS[2].

There's no info on the type of event in MIDI_ARGS because you already know the event type -- it's whatever you set the header's filter to. If you want to catch multiple types of MIDI event, you'll need multiple scripts, each looking at one of the event types.

If you know specifically what types of MIDI messages Cubase is sending out to Lemur, I can give you example code that should be able to catch them.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    jpb007.uk likes this.
  3. Ok thanks and although I have tried these approaches before, I have only done so using an existing template, which is very large and complex, and may have somehow prevented the ON MIDI feature from working. So I'm going to create a brand new Lemur and Cubase template just to get the ON MIDI feature figured out and working. I'll report back here with a progress update in the next day or two.
    Thanks again :)

4. dgburns

dgburns tinkle tinkle

Nov 4, 2012
  5. Ok so I've got it to work with a brand new template. Yay!!
    Though still no idea how to send the track number or any other useful info to Lemur. Probably quite useful for those using expression maps, but as I have one track per articulation, I think we'll stick to our current template setup, which doesn't need expression maps and allows us to drive Cubase quite nicely from Lemur whilst keeping everything nice and simple.

Thanks for everyone's help - its always good to know there is someone out there that can help :)