1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to set set legato overlap in Logic?

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by stigc56, Mar 13, 2018.

1. stigc56

stigc56 Senior Member

May 14, 2009
    I think it's possible in Cubase, but is it possible in Logic? To have - say 10 ticks overlap when I select 2 notes and turn on the legato function in Logic.

2. Dewdman42

Dewdman42 Senior Member

Oct 28, 2016
    I have been wanting the same thing. I don't know of a single command for it. There is one that can make all the notes butt exactly up to each other, they call it a legato function(see Edit-Trim menu), but not with overlap. So I guess that procedure would be
    1. Select all the notes you want to have overlapping legato
    2. use the legato function
    3. while the notes are all still selected, grab the end of one of them and drag it to the right 10 ticks (which will lengthen all of them, hopefully by 10 ticks)
    You might be able to automate step 3 with a transform or something in order to get exactly 10 ticks every time, I have to put some more thought into that.

Maybe someone knows a better way..

3. tmhuud

tmhuud Brown Belt

Nov 19, 2006
    Hollywood
    clisma likes this.
  4. clisma

clisma Senior Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Love keyboard maestro and use it daily, but unless I’m misunderstanding the question, this is even easier and with no need of a third party software, provided you’re on Logic 10.3.2 and later.

1. Have the piano roll open with the notes in question
    2. Open the transform window
    3. Select “Quantize Note Length” in the Presets menu (any would do, this is just an easy starting point)
    4. Under the “Length” column, switch “QuaMin” to “Add”
    5. In the resulting number field below, add 10 to the last digit field, that’s the ticks field (I’d make that at least 100 for legato, not 10)
    6. Click “Select and Operate”

That should do it. Now all you have to do, is save this as a preset in the transform window and then assign a keyboard shortcut to it via the Key Commands window.

rhye likes this.
  5. tmhuud

tmhuud Brown Belt

Nov 19, 2006
    Hollywood
    That works too. You’ve gotten it down to a single click w/ preset. :)

clisma likes this.
  6. charlieclouser

charlieclouser Senior Member

Dec 20, 2009
    I have key commands set to increase / decrease note length by tick / division / beat / bar so I just use the normal Force Legato or Prevent Overlaps command followed by one of those.

WindcryMusic and clisma like this.
  7. charlieclouser

charlieclouser Senior Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Edit to add:

I think the reason that Logic doesn't have a Preference item to set how much overlap will result from a Force Legato command is that, when editing drum parts or any part where the same note repeats (like loop triggers or hi-hats or whatever), the result would be a Note-On, followed by a second Note-On, followed by the Note-Off that "belongs" to the first Note-On, followed by another Note-Off that belongs to the second Note-On. The audible result would be one long note, and a second note that cuts off after the overlap amount.

Back in the days of hardware MIDI, it was aggravating that Logic behaved this way, but... technically it's correct and proper for it to do so. I have confirmed that it still behaves this way even with virtual instruments.

Of course, the ideal solution would be for Logic to have a Preference item to set how much "Force Legato Overlap Amount (in ticks) For Non-Repeating Notes" the user wanted. Then, performing a Force Legato on a legato strings part or whatever would result in notes with the specified overlap amount instead of a gap of five ticks or whatever it is now, but if a Force Legato was performed on loop triggers or repeating drum events, the result would be the behavior we see now.

That would be pretty ingenious - but I'm not holding my breath!

Vik, Dewdman42, NoamL and 1 other person like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    stigc56

stigc56 Senior Member

May 14, 2009
    Yes I know that I could use the transform set, but isn't it a problem, that they are limited to 30?
    I had hoped for a built in solution.
    Thanks anyway!
    (Yes I have Keyboard Maestro - using it for assigning a second short cut to rewind!)