What's new

How to recreate this bass sound ?

nuyo

It's from the JXL Sounds.com sample pack.
It's a sound that he constantly uses troughout his scores.

It's a heavy amped bass guitar but I haven't been able to get anything that sounds similiar to this one.
It sounds clean in the high and low end but with a distorted and gnarly character to it.

Attachments

• bass.mp3
    188.2 KB
Wild guess: to me it sounds like he recorded the instrument with a very low tuning. So low, and "incorrect" that the strings are flabby and produce this kind of loose feel.
Then lots of distortion, could be anything... maybe Sansamp(??)
...just a guess...

Sounds huge indeed, hehe. While this sample has a very wide stereo field even under 50Hz; in a final mix this probably would not be that wide, I guess (while it still would sound huge; just tested it, hehe).

I also guess that it might be a mix of different distortion and / or amps. Also there might be multiple layers of synths in it. Looking forward to other users replies. I am also curious about other ideas! (=

Sounds huge indeed, hehe. While this sample has a very wide stereo field even under 50Hz; in a final mix this probably would not be that wide, I guess (while it still would sound huge; just tested it, hehe).

I also guess that it might be a mix of different distortion and / or amps. Also there might be multiple layers of synths in it. Looking forward to other users replies. I am also curious about other ideas! (=
I hope someon can help us out. I don't think that there are any synths involved. Maybe multiple Bass Guitar Layers. If I run a bass guitar trough several AMPs, I just end up with a distorted metal guitar sound. It's not nearly as clean but huge as this one.

I hope someon can help us out. I don't think that there are any synths involved. Maybe multiple Bass Guitar Layers. If I run a bass guitar trough several AMPs, I just end up with a distorted metal guitar sound. It's not nearly as clean but huge as this one.
When using multiple AMPs together I would recommend using less gain to not overdistort the sound.

Great sound. Clearly sounds sampled (not live bass) because it's so consistent from note to note. Detuning as mentioned may be one way to get that buzz but I was also thinking maybe time-stretched. I don't have much time to try it out but I was briefly messing around with time-stretching and then pitch-stretching. One octave didn't do much but when I recorded a note two octaves up and then pitched down it started to sound close. I might even go as far as to double track it panned hard left/right with one side being pitched down 24 steps and the other side pitched down 25 steps, then the distortion, not super heavy though. OK just another wild guess...

EDIT: or just watch that JXL video posted above.

Top Bottom