What's new

How to recreate this sound (Synthy vocal-like constant-legato sound)?

BenjaminO

Hey!

Does anyone have an idea on how the lead sound in this song could be designed or recreated? I really like it.

The song

To me it sounds like a vocal-ish sample with its pitch being controlled by some continuous control (like a fader, wheel or joystick) or its pitch envelope drawn in a DAW.

Another song by the same artist has a similar (or maybe the same) lead sound.

Anyone have any thoughts?

sounds a bit like playing Vocaloid or similar with glide cranked up...

(Vocaloid is a Japanese singing voice synth plugin FWIW)

Last edited:
That's more than likely a synth patch just being controlled by its envelopes rather than a CC, and I agree with timprebble that there could be some kind of formant modulation shozzle going on.

Bear in mind that without a sound's attack, many, many sounds' tails can be made into that kind of sound. Anything that's not totally buzzy would work, because sounds tend to decay into sine-y sounds. The Roland D50 from the '80s worked on the sampled attack/synthesized tail principle, and in fact VSL has a reverb that combines IR early reflections with a synthesized tail.

There are zillions of patches of that ilk in Omnisphere, for example, and it wouldn't surprise me if that's what this is.

Yeah sounds like simple pitch shifting on a vocal/newage pad sound. Actually I have done a similiar sound for my Modern EDM package (for MPowerSynth). It has a different basic tone, but the mickey mouse like shifting is the same. It actually just depends on the overtone structure of the sound itself how it sounds when pitched. You need to have strong formant frequencies present for this effect.

Sounds a bit like a Theremin in terms of the "legato" / "glissando" feel. The sound it produces is obviously completely different, though. Nonetheless, it's one way to create such a sound.
Another way would probably be to do it just like 808 slides. Or use some kind of vocoder.

Theremin Example

Top Bottom