How to mix orchestral music - what plugins?

Discussion in 'Composition, Orchestration & Technique' started by hansandersen, Dec 31, 2018.

1. marclawsonmusic

marclawsonmusic Senior Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Florida
    I was going to say something about orchestration before Nick (and Mike Fox) chimed in here... but to quote HZ: 'orchestration is mixing'. So getting a balanced template and focusing on MIDI programming are a great place to start.

Nick Batzdorf likes this.
  2. ghostnote

ghostnote Vincit qui se vincit.

Nov 3, 2011
    I agree. Had the chance to see the desk of a recording session of a concert performance the other day. Had a little chat with the engineer and noticed that the only thing that he processed was indeed the singers. The orchestra is built in mind to take advantage of the full spectrum and simultaniously leave every instrument section its own space.

Mixing samples tough, is different.

3. LowweeK

LowweeK Loïc D

Oct 12, 2015
    Paris, France
    Agree too.
    If the mix sounds bad, blame the arrangement / orchestration.

(That said I'm still at a stage where both orchestration & mix are guilty)

4. ChrisSiuMusic

ChrisSiuMusic Active Member

Dec 21, 2017
    If the arrangement is already great, check the balance between the instruments next. Mixing is really all about the balance between everything - you'll find automation plays a huge role in this.

5. bryla

bryla Senior Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Just to hit the point again: I get sent a lot of composer demos and their project files. The ones that sound best have the least amount of processing and clearest arrangement.

6. AdamKmusic

AdamKmusic Active Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Thinking about picking up Seventh Heaven (seen some comments in here about it), I'm currently running the demo version without an iLok but it says it requires it? In my iLok License Manager I have iLok cloud which it is registered on, can I use that full the version too? If anyone knows..

EDIT: Ahh basically an always online thing, guess I’ll skip until I get a ilok USB

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  7. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    By the way, the reason samples require so much work - or the main reason - is because they're not players listening to each other!

ghostnote and tmhuud like this.
  8. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Of course, it depends on the context. That wouldn't apply to electronica, for example!

But there is a temptation to keep adding stuff, just because we have it and feel like we should be using it.

9. bryla

bryla Senior Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Of course! The topic however is how to mix orchestral music.

10. ProfoundSilence

ProfoundSilence Member

Dec 10, 2018
    I don't think I've ever seen him say that, infact if anything stereotypical HZ has nothing to do with a traditional balanced orchestra

what you're saying is true about orchestral music ofcourse, it just doesn't really line up with something HZ himself seems like he'd say(or atleast he pretty much champions the exception of it)

11. marclawsonmusic

marclawsonmusic Senior Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Florida
    I was referring to this post from a few years back -> https://vi-control.net/community/threads/tips-on-improving-my-epic-percussions.37492/#post-3778925

12. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    From that link:

"I can control the mics in my sampler, but I love the sound of the room more than the close-mics. But obvious one trick that helps to preserve clarity is to move the far mics and out-riggers forward in time and line all the transients up. I know that's impossible in nature - that time is determined by the distance of one mic to the other - but it still gives me a huge sound without getting all that flammy transient shit."

What's unclear in my brain - assuming Hans is still talking about samples - is how he moves the far mics and out-riggers forward without also moving the transients they're married to, but that is an interesting post.

Also interesting: *increasing* the predelay on strings is a good way to get clarity + big sound.

13. Wally Garten

Wally Garten Active Member

Apr 23, 2018
    In context it reads (to me) like he's actually talking about new recordings just for that piece, rather than stock samples. So I'd assume he's using multiple tracks: close mics on one track, far mics on another. Then just edging the far mic audio backward slightly to line up its transient with the transient in the close mic track? Must be a VERY small nudge, though -- even if your far mics are quite far away, I can't imagine the transients are very far apart. But it makes sense that lining them up would provide better clarity.

14. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I think you're right that it's live recordings.

Just to be clear, lining up percussion transients is a standard thing. Engineers have been doing that with drum mics since Pro Tools (at least that's when I first heard of it).

Wally Garten likes this.
  15. dawelsch

dawelsch New Member

I suggest you spend time on your rudimentary skills in mixing and continue listening to great scores to get the cinematic sound in your head.

At the same time, I recommend watching this, and many others like it:

It is quite advanced, however, Jake’s philosophy of mixing is quite simple and interesting.

16. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    It is different, no question.

However, the "get it done quickly" film/TV sessions I'm talking about are somewhat different from regular classical recordings, which often have a lot of edits. And often there aren't even spot mics on live concert recordings (just a Decca tree or similar hanging from the ceiling - like EastWest's main mic position, by the way).

17. Mega

Mega New Member

Nov 14, 2018
    That's my number one crime. I love reverb!

Mike Fox and Wally Garten like this.